Vitamin B12 deficiency and peri menopause / menopause

Posted , 13 users are following.

useful info .... 

Mild Symptoms

Fatigue, weakness and pale skin may be the first signs of a vitamin B12 deficiency. You may notice cracked lips or a ringing in the ears, and you might experience a loss of appetite or an altered sense of taste that causes food to taste funny or odd. Alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation are common, and some people may become dizzy when standing up. Fever or abdominal pain may also be present.

Mental Effects

A vitamin B12 deficiency can cause an altered mental state in severe cases. Advanced stages of a severe vitamin B12 deficiency can cause a state of confusion. Mild to moderate depression is a common symptom, but severe depression can also be the result of a deficiency.

Other Symptoms

According to Harvard Medical Publications, other symptoms may include a tingling sensation in the hands or feet, a stinging or burning sensation on the tongue, a bright red tongue, significant weight loss, yellowing of the skin and a rapid heart rate. It can also cause you to feel off balance or disoriented, which may worsen in darkness. Some people may lose the ability to tell the colors yellow and blue apart. You may be unable to feel vibrations in your feet or legs. Anemia may develop ..

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have just come across all this great info about petimenopause, how b6, b12 may help me.i have ALL the symptoms that have been talked about especially insomnia and terrible bloating.

I have just been to Holland and Barrett to buy the vitamins an notice it says that they are a food supplement would you know if this would make my bloating worst.

I was hoping the above vitamins will help me feel human again !!!lol.

thanks

• Posted

Hello tj

You need at least 100mg B6 every morning.

B12 the higher the mcg the better.

Insomnia.. Try chelated magnesium

Two before bed, very calming, relaxing, and great for lots if other things.

I use Solgar Chelated magnesium, its the better one and does not upset stomach.

Magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide can upset stomach as the are cheaper and have laxative effects.

Chelated best 😃

Jay xx

• Posted

Morning jay

thanku for ur reply.have brought some vit b6,12.

bit confused about mg an ug on the bottle.i brought b12 10ug an found it was only .01of a mg.i thort it was 10mg! So im going to have to take alot of them to make a difference !! I will have to go back to Holland and Barrett an get a higher dose.im not sure if you can buy a higher one as there website only sells 1000 ug which is only 10mg but ill have a look.

I will also look for the magnesium to.

I'll let you know. Thanks again. All ur info on here has been fab for me x

• Posted

Just found this. Thanks. Docs just found I have low B12, I have had all these symptoms, except the colour thing. I feel aweful. Hope I can get some treatment soon. xx
  • Posted

Hi jayneejay

its been 27 days since u gave me lots if great advice, thanku.

a fortnight ago I felt really good, a different woman.hormones settled alot better, mood swings alot better, sleeping better to.

in that fortnight I spring cleaned most of the house, I was running again an exercising again as my bones and body wasn't feeling so tight and stiff.GREAT.

however this week since the weekend, I'm not sure if it's because of the change in the clocks or what I feel dreadful, I can't sleep, my body feels like an old woman, aching, heavy, stiff.im back to feeling moody an blue, weepy.i cant exercise as I feel to exhausted! My stomach is do bloated again, I feel like a Michelin man!! ARHHHHH. I like the fortnight ago woman not this one.

I've upped my b6 an today I feel a bit better but all I want to do is get under my duvet an stay there!!!!

tj

• Posted

Hi TJ 

oh bless you hun, hope you have a better day tomorrow ..

some days are grim i know .... Then we have a great few days ..

i am post meno and i still find every six weeks ( like a pattern it is) 

i get three or four days where i feel awful then it passes and all is good again for a while .. 

Mind you with me being abit poorly lately ( not meno) it was suggested by doc i took some folic acid 400mcg and wow its given be a right boost.

( weird cuz we take this in pregancy and i always said i had more energy when i was pregnant then i ever had ) 😀

still get achy mind, but theres some fuel in the old engine 😃

Your not alone sweetie, chin up

jay x

• Posted

Morning jayneejay

thanks for the words, am feeling a bit better after upping my b6, like u say I seem to be great for a a week or two with the odd day bad then come crashing down for a week, not nice.oh to be a woman!!!!!!lol.i may give the folic acid a go, wod that be a high dose ur taking? Having never been pregnant im not sure about it, but have heard good things if wanting to get pregnant.

Tj

• Posted

Can this course tingling pins and needle sensation . I've had this feeling in my lip chin area . Only when I touch that area tho . I've also had burning tongue , sore throat , gums . I suffer with depression and anxiety so all think the worse ( Cancer ). I've been to ENT had camera into my throat everything was fine . Dentist they said my gums are fine . But every symptom I've got I freak out and always search Google .BAD MOVE as it's made my anxiety worse as it says cancer . I've just had blood test and it says I'm lack on folic acid vitamin b12 . I'm 26 year old female just want some answers . Has anyone had the same symptoms as me. I've had this everyday for 4 months now . Thankyou x
    • Posted

Hi I know some time has passed but have you tried taking oral B12?

If you are anxious there is a good chance you clench your jaw/grind your teeth at night. This will make your teeth sore. Your dentist can make a bite plate to wear at night to ease this.

B12 deficiency can give neuro symptons google b12deficiency.info and go to the site which has amazing resources.

• Posted

I am having these exact same symptoms on my chin/lip.  Whatever came of it? I am googling and driving myself crazy with worry. 
  • Posted

Hi Jayneejay,  thank you so much for your post, now I know exactly what to go to my GP with. I've been through the wars since Nov with pins & needles, heart racing, sore tongue etc and they have told me there is nothing wrong and all my bloods are coming back normal.  The bloods coming back normal is something I can't get my head around as I am a Coeliac and have been for 23 yrs, I use to receive Vitamin B12 injections but then the doc stopped them and said I didn't need them anymore but that was nearly 8 yrs ago.  I am 40 and it has also been suggested to me by other women that I may be peri menopausal but docs will not test me for this, I live in Ireland and it is a constant battle here with them as they treat you like children and you don't know what you are talking about.  Thank you again as I am going to try and see my gp today as again I am awake all night oops sorry did I not mention that I am an insomniac also sad will let you know how I get on smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.