Vitamin D3 deficiency

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone in this forum been diagnosed with Vitamin D3 deficiency too?

I got the results now and mine is 4! Incredibly low...

This may explain some of the symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia although, certainly, not all of them. Any testimonials?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't been diagnosed but I have read quite a bit about it when I first started getting my symptoms and it does look like it causes a lot of the symptoms of fibro. At the very least treating this deficiency could greatly ease your symptoms!
    • Posted

Yeah, I'm quite angry. Why wasn't this test done before? It was i who mentioned it to my internal medicine doctor.  I feel I have to be studying (really hardworking at it) to claim proper care.  
    • Posted

I am surprised that it isn't one of the things they check for before giving a diagnosis. I know my diagnosis was pushed back a year because of a B12 deficiency, why not check for other deficiencys too?

Did your doctor say that you might not have fibro then? 

I might ask my doctor about getting tested next time I go up, it's worth checking all avenues. I'm sorry it's been so hard for you to get the right care.

• Posted

I was tested for lots of things but apparently not for all the necessary and most obvious ones. I suggested to my GP to take LDN which I am currently taking. I have felt improvement but now I understant why not as much as I should have.Thanks!
    • Posted

What's LDN? I might just start taking vitamin D whilst I wait to see the doctor. I'm already taking B vitamins to boost my energy, won't hurt to add viut D to the mix
    • Posted

Yes, Leimo, do that better safe than...

LDN is Low Dose Naltrexone. I've got a discussion here on it. Please have a look at it. If you still have doubts come back to me. You can pm me.

About the vitamin D…

I'm in Portugal. Some 3 years ago I asked my GP if I might have a vitamin D deficiency - because the deficiency symptoms matched some of mine. He recited the classical adage for vitamin D: "There's a lot of sun outside it's enough just to walk around for 10 minutes". A turn out it’s not. I cover myself with sfp 50 sunscreens because I’ve got sun allergies and I get sun “polymorphe erythema”. This causes permanent skin lesions that don’t go away unless I have laser on them. No it’s not like frekkles…

The problem is that, now I’ve learned, sunscreens prevent vitamin D intake. So, the only way is supplement on a regular basis.

• Posted

I had no idea sunscreen stopped us absorbing vitamin d. Your doctor obviously had no clue either. That's crazy. Don't use it and the damage caused by the sun increases, use it and you don't get the vitamin d you need. I will take a look at it and get back to you Teresa.
    • Posted

I will have a look at that, thanks Teresa. Oh wow, I had no idea that sunscreen stopped us absorbing vitamin d. 
    • Posted

An did you know that the best time to get your vitamin D from sun exposure is what we call here "the cancer hours" (11am-4pm)? Crazy isn't it?

How do you deal with that?

• Posted

Seriously? So getting your vitamin d the 'natural way' just doesn't cut it anymore. I wonder how long it will take doctors to catch on to this.
  • Posted

Keep on studying: the best supplementation seems to be Calcifediol ( same as 25-hydroxycholecalciferol or 25-hydroxyvitamin D). 

Any views? 

I'll have to take a suggestion for prescriptiontwisted!

• Posted

Dr. Reinhold Vieth is a major worl expert on Vitamin D.
  • Posted

Hi Teresa

I know both by vit D and iron levels were low, so my GP put me on three months worth of tabs.  When I went back and had another blood test both my levels had gone up.  Although I was low, and after taking them, it didn't really make any difference to my pains. I am happy that the levels are back up again. wink x

• Posted

Hi Bee, So you didn't improve with the supplementation, is that it? What are your D levels now?
    • Posted

Hi Teresa

It was at level 4 but did go upto 99!  No I didn't feel any different or reduction in my pain levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.