Vitamin D Deficiency and Bone Pain

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficency 9 weeks ago. My level was 25. My dr prescribed 1 tablet twice a week of the D3 20,000 IU tablets. My symptoms were fatigue, bone pain and a mildly elevated ALP level (110-118).

My bone pain comes and goes but when it hurts it really hurts. At the moment it's effecting my shoulder tips, collar bone, Breast bone, wrists and hips. I am also suffering with a cramping pain in my calves.

I mentioned this to my dr and because of my suspected malabsorption he checked my vit d levels. As of yesterday they are 85. He is pleased with this and advised me that although it is normal if I stopped the pills it would probably drop straight back down.

If regards to my bone pain he said it probably still my vitamin d levels and I need to give it 6 months. I have another 2 weeks on high dose then I'm on maintenance vitamin d for 2-3 months.

I have been checked for rheumatoid arthritis, my calcium is back to normal (it was low in the begining) and so is my full blood count.

Has anyone else experienced this? The pains in my bones hurt so much!

What else could it be?

Thank you taking the time to read.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Has anyone ever had dizziness with their vitamin d deficiency?

Just found out my levels are 24. Taking 5 tablets a day. And doctors have been really good as I'm in for my first blood test to check my levels only one week later. I have painful thighs, wrists arms and shins, head shooting pains. My vision was bad at first but got better on its own. I'm not really ever over tired just the normal. My hands and feet tingle and I've noticed cramping in my calves and buttocks lately to. My muscle sometimes spasm aswell. Does anyone else experience this?

• Posted

Hi Jess - just found out my iron is low as are my Vit D levels . . . I'm also taking 5 tablets a day and gp plans to do a follow up.   I've had muscle pains, persistent low mood and  recently broke my hip so they're also doing a bone scan to check for osteoporosis . . . how are you doing two months on?   

• Posted

Hi Jess, I just posted a response to Gem1384

Best, Kay

• Posted

Very glad i read your story my vision has also been weird and muscle spasmsand pain in calves many of the same symptoms you have!
  • Posted

Hi

I just got my Vitamin D results today and found out it was 20.4. Been having serious pain in my tail bone and have had coritsone injections for the last 3 years. Also the muscles in my legs ache and my feet tingle in the toes and h urts to walk sometimes.  I will be so glad to find out if this vitamin D thing has been the culprit.

• Posted

Hi Kay69708,

I know it’s been 8 months since you found out about your vitamin d deficiency.  Was vitamin d the culprit as you mentioned? Or what happened? Would love to know how it all went. 

• Posted

Hi Viviana, thanks for your reply and yes the vitamin D3 I started taking in fish oil made my vitamin D level completely normal. it has not helped the tailbone pain issue I have but I am going to a new doctor on Monday who offers a laser type of treatment so all hope is not lost thank you and I pray all is well with you!
  • Posted

I am a patient of one of the most respected hospitals in Boston. These Hospitals are the envy of the US.

I was in a motor vehicle accident, but started to develop pain all over my body months later. The only part of my body was not affected was my face. My elbows had no tendon reflexes.

My ankle joints ,toes, leg weakness,

Hamstrings , forearms, elbows, forearms, armpits, under collar bone, tender to touch under below breast bone area, lowest rib pain, sternum, upper back, midback, lower back , scapula , triceps, biceps, fingers, toes, wrists, buttocks, groin in awful pain.

I was given an Epstein Barr Virus test by a brilliant Neurologist, nothing. A good clinician , but on the right idea. A bone scan looking for cancer. Both negative.

Well, I saw a Rheumatologist. Wanted some tests on Vitamin D and explained how important it is. Test result, was 8. Should be between 25- 60. Other tests fine. I suffered for months in chronic pain want offered steroid shots.

My advice, do not be afraid to ask your PCP for a Vitamin D test, it is a simple test and If you happen to feel lousy and tired insist on it as well. Don't waste you money on steroid shots, until you are certain that even areas of some of the pain described , not all , is not from a Vitamin D deficiency or if you take Cholesteral medicine , any statin can cause this as well. Fibromyalgia patients too.

These statins get in to your muscles the same way. You must rule these out as well.

I am not pleased that vitamin D was not checked and thousands of dollars were spent on other useless blood tests w/o one simple Vitamin D test

If I help one person, I am happy.

You will not be sorry you looked into this.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.