Vitamin D Deficiency

Posted , 14 users are following.

In March 2016 I was tested for Vitamin D after complaints of aching/weak legs and hips as well as headaches, strange vision, extreme tiredness and a fullness in my head like it was filled with expanding foam. The results came back and my level was 14. It took another 3 appointments and 2 months before they finally treated me with 20,000IU tablets everyday for 2 weeks.

My levels have returned to normal, however, all of the symptoms persist to some extent 3 weeks after taking the tablets; particularly the leg aches.

My question is: how long will it be before I'm likely to feel any better? Is there some time before my body reacts to the increase in Vitamin D or is it likely that the problem lies somewhere else?

Thanks,

James

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi just wondered if things have imoroved for you it's been a while since this post I know. I've similar symptoms that's why I'm interested

• Posted

The symptoms haven't really improved much. I've been to see an osteopath and that has helped to relieve some of the head pressure.

Mostly I've just got used to it and am now getting on with things. I'm still trying to find what exactly is wrong with me though.

• Posted

Hi James

I've been diagnosed with CFS/ME and like you my vitamin levels keep dropping just recently been given a prescription 50,000 iu a week for 6 weeks but took only 25,000 iu and had awful headaches like pressure on top of my head with this dose so taking 3000 sublingual spray daily now, which i buy myself. 

I also have B12 deficiency i cant function on levels under 600 since getting my levels up myself I feel a lot better the doctor was letting my levels fall to 300 on the pathetic 3 monthly b12 inj so i stopped them. I take my own sublingual spray methylcobalamin daily and keep my levels up now, my haematologist wrote to my doctor they said it was fine and he had to moniter my bloods, good job they did my doctor said im only testing your vit D because the hospital told me to, even though I have been vit D deficent before. Most doctors haven't got a clue of how ill these deficiencies make you.

I hope you find answers to your problems, I go on FB groups for my vit D and vit B12 there helpful, if I listened to my doctor I would still be in my bed everyday.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your comment. I havent been defficient for some time and my fatigue has certainly improved, however, it is still there a little. I climbed Scafell Pike recently!

The main symptoms that remain are my vision problems and head pressure. I'm visiting a neurologist soon in the hope of getting some answers.

I hope your condition improves with time. I know some people with CFS/ME and I'm always humbled by their resilience and strength.

Thanks,

James

• Posted

Hi Cabernet61 I'm trying to look at the group in fb about the vit d defiency but I couldn't find it. I saw one group and liked it but didn't show all the post there. What group is that. Thanks a lot and hope you well. God Bless!

• Posted

Hi, The group for vit deficiency is - Vitamin D Deficiency UK

The last time I had vit D deficiency I was given 800iu and it took 6 months to get from 37 to 96. Thank you for the well wishes I hope your health improves soon. All the best.

• Posted

Hi Cabernet61

Thanks for your reply😘 Do you feel tired quickly also like today you're fine then the next day you feel like your very tired. Only moving around the house then later on you feel very tired. I can't wait to be normal again coz I'm working 12 hours shift😞 That's worries me a lot😥Thanks again 😘

• Posted

Hi, Ive been to CFS/ME clinic and I learnt that I need to pace myself, I was doing to much and then would be in bed for days, to get my energy back. If you go on that FB group your see a lot of people suffer with both b12 and vit D deficiency so get both checked they cause such of lot problems, also Thyroid, Ferritin (Iron) they will all make you feel extremely tired, achy, depressed and dizzy if low. You do work long hours it must be awful for you. Give your vit D a chance to work and like I say 800iu vit D took 6 months to get my level up, and they say on vit D group you need to take a higher dose vit D with vitamin k2.
    • Posted

Helo again Cabernet61

What supplement did you take coz I went back to my Gp last Wednesday coz from the fb group they said fultium is banned in other country because of the content of it so I told my Gp about it she's very nice and I told her that I will buy own over the counter and asking her if it's the same dosage I will take because she told me that my vit d is insufficient and not deficiency it was 37 also she told to take the multivitamins only which is not enough for the 800iu that they prescribed before. I'm only taking multivitamins at the moment coz I ordered mine online quite strange coz my tiredness is not the same like when I'm taking fultium .From the fb group they have a protocol that they follow but i find it too much to take so I order only 1000iu. I ordered some magnesium and vit k as what they recommend from the group as well. Just want to ask if you take that also. Thanks Cristina xxx

• Posted

Hi Christina42849

My GP gave me Invita D3 25,000 ampoules x 2 a day which didnt agree with me. I cant afford all they suggest on FB group and everyone absorbs differently you just need to keep a check on you vit D levels every 3 months or so. I take vitamin D3 sublingual spray 3000iu a day and vitamin B12 methylcobalamin sublingual spray 900iu a day spread out (the spray suggests 1200iu a day 4 sprays) but i have my levels up high now and tingling in my hands has gone, I had been having B12 injections for about 7 years, 1 every 3 months I cant cope on this its not enough, all my levels went low and was getting lots of symptoms so decided to stop injection and treat myself, hosp wrote to GP and he has to moniter me so my levels dont drop, my B12 levels havnt dropped and I got them up to 1095 and my bloods have been ok. I dont keep getting ill now 6 weeks before inj is due. I also take magnesium chloride which I rub in my skin I havnt got K2 yet but will be getting it. The B12, D3 and magnesium are all from BetterYou I use sprays now they go right into your blood without going through the stomach. Im not cured but I dont get them awful low's now waiting for a B12 injection.

xxx

• Posted

Hi I should have said B12ug not iu and the B12 spray also has chromium and green tea extract. Also if GP will not check your vit D level again BetterYou do a vitamin D home test for around £28 they use an NHS hospital and you also get a vit D spray with this price.

