Vitamin C in vagina for BV - yellow/green discharge? Makes things worse?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi there. I've had BV for the past 5 years. It have NEVER gone away. It is always there, its fishy/amonia smell, yellow/green discharge, the smell... I really empathise with anyone else who has gone through this HELL.

I've tried everything to get rid of it: rephresh gel inserts, different type of probiotics (including the special probiotics especially for BV with reuteri), I drink kefir everyday, I've dried douching with hydrogene pyroxide solution which does help the smell but it comes back, I've tried inserting feminine probiotics into my vagina, but that makes things worse.

I don't drink alcohol. I don't eat wheat or grains or sugar.

I know for a fact it's not an STD (I'm a lesbian.)

Doctors have NO CLUE how to fix this. They just say to clean better and don't use soap down there and don't wear tight underwear. Like, yes, thank you very much I never would have thought of that! That was really worth waiting months for this appointment for that information! neutral

I use home testing strips and the PH of my vagina ranges between a 7 and 9 which is too high and is indicative of BV. A normal vagina PH is about a 4. So SOMETHING is off down there and I want my PH to get down to normal.

So I tried inserting Vitamin C tablets, plain tablets not chewable or sweet, into my vagina and it just makes things worse, it seems. I'm so depressed because of this and I was hopeful that Vitamin C would help change my vaginal PH back to normal to get the good bacteria growing again. It's just the opposite though with even stronger yellow and green itchy discharge after using the Vitamin C.

I'm using 500mg per tablet, uncoated, at night, sometimes even twice per day and yet the PH of my vagina still isn't changing. I've used the Vitamin C up there for the past 3 days.

Has this yellow discharge happened to anyone else after using Vitamin C in their vagina?

I read that people here saw results virtually overnight. Did anyone have to use the Vitamin C for longer than a few days before they saw results?

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi rachel

First off, big hugs this is miserable.

Second.. This needs a Gyno to check as PH is very high.

Sounds like trich..

My BV was cured with a great Gyno.

3 nights Clindamycin vaginal ovules

Followed by 3 nights Thrush cream

Repeated a month later.

Always take pro biotic orally daily

I take acidophilus pro biotic.

Dont suffer .. This can cause damage.

Get it diagnosed, BV, CV or Trich

GP or Docs i think dont have a clue in womens problems ( some)

Gyno is what you want ..

Pap smear, and swabs

Good luck

Jay x

• Posted

Hi Rachel, for me with severe bv for years - the ONLY thing that worked was change of diet to include lots of vegetables (especially green leafy ones which will add essential nutrients that you need to beat this) plus GOOD QUALITY probiotics. Patience is also extremely important as it took between 2-3 months of doing this for it to work. The probiotics I used is called Symprove. It is expensive but it was worth it
  • Posted

The vitamin C will create a ton of discharge. Could it be that it just seems worse at first? I imagine all the discharge is all that bacteria that does not want to be there. The bacteria that preferred the higher pH environment and they are now leaving because the pH is going down.
  • Posted

Anastasia, excuse me, but are you speaking directly to me when you say "quick fixes"?  I mean, you did reply directly to my comment.  Can you please list which are quick fixes and which are not?  Because, like is said, I'm still trying to figure this out...I'd sincerely like to know.  You seemed to insinuate that everything I said I am doing is a quick fix. Are they?  Thank you.
    • Posted

I know im not anastasia but what I've come to realize is that chronic bv is often the result of an underlying cause in the body. Something that is putting you out of ballance. Some people's hormones are out of balance so when they get put on things like progesterone cream they get better. Some people are anemic or vitamin D deficient so when they suppliment iron or D they get better. BV can also be related to issues within the gut. Women may have an overgrowth of yeast in Their system or even small parasites they are unaware of (i know groseto think about haha) that makes it harder for the body to keep the bv away. So cleansing the system from the inside out can help a lot to get to the root of the problem. Plus eliminating sugar for a couple months can help your body starve the bad bacteria because that is what yeast and bacteria feed on. Usually if you have a chronic issue simply treating the vagina without thinking about the rest of the body will not stop the bv forever.
    • Posted

Hi Patricia, please don't take anything I said personally. I did not mean to upset you or anyone. The only reason I replied to you was in response to your comment, 'Most of us have to maintain, we never completely cure.' I wanted to give you and everyone else hope that it can be cured. Then the next bit was just to advise anyone who is suffering with this that it will Not work with quick fixes I.e anything that is just temporarily masking the problem. Many people (including myself in the past) also tried the quick fixes. I.e antibiotics, hydrogen peroxide, balance activ, boric acid, the list goes on and on. The only way to fix this is to understand why this is happening - i.e an imbalance of bacteria and correcting that. Then eating a healthy diet that maintains the balanced gut microbiome. I hope that makes sense - I really did not intend to offend anyone.
    • Posted

So here is my advice about what the protocol is if you want to deal with the root cause.

