vitamins for menopause

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi can anyone help.Im taking quite a few tablets at the momment to help with the menopause,and worrying if im taking too many.Im taking menopace,magneseum black cohosh,and seasalt kelp to stop my hair from falling out.Im also on amytriplin at night and blood pressure tablets.it seems soooo much,my friend said i should be careful,but its hard when you need them to make you feel better.Is anyone else taking this many?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi trudy

i know how you feel, I have to take separate vitamins, because multi have iron in them, can't take menopace because it has soya in it which I believe does not get on well with thyroxine, have you had your vitamin levels checked, you may not even need a lot of them,  I am sick of taking tablets, ask your GP to check your vitamin levels, and good luck they normally say no, well mine did. 

If they make you feel better then carry on taking them. 😀

• Posted

Hi Trudy ,don't want to sound negative but think I am inclined to agree with your friend it is possible to take too many vitamins ,might be worth consulting a pharmacist for advice ! Good Luck x
  • Posted

Be careful with black cohosh 

it can cause liver damage 

jay x

• Posted

I take several vits but not cohosh 

i also take Kelp for hair loss and thinning its very good .

jay x

• Posted

Hi Trudy

Know how you feel.  I take vitamins for menopause but also arthritis as well so I end up with a handful every morning.  Each time I hear someone say a particular thing works for them I try that too.  It's getting ridiculous but I am too scared to stop any of them.  Sometimes I reflect on how much I used to take my good health for granted.

• Posted

Hi there,

I bought Menopace and thought i would try that, but on one particular anxious day i reverted back to Magneseum which seems to work for me, so am just taking that with Agnus Castus. As a result of feeling anxious most days lately, have changed diet Lots of pulses, vegetables, beetroot juice, bananas as potassium seratonin good mood enhancers seems to be working.  I would check with Doctor taking all the pills together just as a precaution.  If im feeling particularly crap i go for long walk, exercise seems to help get rid of the tension.  Saying that if this rollercoster carries on i think i might be walking the length of Briton to ease the tension!!!!

• Posted

Omg I'm shocked as never thought of taking anything Am I lacking anything?
  • Posted

Hi trudy

I know, it's s bit of a minefield and so personal...could it be placebo effect ?

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to vits and supplements.

For years have taken high Vit B's for anxiety, high Omega 3, starflower oil, occasionally Kalms at certain times.

I'm 57, but still have periods so am peri?

Must be!

Recently, I've rejigged my vits!

I now take starflower and omega at breakfast. Then after dinner a Menopace Night (insomnia) and 200mg Magnesium citrate ... Still waiting to see if Menopace works for me but is at least a good multivitamin.

Suffering from insomnia for years, it's my main issue but I try not to get too stressed at night wondering if I'm going to get off and then stay asleep for longer than 4 hours!

Don't want to take Benylin to get me off as want to give new vits a chance! Nightmare!

Feel tired most mornings as really need to settle down 10.30pm but when sharing a life and a bed, it sometimes gets past 11 before settle down, tricky.

I, too, read and read reviews but that can become confusing as we're all so different.

Good luck, maybe a visit to G P for a blood test would be best. I'm thinking same! J

• Posted

Hi sorry to be a bit nieve but what is  placebo effect ?lol
    • Posted

Placebo effect is when a fake medication or a sugar pill can sometimes improve a patient's condition simply because the person has the expectation that it will be helpful.

So, mind over matter maybe! J

• Posted

oh i see,i have heard of this,i think listing them all has hit a nerve, i think im going to stop taking so many. maybe speak to pharmist to see whats safe.probably burning my guts out if anything.
  • Posted

I am on a lot of medication myself i take zoloft for depression 25mg, ativan 3mg 3 times a day, Levothyroxine 88mcg, a blood pressure pill, one metformin 500mg once a day, vitd3 and a multivitamin, so I understand how it feels to be on a lot of medication. 

You need to be careful with your meds because menopace could cause side effects the magneseum could cause stomach problems, i don't know what black cohosh is or seasalt kelp and amytriplin is but you should talk to your doctor about these unesssary things you are taking and have him prescribe you something to help with you symptoms 

Good luck and don't worry about your hair falling out 

• Posted

Hi Susan,amytriplin is a very mild antidepressent,im only on 10 mg it helps me sleep. Seasalt kelp helps make tour hair grow because i lost so much and still doing so,black cohosh is to stop hot flushes.I no i have a right concockshion of meds,im deffenately rattling lol
    • Posted

Thanks for letting me know what you were they were. What things are you taking that is not prescribed to you just be careful with the other stuff you are taking that is not prescribed by a doctor
  • Posted

Hi who prescribes or advises taking all these vitamins it's a worry for me to bombarded my system with all these things mentioned. I am looking into taking a calcium tab I must admit x
    • Posted

amytriplin is from DR and blood pressure pill,but the rest i buy myself.when i list them down i'm thinking omg this is a lot,think i start cutting down on some.Might go speak to pharmisist cant neve get drs appointment.
    • Posted

I take prescribed tabs for blood pressure and depression but I'd be very careful dosing up yourself with all the stuff your taking Hun. I drink water infused with cucumber past week NO flushes perhaps give it ago only cost us 49p to see if it helps you Hun xxx
    • Posted

aww thanks hun will do,i hate taking all these meds anyways. Got the cucumber in my jug water had three glasses already biggrin
    • Posted

Let me know how you go Hun xx Hope it helps I'm post menopausal but still suffer dreadful hot flushes which make me vomit touch wood ain't happened since I've been drinking cucumber water ? I take a small dose of paroxetine which I think is a wonder drug for anxiety and depression and 2 tabs for blood pressure nothing else at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.