Vitamin c and spotting

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi Lady's I have been using the 500mg of vitamin C to help regulate my ph ...been using it on and off for two to three months now....1 tablet inserted vaginally when I notice BV symptoms acting up....it really works for the odor..I have also been on the pill for 3 months now....last month I notice blood when I would wipe on and off through the month....just a tinge of pink....this month the same thing...and ( not to be to graphic  but) when I wipe there seems to be bits of skin tissue also....just wondering if I am alone in this ? Thanks for listening : ) 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Collette,

Vitamin C actually causes the uterine lining to thin, so the blood and tissue you are seeing is caused by that. I would take precautions in the bedroom, so to speak.

You're better off inserting an Acidophillis tablet instead to balance the PH. Or take a good quality prebiotic (not probiotic - they are less effective).

Hope this reassures you a bit. It's not serious, so don't worry. x

• Posted

PS: When I say 'take precautions', I mean the contraceptive pill thickens the lining so as to prevent pregnancy, but since you are thinning it, there is a chance of pregnancy, so use another contraceptive, alongside the pill for a while to be sure you won't conceive. x
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply...I hope I didn't do any damage as I have been using it quite a bit...and I am on the pill so at least that is good to hear...I have been taking probiotics and folic acid and vitamin d...nothing seems to be making a difference...I will quit using the vitamin c as I don't want to cause any permanent damage 
  • Posted

Hi again!

It's okay, you won't have caused any damage, it's just shed like it would during a period. That's why it isn't good to take lots of vit C whilst pregnant, due to the thinning effect it has on the uterus and therefore a possibility of miscarriage. 

I was taking probiotics for a while, but didn't actually find they helped much, so I researched them vs prebiotics and apparently prebiotics are far more effective in your digestive system than probiotics. Maybe try one that is predominantly PREbiotic with an added PRObiotic, or just use organic natural yogurt topically or acidophillis tablets (as a pessary), like I suggested.

BV is a nightmare, so I really sympathise with you! You can actually buy BV gels and pessaries from Amazon and other sites, but it's too pricey if you suffer chronically. It would be nice if more research was done regarding BV and treatments for it.

Hope you feel better soon, don't worry about long term damage, you won't have caused any. Just stop using the vit c and it will right itself.

By the way, folic acid is not very good for you, it has been studied and shown to cause problems in the long term. It a man made version of folate (which is sourced from food). Try taking a high quality folate and B vitamin complex, with Evening Primrose oil to balance your hormones. It worked great for me.

smile x

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice....I didn't realize there were prebiotics....will have to look on Amazon and see what I find : )  with all the money spent trying to treat BV I could have taken a nice relaxing vacation by now : )  I was taking super B complex but they were giving me upset stomach....I am going to a new Gyno on Tuesday....not going to take any antibiotics they just make everything worse...hope they have some insight....thanks again  
    • Posted

You're welcome smile I am glad I may have helped. I hope all goes well for you with the new Gyno!! It's a real pain in the beep when you can't find a solution or answer to something like this! And all the money you spend, like you said. lol

Yeah, antibiotics are not always the best route with things like this as they kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, as I am sure you know by now! 

I wish you well smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.