Find a good nutritionist who can do the relevant tests. Stool tests are a good way to find out what your bacteria status is in your gut and whether you have parasites and/or a yeast overgrowth.

If you cannot afford to do this, it will be more difficult but still very possible. What I would do is cut out at least sugar and alcohol, fruit (except for one piece of low sugar fruit per day e.g blueberries) no dried fruit, no honey. I also cut out dairy and wheat, potatoes and basically followed a low carb diet such as the GAPS or SCD diet - with minor changes. Add in lots of vegetables - especially green leafy veg. The next important thing to add in is a good quality probiotic. I used Symprove for

3 months and it worked within 2 months. I have no more BV symptoms. I hope this helps - and if you require more information (as I may have left out some info) please feel free to ask. I know this is not an easy thing to do but it's worth it for your overall Heath. Remember, you are getting symptoms because your body is not in balance and so you can reverse this by simply changing your diet for a couple of months and then you can start adding in foods again to your diet and go easy on the sugar in the future to avoid having more symptoms in the future. Good luck everyone!

• Posted

Rachel,

I too went through the same thing for 5yrs. I eventually realized it was due to my cycle. Your menstrual cycle can cause the PH balance to change. Try fem dophilus, it's a probiotic and it cleared my BV up for good. If it doesn't work try taking 2 pills a day instead of 1. That's what I had to do. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hey Rachel love I literally registered just to tell u this but even though you're a lesbian u can still catch a std and your doctors should have prescribed u Flagyl it rids bv within 7 days. It's the nastiest pills youll ever take but it will rid the smell the irritation bv period. Do some research on the treatment it WILL work I assure you.
  • Posted

I tried the vitamin C for 2 nights. Yesterday it seem like it was working but then in the evening I started having chalky discharge. I decided to put the vitamin C again last night. Today I produced heavy, yellow discharge. I'm not going to put the vitamin C again tonight I'm kind of freaked out. I washed my Flower with apple cider vinegar. I've been taking supplements and vitamins to help this. Tonight I'm going to try a rephresh gel that's intended for three nights hopefully this works.
    • Posted

I'm glad I'm not alone in this . the second day i inserted the vitamin c I noticed the tampon had blood and yellow discharge and little specs of light green on it . it's honestly scaring me sad . I have kept up the treatment for a whole 7 days however I didn't do it twice a day up until the 3rd day though , I assumed it was working due to the discharge . what ended up being your solution ?

• Posted

I also should mention there is no odor , nor itching .
  • Posted

Hi , yes it will be a little discharge after using the vitiamin C. But that ok. It will clear up. You have to insert the vitiamin C inside morning and night to see results for 3 days. You can also take probiotic and cranberry vitamins together once a day to keep the bv away
    • Posted

Hi Jasmine, how many days to insert vitamin C in it and how many days the discharge will be gone? It's been 3 months I have it, but I am not sure what I'm having right now. The first month was itchy and has unpleasant smell. Few weeks ago, I started to eat lots of yogurt(475 g of yogurt per day sometimes 950g) and garlic(3-4 cloves something I took 3-6 cloves per day). I use water to wash it, no douches. I've use neo-penotran forte vaginal suppository for 7 days. I inserted it twice a days in the morning and night. The last time i insert it, was on Monday( 3 days ago). Do you have any idea how long it takes to clear the dischage. I've check Google about neo penotran and it mentions that it can cure trich, Bv, and candidal infection. Is there anyone ever tried neo penotran?

• Posted

Hi all,I have had green discharge for nearly 3 months now,there hasn't been any odour and no itching,I've had antibiotics that didn't clear it,had high vaginal swabs and they were all clear of infection,could it still be BV?? I suffer with health anxiety and this is making worry that it could be something serious as swabs came back clear of infection,not having a reason for it makes the anxiety worse.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

• Posted

Hello Bonnie , my vaginal swabs had also came out negative for anything as well . Turns out it was my birth control skyla .Once I had it removed discharge continued for a few days but then stopped all together. Scary . It was creating a cyst soooo glad I got it taken out . Hope this helps .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.