Waiting on my PIP claim decision, how long roughly have others waited? I'm in South Wales area

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone

I called dwp around end of April sometime to get a claim form for pip, I had the form within a week and had I think was a month to fill it in and send it back, due to needing help to film the form in I asked for an extension which they give me and extra 2 weeks ( which was great )

I had help from citizens advice and sent the form off on 22nd of may, had a letter and a txt to confirm I had a f2f assessment with capita on the 28th of June at home as I ticked on the form at home assessment. Which helped me a lot. The woman that came out was lovely but reading from others on here that's just how they are and tell aload of lies on reports, she told me I would hear within 2 weeks from my day of f2f assessment. I haven't heard anything at all, I've called them a few times and finally my report had been sent to dwp from capita on the 5th of June 17 but still no decision made as yet, anyone know how long it can take?

My anxiety is through the roof sad

I suffer with severe anxiety and depression and OCD and IBS, I often can't go anywhere due to my anxiety and the tablets I take for it just makes me constantly drowsy and tired as I also take tablets to help me sleep at night due to nightmares I get from when I found my mams ex partner hanging, so I struggle to go places on my own, unless I'm with someone I know well I won't go out and then I don't always go as I'm always feeling to drowsy, anxious ect and get panic attacks. Just want it all to be over with. I've worked most of my life and lost my job recently due to my condiction as I was struggling really bad to cope with it, I just don't know what to do or where to turn from hear until I can get better

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

5th of July sorry not June
  • Posted

Hi Claire,

I can imagine how anxious and stressed out you feel, but to be honest some people have waited 6 weeks or more for a decision.  It depends on the area you live and how much of a backlog they have.  I was told at my assessment that I would hear something within 4 - 6 weeks. 

Have you rang the DWP for a copy of the assessment report, I rang for mine just a few days after the F2F.  I hope the decision you receive is what you want, but if it isn't you will need the report to apply for an Mandatory Reconsideration.  I hope it all turns out well for you, please keep us posted. 

• Posted

Hi Sukes

I've been so anxious Its been waking me a lot worse, but I got a copy of my report last Thursday and I went from that, which was great news as the assessor give me a great report and awarded me 11 points for daily living and only 4 points for mobility, I am happy I had a good outcome but being just 1 point away from enhanced rate is there anything I can do about that?

There is some things on my report that she didn't put down so hence why less points.

I don't know what to do about it wether to just leave it and just take what I've been given or go for the enhanced rate for the extra point? Any advice would be great smile

Also I had the back log of money going into my bank account before I even received the letter from dwp which was great. I had the letter yesterday then 24th of July with the outcome which was everything I expected from the report, standard rate and no mobility

• Posted

Hi,

Great news on that decision. Yes you can challenge that decision by asking for a Mandatory reconsideration (MR) First you'll need to ring them to ask for that, then put it in wriing. You'll need to concentrate on those descriptors that apply to you and point out what you think you should have scored, adding more evidence if possible. However, you risk losing everything you already have because by doing this. Mostly though MR decisions remain the same but it can also increase too. Most people have to take it to Tribunal where 65% of outcomes are possitive for those that appear at the Tribunal, aper based decision outcomes are much less likely. It's your choice what you do and only you can decide. If you do decide to challenge it then you have just 1 month from the date of the decision. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Sukes is right, it depends on the backlog. Infact it can be anywhere from 2-8 weeeks and more. As sukes said you can ring for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea on what the decision will be. Mostly the decision maker goes with what's been said on that report. It's also good to do this if the decision doesn't go in your favour and decide to start the Appeal route, which would be Mandatory Reconsideration first (MR). Hopefully you did send in plenty of evidence to support your claim as this helps greatly!

