Waiting on my PIP claim decision, how long roughly have others waited? I'm in South Wales area

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone

I called dwp around end of April sometime to get a claim form for pip, I had the form within a week and had I think was a month to fill it in and send it back, due to needing help to film the form in I asked for an extension which they give me and extra 2 weeks ( which was great )

I had help from citizens advice and sent the form off on 22nd of may, had a letter and a txt to confirm I had a f2f assessment with capita on the 28th of June at home as I ticked on the form at home assessment. Which helped me a lot. The woman that came out was lovely but reading from others on here that's just how they are and tell aload of lies on reports, she told me I would hear within 2 weeks from my day of f2f assessment. I haven't heard anything at all, I've called them a few times and finally my report had been sent to dwp from capita on the 5th of June 17 but still no decision made as yet, anyone know how long it can take?

My anxiety is through the roof sad

I suffer with severe anxiety and depression and OCD and IBS, I often can't go anywhere due to my anxiety and the tablets I take for it just makes me constantly drowsy and tired as I also take tablets to help me sleep at night due to nightmares I get from when I found my mams ex partner hanging, so I struggle to go places on my own, unless I'm with someone I know well I won't go out and then I don't always go as I'm always feeling to drowsy, anxious ect and get panic attacks. Just want it all to be over with. I've worked most of my life and lost my job recently due to my condiction as I was struggling really bad to cope with it, I just don't know what to do or where to turn from hear until I can get better

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire, 

I feel your pain. I initially made the first phone call to apply for PIP on the 29th of March 2017. I had my assessment on the 11th of July 2017 & up until today, I hadn't had a decision, so decided to call DWP.

i was told a decision letter is on its way to me but the lady I spoke to asked me if I wanted to know the decision over the phone, to which I replied yes.

she told me I have not been successful in my claim. She then advised me to wait for the decision letter & then appeal the decision.

i will now have to wait for the dreaded letter.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not successful in your claim.  You can ring them again and ask for a copy of the assessment report, that will give tell you how the assessor scored you.  You can then start to assemble more evidence etc towards a Mandatory Review.  You only have 28 days to get this review in. Hopefully Denise or someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to advise you more fully. 

• Posted

Hi Sukes, 

Thank you for your reply. I am really shocked to be honest. I have a life long condition which is not going to get any better. I wonder why it took them 5 weeks to come to that decision.

Do I have to wait until I receive the decision in writing before a ask for a Mandatory review?

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I'm sorry to hear this. Yes you have to wait until you have the decision in writing to be able to ask for the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) As sukes said if you haven't already rang and asked for a copy of the assessment report please do this ASAP. Having waited 5 weeks for them to refuse you doesn't really mean there's a reason for this as there's most likely a backlog in your area. Decision times really do vary from area to area and can be anything from 2-8 weeks.

Once you have the decision in writing and the report from the assesment put it in writing that you want the MR. You have to look through that report and point out where you think you should have scored those points. Have a look online for those PIP descriptors. PIP is awarded based how your condition affects you daily and not on a diagnosis. Did you send any evidence to support your claim? Sending more evidence with this MR would be a good idea and if you can get more then even better. Please bear in mind that most MR decisions remain the same with a figure of 80% of those decisions remaining the same. Expect fully to have to take it to Tribunal where 65% of those that appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. Don't give up, it's a long proccess but if you think you're entitled to it then fight it all the way. Hope this helps. Oh and also if you think you can't do this yourself then CAB are very good at helping. I'd advice ringing them ASAP to make an appointment.

• Posted

I would think that you can request an MR now seeing as they have told you the decision over the phone, after all their letter may go astray or take days to get to you and you only have 28 days.  Ring and ask for one then put it in writing.

From what I hear, a lot of people get the same result again, but then you can appeal it and I believe the success rate of appeals is quite high, especially if you go personally to the appeal. 

• Posted

I'm afraid you can't ask for the MR until the decision arrives in writing. Once the letter arrives then ring to state you want the MR and then put it in writing. Always put it in writing and never trust DWP with anything! xx

• Posted

Ooops sorry Denise, I have a lot more to learn from you.  Maybe in about 10 years I might get it, but I doubt it   lol xx
    • Posted

Sukes, thank you very much for your reply.
    • Posted

Hi Denise,

Thank you for your reply. I did wonder whether I would have to wait for the decision to arrive. I will definitely put it is writing to DWP. Like you said, don't trust them with anything.

• Posted

lol haha no worries sukes honestly! These benefits system is very confusing, even for me at times lol I've just started a PIP claim for my 16 year old daughter who has multiple issues in life, from a learning disability, to social anxiety disorder of childhood to autism. I've been fighting for answers to all of her issues for 13 years eek FINALLY i'm getting somewhere. I'm armed with some fantastic evidence that proves in black and white all those descriptors that apply to her. On paper she should get Enhanced for both. Even i need help with those dreaded PIP2 forms! lol So watch this space as i wipe the floor with DWP with my daughters PIP claim! xx

• Posted

Hi Denise, 

i recieved   a copy of my PIP assessment report today. It is full of lies. I didn't score 1 point, zeros on everything. The assessor has completely ignored every answer to her questions & it's as if she has made the whole thing up, without me being there. I feel it was a complete waste of time attending the assessment as the assessor, didn't listen to anything I told her & just put on the report the complete opposite of everything I said.

I called today & told them I want an MR & the man I spoke to asked me to send any medical information I have to them. Which I will obviously send them.

Do you know the success rate of appeals?

• Posted

You will need to write a letter and point out all those lies in the report and point out where you think you should have scored those points. 80% of MR decisions remain the same, so the likelyhood of you having to take it to Tribunal is very high. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. Of course you have to ask for the MR first before the Tribunal will accept your appeal. It's a very long process! Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise,

it seems from what you say, that you've been fighting the benefits system for ever, no wonder you are very knowledgeable about it all.   It's probably fighting for your daughter that keeps you going.  You go girl and wipe the floor with the DWP  lol  xx

• Posted

Hi sukes,

Well not exactly the DWP the NHS, so DR's, consutlants, Mental health and even schools. Now i have answers and the proof (evidence) it's time to fight the DWP. Currently waiting for those PIP2 forms, it's been 8 days since i started her claim off. Bring it on i say! smile

• Posted

Hi I’m coming late to this discussion (a lot) I just wanted to say that my advisor from the CAB told me that if you’re unsuccessful initially with a PIP claim then ALWAYS challenge the decision. This man Stuart has been dealing with DWP claims for decades and he told me that a full 50% of appeals over PIP decisions are successful. This means there is a great chance you will overturn the original decision in your favour, so with nothing to lose just do it! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.