• Posted

Hi James I'm recently diagnosed of vit d defiency just last January and because of that I've been off sick from work for two weeks because my Gp put me on steroids mistakenly diagnosed me to polymyalgia rheumatica because of my crp was high but steroids never help and my husband even suggesting my Gp to test me for my vit d long time ago coz I'm always complaining of back pain and and shoulder pain but keeps on ignoring us I'm seeing deffirent Gp on my local clinic but all of them saying the same thing, but because this steroids never help the pain and put me into worst situation like severe depression and extremely fatigue dizziness couldn't sleep properly my Gp also send me for myeloma blood test and thank God results was negative after hearing that my strength back to normal but because vit d result took time to came back I was so hopeless because I'm starting to feel more tired and depress but anyway after two weeks of waiting my Gp told me that it was vit d defiency and prescribed me 800iu of vit d supplement I'm taking it for two weeks now but my fatigue still there, reading all the comments from the forum it will take time to recover the fatigue and it worries me because I'm working 12 hours shift and I'm working permanent night that's why I think I got this defiency. My work send me for physiotherapist. And from the various forum I haven't read anyone that went for Physio Do you think my Physio will help me for my pain. The pain that I'm experiencing right now is on and off it will feel better if I put ibuprofen gel but I'm afraid that if my Physio will massage the painful area it will be worst and more inflamed. And from your experience is that pain cause you more fatigue. Thanks hope you read my message xx

• Posted

Hi Cristina, I was wondering with your vitamin d deficiency, do you get random high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat?

I absolutely understand the extreme fatigue, it's unreal. I had to quit my job and can't barely do any chores, it's that bad.

Neck and shoulder pain is always there and muscle weakness. I go to physical therapy for it but it always comes back. The muscle always spasm and tense back up.

Hope you are getting better

• Posted

Hi All,

I have only just been diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency- (level was 14) and low iron (level was 10) after 3 months of having depression (and still) back and limb pains, always being freezing cold even in warm weather, numbness in fingers.

As well as this i have had some regular migranes and at the moment i have quite bad headache on my right side of my temple which also is behind my eye socket. Its like a stabbing pain.

I have always been an active person but im so tired and 'woozy' at times. Like i have no energy to stand up.

I have to take 2 tablets now for life of vitamin D and Iron too.

Has anyone else felt such symptoms especially the pain? Wondered if it was possibly due to laser eye surgery which i had about 5 years ago.

• Posted

My level was severely low, it's been 11 months and my vision has yet to improve. Not sure at this point if it will.

• Posted

Jeremy, vitamin d depletes retinol vitamin A, that's why you been having vision issues. Build your levels back up with cod liver oil, eating beef liver or take dessicated liver capsules, eat eggs and butter.

Hopefully your vision is your only issue, vitamin d does deplete other minerals also.

• Posted

Hi Tara

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing a vitamin d protocol. I have incorporated those in mine diet. Unfortunately, my doctors did me a grave danger of only putting me on 1,500 iu weekly when my levels were at 10. I have suffered greatly due to that and I put myself on 50,000 iu weekly . I have severe issues. I actually have vitamin d induced muscles wasting, digestion, nerve and hypertension issues. Doctors fail to recognize the importance of vitamin D and they only think bone loss . This was later confirmed at Mayo clinic. I had a hair sample that showed low magnesium , calcium, zinc and copper due to vitamin d being the catalyst. My doctors failed me..

• Posted

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I am also doing a protocol to undo the damage done by vitamin d also. I have all the symptoms that you just described. The symptoms were worser then but on the protocol my symotoms are improving little by little.

How long have you been on your protocol? Are you getting better? I'm only on month 3, I still have a long way to go. I heard it could take at least 18 plus months to recover.

I knew I wasn't the only one going through this, and doctors think that it's not possible for vitamin d to do this. They are very misinformed.

Keep me posted on your progress and I hope you continue to get better everyday.

• Posted

Thank you Taro,

I've been on it for 11 months, however the true road to recovery I've only been on for about 8 months after I took matters into my own hands. I went back to my doctor and gave him the diagnosis, he was speechless and mad. I told him in the beginning that it was vitamin D and he said "nonsense". I have slight improvement. I have developed chronic fatigue syndrome because of this. I'm trying very hard and unable to work. The pain and brain fog are the worst. I had a hair simple ordered from Amazon which showed far more than any blood test. I hope you see improvement and I will stay in touch. It's nice to talk to someone who understands. Even though it's under these circumstances. Hang in there.

• Posted

Your situation is very similiar to mine and my doctors have diagnosed me with CFS also because all test has come back negative and they are stumped.

I had to quit working also, yes the pain, brain fog, headpressure, fatigue and lack of memory and concentration. I understand completely.

I think being vigorous with getting magnesium in the cells helped me. By taking a slow release form of magnesium, doing magnesium chloride foot soak, and magnesium chloride with vodka spray. I notice it eases the pain.

Taking boron to get the calcium back into the bones helps. Everyday is a struggle and we have no choice but to press forward. Things will get better in time. Stay positive even on the rough days.

• Posted

Taro

There's a product I take called Fulvitea that has helped me. It's rather expensive but it's the most comprehensive supplement all natural I could find. Google it and see what you think. Yes magnesium has helped and I ordered some HMB to stop further muscle wasting. I'll share with you anything I can .

• Posted

Thank you Jeremy, I will look that up. I too have muscle wasting and I tried lifting weights, boy was that a mistake, it depleted me. Not a very good idea. Yes, let me know what is working for you and I will try it.
    • Posted

I tried the weights too, it just caused further damage. Of course you know the doctors ...."exercise....that's all" no not always. Take care

• Posted

Lol, yup doctors it's exercise or they think you need to talk to a counselor. Yes, you take care too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.