vitamin D

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just had a call from the doctor after my recent blood tests my Vitamin D level is extremely low . Anyone else had this with the menopause?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

YES

I had bloods done last week after seeing my gp for feeling I was goin insane n not feeling well or getting better so tired n fatigued sickly n felt terrible

I'd been commenced on HRT but it gave me jittery feeling n morning sickness type feeling

Taken off it n gave me citalompram n some sleepers I took them for few days but after the sleepers I felt weirdly spaced out so have done without, the evening of having multiple bloods done 1 for vit -d i gn I've just started to feel better in my head

• Posted

Oops sent b4 finished

Got a call from gp at 6pm my vit-d was deficient n low so commenced me on 1 tablet daily fir 2 weeks n then I need 1 a month long term

Hope yu feel better soon x

• Posted

Interesting isn't it maybe it is a deficiency in menopausal women. I have a telephone consultant on Monday but like you I have the same symptoms and suffer greatly with joint and back hip pain and anxiety. I have been drinking cucumber water for over 2.5 weeks and only had 1 hot flush so it's defiantly helped with those as was having at least 2/3 a day 👏👏
    • Posted

Hi

I Havnt had probs with hot flushes just the aches n pains n excruitiating at time to the point I ? I had something seriously wrong with me had MRI on back which didn't find anything apart from degenerative changes that was January then in march both knees scanned and same again I got referred as I was told if symptoms worsened I cud have keyhole to look around knees had left 1 scoped on Tuesday n had miniscus tidied up quite painful at the minute just hoping it helps to get me going again feel slightly better in myself but still hobbling a bit n I feel quite tired today as no sleep Wednesday night after being 24hr post op had early night last night but disturbed sleep with leg pain n stiffened joint just praying I'll be ok sad

• Posted

It's not just a problem with the menopause

Here in the UK we are finding more and more people (men, women and children, regardless of age) have got low vitamin D levels due to the lack of sun or people spending more time indoors.

I usually "top up " with a vitamin D supplement during the winter months or if I spend more time indoors. (I take calcium with vitamin D & K so I'm helping my bones too - important during and after the menopause)

• Posted

It not only bones effected im interested in the fact it can cause anxiety depression shaking side of it Vitamin D depletion and think if it's as simple as that we should talk about it in case it could be why some in the group are suffering so bad with menopausal symptoms smile
  • Posted

Hi Caz,

It's not limited to menopause, I know quite a few people that have this issue including relatives that live in FL and are outside a good deal of the time. Not sure what the explanation is, but I've taken Vit D supplements for several years now and my levels have been in the good range since.

This is easily fixed by taking the Vitamin D3 pill.

Hope you are doing ok otherwise. 

Annie xx

• Posted

Here in UK it is common.

79% of patients tested at our GP's practise have very low levels and 39% are chronically low

• Posted

I understand what everyone is saying but I for one didn't realise the effects it can have on your body so surely raising the debate in case others like myself where unaware and if it wasn't anything to worry about why would you GP want to test for it and want to treat it in menopausal women and a lot of symptoms we all suffer during this period of our lives. So by raising awareness to others surely can't be a bad thing .
    • Posted

I for one will now be taking a supplement something I wouldn't be taking if it wasn't alerted to the deficiency
    • Posted

Oh no it's not a bad thing to raise awareness. I sure didn't mean to imply that at all.  

In my case, along a few family members, none of us had the typical symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency and mine was pretty low. Ours were found on routine yearly tests, apparently they are including this test now.  For me, I didn't and still don't notice any change even with levels back in the normal range. 

Now it may make all the difference in the world for others, as always, we're all unique and what might affect one, won't another.

Thanks for sharing this Caz as it's important to let others know of what may be an easy fix for them. 

Annie xx

• Posted

Common, common. D3 is the best to supplement. X
  • Posted

my doctor recommended that I had a blood test to check Vit D levels, and sure enough I was low, so now take ultra vitamin D3 1000 IU strength, got a great deal from Vitabiotic s I think it was - he said that most people in the UK should be on a Vitamin D supplment, I am now 18 months post last period - I did stop taking it a few weeks ago figuring summer was on the way, but I started to get very achey legs at night so started it again and legs now ok... hope thats helpful to you :-)
  • Posted

Thanks very helpful as I suffer dreadfully with leg hip pain there feel like I can't go on anymore at times so just sit down where ever I am sad can anyone recommend a supplement that ain't to big to swallow as have dreadful trouble taking tabs . No worries Annie xxx
    • Posted

I was tested for vit d deficient n came bk low commenced on capsule 1 everyday for 21days then 1 monthly long term very easi to swollow just like a cod liver oil capsule but no regurgitation from it lol I'm starting to feel slightly better as I had not 1oz of energy n very low in mood but not sure if it's the vit-d or not as I'm also on an antidepressant so it may be both that's helping

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.