Vitamin K2 etc.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Been doing a bit of wombling round nutrition wesites etc.

A few quotes

"Vitamin K2 is mainly found in meat, egg yolk, liver, butter, hard cheese, soft cheese and natto"

(Not sure about trying Natto though - apparently somewhat smelly fermented soy beans)

"Cheese contains the powerful nutritional triad of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K2, which together channel calcium into your bones and teeth while keeping it out of your arteries; this, combined with its omega-3 fats, make cheese a very heart-healthy food"

"Excellent cheese picks due to their high K2 levels are Edam, Gouda, and brie, but cheddar, Colby, hard goat cheese, Swiss and Gruyere are good choices as well"

Fortunately thusband (the one with PMR, GCA) is fond of cheese.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Whoa....I understood that K2 is very difficult to get from food alone. Hence, I’ve been planning to take a second mortgage on the house and invest in a top of the line K2 - D3 supplement.

I eat really really well already so now I’m wondering....has anyone else heard that K2 is notoriously difficult to get from food?

Thx! PMR makes us all lifelong learners!

• Posted

I hate Edam and Gouda and my father is Dutch! On the other hand I love a Swiss cheese.
  • Posted

The reason K2 is now somewhat lacking in the standard Western diet is because of the way our animals are raised.  A grass fed animal, free range poultry, convert K1 into K2 and by consuming products from these animals we get Vitamin K2.  But a grain fed animal cannot effectively convert K1, and therefore our supply from our food is correspondingly diminished.  Hence the recommendation that unless your food source is more traditional it's wise to take a supplement.  I believe most K2 supplements are made from natto.  Probably wise to check that the particular product is rated organic as most soy is now GM and we don't want to consume that either.  There is some thought that we can convert K1 ourselves, and also that there is some available in fermented foods (like natto for example) but we aren't very efficient at it and if we need extra K2 because of our health condition we can't rely on our own gut.

• Posted

Bear in mind that the areas in which the mentioned cheeses are produced cannot have grassfed during the winter months. The dairy cattle will be out during the milder season and this is their main milk producing time when the cheeses will be started.
    • Posted

This is very helpful and makes complete sense....I’ll go forward with my supplement....

Thanks!

• Posted

Isn't hay just dried grass?

I think animals should be fed what they'd eat in their natural state.  We have diseases like mad cow disease because cattle were turned into cannibals.  I do not eat meat.

• Posted

I did note that the eggs I got from my farmers market declined in flavour this past winter, but are back to being delicious again.  Obviously their winter diet was not as good as what they can get in the summer. 
    • Posted

Grass loses nutrients in the drying process - dairy cattle cannot be over-wintered on hay alone, various grain products are required.
    • Posted

"dairy cattle cannot be over-wintered on hay alone"

They can - and are here where I live in northern Italy. We have a range of locally produced dairy products, including milk, which are guaranteed to be made from milk produced from exclusively grass/hay fed cows on small mountian farms. You do notice a change in taste in July once they are being fed with hay from the alm meadows which are mainly flowers and herbs at that time. A very large amount of our local cheese is only made in the summer - while the animals are up on the alms and grazing.

• Posted

Interesting Eileen - easier on a small farm probably and not acid soil, on the farms round here (lower level the grass feeds the herd and not so much kept for hay - at high levels the grass is to poor for dairy cattle)

Summer definitely the best time for cheese making

• Posted

Ok.  I suppose this was true historically as well?
    • Posted

Not that it means anything to me personally.  I just take my K2 supplement and don'\t rely on food for this vitamin anyway.

• Posted

Everyone’s input in this discussion has been very educational for me.  It also has helped me make a decision.  Going to stop taking alendronate (scary side effects), and just ordered some vitamin K2 from Amazon.  No doctor to object, since I’m between physicians at the moment.
  • Posted

Very helpful. Thank you. I was going to look up which foods have the Vitamin k2
  • Posted

Have just discovered your discussion on K2.   My GP put me onto Vitamin K2 to help with bruising I am having, being on Pred. medication and cartia for blood thinning.

I can buy a packet of K2 Vitamin in chemist for a few dollars, it has certainly helped with the bruising  I have had on my arms etc.

Just thought I would let you know this bit of information.

• Posted

"My GP put me onto Vitamin K2 to help with bruising" 

That is strange - since one of the articles I read about K2 said that NO forms of vit K should be taken by people on anticoagulants (medication for blood thinning). There isn't much point taking medication to prevent your blood coagulating and then feeding yourself extra vit K! 

• Posted

I spoke with our Chemist as well, and he said it is okay to take the K2, I can only go on my experience, and it has certainly helped me with my bruising which was so bad, I only had to touch myself or give a very small bump and the bruising would travel into huge dark blobs, this does not happen now since being on vit K2.

Thanks Eileen,  I can only go on my experience.

• Posted

Thought I had better explain to you that I am taking a low dose aspirin 100mg named Cartia, bought over the counter at Chemist. Many stroke patients and heart patients are taking this medication.

Maybe this medication  is not so severe as other anticoagulants.

T

• Posted

Speaking from my experience only, I read about Vit  K2 to help with bone loss and understood K2 helped get the calcium into the bones. Some research indicated without this the calcium got a bit lost. I've explained it in simple terms but that's my understanding. Like us all on this forum I am worried about Pred and bone loss, so I take my Calcium plus D3 and give three squirts of Vit K2 Yes, I've found in my health food shop an oral spray two month supply for £12. It claims " A vital component in supporting normal bone health and blood clotting" Finger's crossed it helps my bones! 

While I'm writing I too would like to thank all who go to the trouble to answer our many questions. It's a wonderful place to help make sense of a very difficult situation.  EIleen especially for always taking the time to write when she must have answered some of the many questions a few times over, but always finds the time to write yet again. Well done to all and a million thanks! Freda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.