Vitamin K2 etc.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Been doing a bit of wombling round nutrition wesites etc.

A few quotes

"Vitamin K2 is mainly found in meat, egg yolk, liver, butter, hard cheese, soft cheese and natto"

(Not sure about trying Natto though - apparently somewhat smelly fermented soy beans)

"Cheese contains the powerful nutritional triad of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K2, which together channel calcium into your bones and teeth while keeping it out of your arteries; this, combined with its omega-3 fats, make cheese a very heart-healthy food"

"Excellent cheese picks due to their high K2 levels are Edam, Gouda, and brie, but cheddar, Colby, hard goat cheese, Swiss and Gruyere are good choices as well"

Fortunately thusband (the one with PMR, GCA) is fond of cheese.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds just what I need. I can take or leave cheese - perhaps I'd better start taking it!!  Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Why not natto? It does take some getting used to, but it is by far the best source of vitamin K2.  I "kill" the taste of natto with strong mustard and soy souse. Local Japanese stores would certainly have it. It is worth a try... Comes in ~30gr packages and 1/2 of that package is good for daily dose of K2.

The thing is you always get much more from natural source then from pills.

• Posted

Nick we're surrounded by farm shops, farmgate sales and butchers who can say which animal from which farmer a cut of meat came from but no Japanese stores for several miles from which to buy Natto here in rural North Wales.

If I could pop down the street for some I would give it a try.

• Posted

OK, here’s a question for our wise collection of PMR sufferers.  I’m embarking on an attempt to get away from the eventual side effects of alendronate.  I am going to start taking calcium citronate and vitamin K2, based on what I have learned from this forum.  I have calcium citronate on hand, and Amazon assures me that the K2 will arrive today.

So, after that long preamble, my question is...what dose of each should I take?

I am currently taking 11.0mg of prednisone daily.

• Posted

The only "official" recommendation I'm aware of is I think Australia suggests 180 mcg daily.  My capsules are 100 mcg so I take two at separate times of day.  I don't think it's a vitamin you are likely to overdose on.

Calcium should only be taken in doses of about 400 or 500 mg at a time, not larger, and can be smaller.  Eat calcium rich foods as well, especially vegetable sources or dairy  other than liquid milk (yoghurt, kefir and some cheeses are better).  And I suppose you are also taking Vitamin D3?  I think the standard dose for D3 is 1000 IU or 25 mcg per day but many people take more especially if health is not the best.  So double that could be fine.  

• Posted

Referring to Vitamin K2 first, of course.  redface
    • Posted

Thank you, Amhara.  My package of K2 vitamins arrived in my mail just a couple of hours ago.  Each pill is 100micrograms.  I think I’ll start with one per day just to be cautious.  Yes, I am taking calcium  and vitamin D3 as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.