Waiting on my PIP claim decision, how long roughly have others waited? I'm in South Wales area

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone

I called dwp around end of April sometime to get a claim form for pip, I had the form within a week and had I think was a month to fill it in and send it back, due to needing help to film the form in I asked for an extension which they give me and extra 2 weeks ( which was great )

I had help from citizens advice and sent the form off on 22nd of may, had a letter and a txt to confirm I had a f2f assessment with capita on the 28th of June at home as I ticked on the form at home assessment. Which helped me a lot. The woman that came out was lovely but reading from others on here that's just how they are and tell aload of lies on reports, she told me I would hear within 2 weeks from my day of f2f assessment. I haven't heard anything at all, I've called them a few times and finally my report had been sent to dwp from capita on the 5th of June 17 but still no decision made as yet, anyone know how long it can take?

My anxiety is through the roof sad

I suffer with severe anxiety and depression and OCD and IBS, I often can't go anywhere due to my anxiety and the tablets I take for it just makes me constantly drowsy and tired as I also take tablets to help me sleep at night due to nightmares I get from when I found my mams ex partner hanging, so I struggle to go places on my own, unless I'm with someone I know well I won't go out and then I don't always go as I'm always feeling to drowsy, anxious ect and get panic attacks. Just want it all to be over with. I've worked most of my life and lost my job recently due to my condiction as I was struggling really bad to cope with it, I just don't know what to do or where to turn from hear until I can get better

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. I live in north wales and i have been waiting 6 weeks on friday since my medical assesment and still have not heard anything at all.. i suffer VERY bad mental health and struggle day to day to handle my emotions and im very ill at the moment waiting on an answer. Should i call them and see what is holding it back as i was told it would take 4-6 weeks.. but i would need to get somebody to call for me as talking to strangers on the phone is hard ??

• Posted

Hi Kayleigh I live not far wirral, I had my assessment 7 weeks ago tomorrow and I rang yesterday they still not made a decision and they said there is no time scale I just have to wait for them. I feel although it's gonna be rejected taking so long. Hope yours is quicker than mine xx

• Posted

Hi, There's isn't any time scales it totally depends on the backlog in your area. You can ring and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report (if it's a PIP assessment) they'll send you a copy. This will give you some idea on what the decision will be because mostly they go with what's stated on the report.

• Posted

Hi! I’ve never used a forum before but I was looking for support & to know what to expect after my PIP f-2-f on 22nd Dec. I live with BPD co morbid depression & eating disorders. I’m experiencing unsettling mental disturbances leaving me unable to function without my mums care,  Due to stress not just from the assessment, but the entire process making me Dissociate a lot and my loved ones struggle with my bizarre behaviour. I hoped to discover how long I might have to wait until  a decision is made and the anxiety affecting me and my family might  be over.  Finding this place and this thread;   I feel huge sympathy and kinship with you Claire, I am hyper sensitive and the anxiety and pressures of  daily life Overwhelm me. I live at home where my nearly 70 year old Mum cares for me. I’m like you inthat I cannot go out alone; I get disoriented because I dissociate if  I’m scared and unfamiliar or busy places are so threatening. Borderline personality disorder leads to crippling anxiety like yours Claire and I’m truly sorry that you suffer the misery of it too.  So really  I wondered if anyone could tell me what I should expect? , how long it takes to get a decision and what happens if you are turned down. I was told once that if it’s mental illness and you have no physical disabilities (I don’t- all my problems are in my head) then mostly you won’t get it. Is this true? If anyone can help with their experiences I’d be so grateful. I’m in Sheffield South Yorkshire. I’ve not read all this thread yet but I’m hoping that you’ve sent an update Claire and that it’s of good news!! Abbey

• Posted

Hi,

It would have been much better if you had started your own thread. Posting on the end of someone elses thread makes it difficult to find the new post and it could very easliy be missed.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily and no 2 peope are the same. There's also no time scales to decisions either and it depends where in the country you are and the backlog in your area. Your decision will be sightly delayed because of the Xmas/New year closing days so bear that in mind.

You can ring DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the assesssment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because mostly they go with that report and award what it advices on there. In that report there will be boxes with either a tick or dot, this will be the points you've been scored (if any) during your assesssment. There's a PIP self test online that you can use to see what your score is. You need at least 8 points for an award of Standard and 12 points for Enhanced. There's 2 parts to PIP, Daily living and Mobility.

It's much harder for those with mental health to get a mobility award but it's not impossible. Lots of people with mental health get awarded the Daily living part. Lots of people have invisible conditions and mental health isn't the only invisible condition. What you need is evidence to prove those descriptors apply to you. Hopefully you sent in evidence to support your claim? My daughter has just been awarded Enhanced in both parts for mental health but i sent in masses of evidence to prove those descriptors apply to her.

