vitamin b12 deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm b12 deficiency. I was diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency in December 12th 2014. I've had 4 weekly injections so far.i get 1 more on Monday. Then every 3 months. I know it gets stored in the liver but how long will the 5 injections last. Before the 3 month injection. I'm on neo-cytamen 1000 micrograms. I'm scared confused I don't understand this.. my stomach wont produce b12.. I'm taking centrum for all the other vitamins because I don't know what else to do. My tongue is sore and the roof of my mouth.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

B12 can only be absorbed in your intestines from meat and dairy. If you have stomach problems then this can compromise the absorption of b12. For people with absorption problems b12 injections are given to provide the b12 your body needs.
    • Posted

Thanks heather. Your been very helpful to me. I got my injection last Tuesday I was fine but the next day I got an awful migraine I was due my periods it lasted 3 days. Then I got the pins and needles in my fingers and I had a twitch in my upper right arm. It's stopped now. I have my periods now head still hurting but not as bad. The blood test also came back that I have started early pre menopause..
    • Posted

The b12 injection will be repairing nerves and cells which can be symptomatic. It is a sign the b12 is working. Ensure your ferritin (iron stores) is not too low
    • Posted

I should add that low b12 affect your periods too. Some people do not get a period with low b12. My low b12 also causes nasty migraines. I had 9 loading injections over a 3 week period but I now get my b12 monthly as I feel symptoms worsening after 3 weeks. B12 needs a good level of folate to become active and enter your cells. Do you know your folate level?
    • Posted

No heather I don't know my folate level. Is that iron.. I eat weetabix and take centrum I still eat meat but I can't absorb the b12 from it. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan either.. I have no idea what I'm doing.. my shoulder is hurting maybe the way I was lying.. I have no idea.. I signed into you on face book don't know if I done that right either.
    • Posted

Folate is a b vitamin and is prescribed as folic acid. Ferritin is your iron stores. I will ask an admin to accept your request.
    • Posted

Heather sorry to bother you again. Can I ask you 1000 micrograms ml of b12 how much is that.. and does it all go into the liver...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.