As for the assessment provider, some say they were really nice than stabbed them in the back when writing the report, telling lies all over the place. I've had 3 assessments over the last few years 2 for PIP and 1 for ESA and in all honesty all mine have been really nice. Told the truth in the report too, so those geniune nice people are out there. Try to relax, i know it's hard but there really isn't anything you can do until a decision has been made. To be fair your whole PIP application process has been rather fast. Some are wait months and months just for a face to face assessment.

• Posted

Hi Denise

In all fairness it hasn't been as long as some have been waiting it's been since 14th of April so 3 months, I know people on here have waited a lot longer so I am lucky I didn't have to wait that long.

I had a copy of my report last week which I went from that and the assessor awarded me 11 points for daily living and 4 points for mobility, so I'm literally 1 point away from enchanted rate, can I appeal that?

I don't know if it's worth trying to get the extra point or just sticking with what I have been given. I have read how the assessors can be and lie and stab them in the back hence why I've been worrying so much, but I've been lucky and had a great report and she was genuinely lovely. I got my f2f assessment for ESA on the 2nd of August which I'm so nervous about as I have to go to them for this one, with my PIP assessment she came to my home. Worried about the outcome with that now.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I replied to you in a post above about your PIP decision.

With your ESA is this the first time you've had an assessment? or are you in a group already and this is a review? Whichever it is remember it's totally different to PIP and just because you have the PIP award it doesn't mean you'll be found with a limited capability for work at that ESA assessment. You'll be assessed to be able to do any type of work, including sitting down (office jobs) ]. The assessment is fairly similar to PIP one though but obviously based on your ability to work. Good luck andf please let us know the outcome. x

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Yea it's my first ever assessment for ESA

I'm in the assessment phase at the moment and have been for the last 3 months or so.

I was working at an office job in my last job and lost that job due to my illness of anxiety and depression, as I struggled a lot with the medication I'm on as I take sleeping tablets every night and others to help with my panic disorder.

I was meant to have it last week but I called them up to ask could I have a home visit instead as I struggle to go out and had no one to go with me or take me so I couldn't make it, so she cancelled that appointment and said she will send a letter to re arrange another for home, still not heard yet though.

I'm worried if I ask for a pip mandatory reconsideration that it will stop my pip claim all together, can they stop it while doing the mandatory reconsideration?

And could they take it off me all together after already awarding me 11 for daily living and 4 for motabilty?

They have given it to me until 2020 to 3 years so I don't want to lose it completely but I get a lot of help off my mum and that extra can go a long way for me.

Thanks xx

Thanks

• Posted

Hi,

I'm surprised they have agreed to a home visit without a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you need this. I'm hoping the next appointment the send you is actually for a home assessment. As now you've canceled one you can't cancel another.

You PIP questions, yes your payments will continue whilst they make a decision on the MR if you ask for that. Yes your award could change and you do risk losing everything you have because they look at the whole award again. Please bear in mind that most MR decisions remain the same so if you do go down this route then you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Figures show that those who turn up for their Tribunal are more likely to have a decision in their favour than those who don't. 65% of those who turn up win, which is quite high, it's much much lower for those that ask for a paper based decision. It's a very long process Claire and could take months. Only you can decide what you want to do. When i was first awarded PIP i was 2 points off Enhanced mobility. After given some lengthy thought i decided against going for the MR because i didn't want to risk losing what i already had. Another thing if your award is until 2020 this means that they'll contact you 1 year before the award is due to end for your review (they do this with everyone) Good luck.xx

• Posted

One thing i forgot to mention, sorry i hadn't long woken up when i replied and couldn't think straight lol

With your ESA is it Contribution Based ESA or Income Related ESA? Please make sure you know exactly which of these you're claiming because the answers are very different.

Another thing with the mobility component of PIP they slightly changed the criteria for this a few months ago making it extrememly difficult for those with mental health conditions to get anymore more points than 4. Unless you can prove it's "For reasons other than psychological distress" why you can't do those descriptors in "following and planning journey's" you will not score anymore than 4 points.