If you're refused and your not awarded anything then you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for this. You'll need to write a letter stating what you disagree with in the report and point out where you think you should have scored those points. Send it to DWP along with your extra evidence, if you have more. Most MR decisions remain the same, with only a 20% success rate. If the MR decision remains the same then Tribunal is your next step. You'll have another 1 month from the date of the MR decision to put your request in. I can advice you more about that if needed.

In the meantime, ring DWP PIP today and ask them to send you a copy of the assesssment report, if they've recieved both copies back from the assessment providers then they'll send a copy out to you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi I too had my f2f assessment in dec on the 11 and I have still not had a descion  yet they have had my report from the 19th dec seems to be taking ages 
  • Posted

How long does it take for a discision on a pip assessment
    • Posted

Hi,

There's no timescales, sorry. It all depends on backlog in your area.. Ring andask DWP for a copy of the assesssment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as mostly they go withh that report. It will also be very handy if a decision doesn't go in your favour and you have to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

• Posted

Hya hope ur ok. I got my letter from Dla to pip letter dated 21st June on the 28/29th of June sayin I had till the 19th of July to claim pip. As you know it takes time to get your supporting evidence and then a letter off Your gp Etc which can take time in itself as they don’t rush anything so I rang to claim pip on the 3rd of July as I know if you don’t stick to there time scale then you loose ur Dla payment then it’s a case of starting it all again which no gp or support workers are going to do more letters than theyv already done for me I’m just wondering would you have left it till the final week like the 17th July before you rang them to claim pip any help or advice is greatly appreciated Thankyou 
    • Posted

Hi,

It's always better to start your own thread when asking questions because asking them on other people posts is always confusing and your question could have easily been missed.

As you''ve already rang PIP to start your claim off then it's now too late to wait until 17th July. Once you do finally receive those forms you can ask for a 14 day extension of time to return them and they'll happily give this to you and it won't affect your DLA claim, providing you do return them by that extended date.

They very rarely contact anyone for evidence and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent with the form. If it's sent after you send the form then there's no guarantee that the evidence will be used to support your claim.

Take a look at the PIP descriptors by using google search (as links can't be posted here) to see where you can score those points for an award. PIP is totally different to PIP. You may want to get some help with filling the forms in from your local CAB or the likes.

Expect a face 2 face assessment as most people have them. Good luck.

• Posted

So I should have waited till the 17th of July before ringingly them up to claim pip but I didn’t want to risk loosing my appointments for my supporting evidence etc as GPs and other health professionals don’t just drop everything soon as u need a letter or something so with me having my appointments this week I wanted to make sure that I had everything that i needed for this pip2 form as I know that some people are only having a few days to return them so if I’d of left it to drag out then it’s risking not getting letters back in time etc 
    • Posted

The letter stated that you need to claim "by 19th July" it didn't state your form needs to be returned by that date. As long as you start your claim by the 19th it doesn't matter when you start it. Once it's started they'll send your PIP2 form and you'll have 1 month in which to return it. To be honest i'm not sure why you're asking the question now because you've start your claim yesterday so your question is irrelevant.

• Posted

Yep by ringing them up to early Iv probably lost out on money aswell

• Posted

That would totally depend on whether or not your PIP claim is successful. Your DLA will end 4 weeks after a decision is made on PIP. If PIP is successful then your PIP will start 4 weeks after that.

• Posted

Now I’m confused Denise as if it takes longer than 4 weeks to complete the pip application and assessment etc surly they don’t carry on paying your Dla payments 
    • Posted

So Denise does that mean that il still get my Dla payments until they reach a decision on my pip claim from all the things Iv read it can take up to 8weeks in some cases CAB told me to ring as soon as possible to start the process rather than drag it out to the last week of the deadline incase there’s a backlog in post etc but I don’t think they understood what I was asking them about to be honest 
    • Posted

Providing your PIP forms are received within the time yes your DLA will continue. A PIP decision can takes months sometimes, longer than 8 weeks. There's no timescales in fact, it all depends on backlog in your area. You will have an assessment first, then a decision some weeks after that. It can take months for an assessment date so don't expect a decision within those 8 weeks.

• Posted

If worst case and it takes months then do they still pay your Dla payment till the descision is reached for pip if yes that’s madness it should say that on the letter then people wouldn’t be left worrying or without money due to a change in the governments mess of a system that looks like it’s designed to take away people’s lives with a press of a button 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.