• Posted

Hi Denise,

They haven't yet agreed to a home visit for me I need to get medical evidence from my GP like you said to have a home visit which I'm in the process of doing at the moment,  so I ain't sure if I will or not yet, I just struggle so much to go places I know on my own alone places I don't know on my own hence why I had a home visit for my pip assessment, so hoping they will allow me with the esa assessment to.

I didn't think they could take it all off you if they have already awarded you, seems pretty daft if they could do that and unfair and that's my worry, as it's better to have what I'm having than nothing at all but to be just 1 point away from enhanced makes me want to do the MR.

I don't really want to take it to a tribunal as it's been stressful enough waiting 3 months alone even longer for another outcome that could take it back off me. Argh.

I was aware of them assessing you a year before as I've read it on others on here smile

So I'll be looked at in 2019.

Lol no worries Hun

My ESA is contribution based.

I don't know the difference to be honest it's all confusing to me on this ESA lol

I have explained to the woman at the assessment I can't and won't go on public transport or plan and follow journeys I know alone ones I don't know but was only awarded 4 points so I've given up on that already xx

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I hope for you they agree to the home assessment. If for any reason they don't then please make sure you take someone with you! Also with the ESA assessment they assess you on the work you CAN do and not the work you CAN'T do. This is very important thing to remember because most people think it's the other way round, when it's not.

You PIP award is a difficult decision. Being just 1 point off the Enhanced award almost makes me feel like they've said "well i'm not going to give this person that extra point because then they'll have Enhanced" kind of thing. Have you take a look at the PIP descritors to see where you can gain that extra point? If you haven't then i'll recommend you do this ASAP! Yes they can indeed lower your award at either stage (MR or Tribunal) it's rare for them to do this at Tribunal stage but it can happen! Here's some figures for you that may help you decide what you want to do. 80% of people who ask for the MR their decision remains the same. 65% of people who take it to Tribunal and appear in person have the decision go in their favour. Those figures are very high for both. The chances of your award staying the same at MR stage are extremely high as you can see. So the tribunal route it would most likely be. At Tribunal they're very fair, they let you speak and most importantly they'll listen to you. yes it's a long wait obviously depending on where you are in the country. Either way, whatever you decide to do those PIP descriptors first, i can't post links i'm sorry. You only have 1 month Claire to get this MR in if that's what you want to do. Ring them first and tell them you want the MR THEN put it in writing pointing out where you think you should have got that extra point. Be straight to the point because they won't be interested in any lies that have been told. You aim is to get them to read this letter. If you do decide to take it all the way and you need more advice just SHOUT and i'm here to advice anytime (unless i'm sleeping) cheesygrin lol Hope this helps! xx

• Posted

Hi guys 

I currently get PIP lower rate and my gp advised me on applying again for higher rate as I am struggling with work as I am loosing a lot of money due to being off with sickness I have slipped discs in my back and could go weeks in agony. I had my assessment on 14th July and the dwp received my report back on 18th July I have called today and they said they haven't yet made a decision?! I suffer with anixity which this just isn't helping with 😔 First time round I didn't wait this long on a decision?! Was about this time last year. I am currently not sleeping stressing to why they have had the report 4 weeks and not made a decision yet, but I was told a decision would be made between 2-4 weeks 😕 Any advise would be great thank you x

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're wating so long unfortunately there's nothing you can really do about this. I know it's stressful, everyone gets stressed especially when waiting for a decision like this. The waiting times for decision can be anything between 2-8 weeks and totally depends on where you are in the country and how much backlog there is in your area. Hopefully you won't be waiting much longer. Report changes before a review takes place is always very risky. Hopefully a decision will go in your favour. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I am not due a review until 2020. I have heard people say that the longer they keep you waiting then it's going to be knocked back as the ones they accept get done quickly as they don't want to back pay? 

Thanks s

• Posted

hi samantha i wouldnt count your chickens dear .i was awarded pip till 2019 .i got pulled in for a medical assesment now i get nothing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.