Waiting time for NHS abdominal hysterectomy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wanting to get my head round waiting times right now. I had my pre-op almost a week ago now - I know I am on 'the list' but after repeated calls to my consultants secretary - or at least her answerphone -( I did get a human once who said 'she would get her to ring back' ) I am no further forward! I read some pretty depressing stats tonight - which make me fear my pre-op will run out before I get anywhere near an operating theatre! How long have you people across the UK had to wait to be fixed? I am seriously going back to my docs if it's a long wait - my back is getting worse - and I am losing a lot of sleep. Sometimes I am so tired at work I almost fall asleep! HELP!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

NOOOOOOOOOOO!! Had mine yest let's hope someone out there knows the answer ??

• Posted

I found the stats for my hospital quoting that in January 2017 that some inpatients had to wait 32 weeks for their treatment to be completed. Might explain why noone is returning my calls ....
    • Posted

I am giving them until lunchtime on Monday - then I will be calling PALS!!!

• Posted

Hope they didn't bruise you doing those blood tests! I looked like I had a right thumping on my arm!! I really hope you get your date soon!

• Posted

It depends on where you live i had mine done in a private hospital on the NHS in Hereford where they do book and choose i had a pretty op about two weeks before
    • Posted

Nothing that near me unfortunately! I prefer being within 50 miles of home = No choice! (only 2 hospitals run by the same trust!) I wonder if they think doing a pre-op will make you think - oh the operation will be soon - and then just put you on a back burner ?? 
    • Posted

I wouldn't have thought so normally you would get a pretty op letter and a letter telling you when the op is

• Posted

Nope - not in this NHS Trust - I know as I had an operation 2 years ago. They gave me a pre-op and I eventually had my operation 9 weeks after. My Aunt and my friends Mum both had pre-ops that ran out and they had to have them re-done!!!

• Posted

Oh Glennie I'm sorry you've been waiting so long.

Hi Glennie

I found out on 14th February I was having mine on 7th April.

She wanted to start me on some injections to shrink my fibroids so called her secretary to find out when the next appointment was. I was hoping for endometrial ablation (sp) but she said it wasn't possible because of the size of the fibroids and where they were situated, or something like that.

I think depending on where you live will determine how long you wait. I've been lucky (I think) I'm in the North East.

I don't understand why they would give you the pre-op before you have an appointment for the operation, what a waste of time if it runs out.

I hope you get an appointment soon.

Take care x

• Posted

You are lucky - I'm North west - just over from you! You get such good services over there! I haven't been waiting long (yet) - but fear I might be! I haven't been given anything to shrink my coconut sized fibroid - and that was the size it was in early December - so who knows how big it might be now. My back says it's bigger - as it is constanly sore now. I can't even get through to anyone to say this either. I think I might give my GP a call and see if they can give me any advice!

• Posted

I would find out what private hospitals you have near you then ask your GP for a referral to it via NHS. They can do that and the waiting time should be less. The NHS is in such a mess that they're paying private hospitals to carry out some ops.

Our waiting time in East Sussex is supposed to be 18weeks but they are way behind so in the end I decided to go private and fund it using our savings! I was having loads of bladder issues and didn't want it to get worse so I wasn't prepared to wait it out....

I think you really have to make a nuisance of yourself in order to find things out so keep calling.

It's ridiculous that they carry out pre-ops without knowing a date for the op itself, dangerous really as your health could easily change before the op if it's weeks apart. My pre-op at the private hospital was on Thursday and my op was on Tuesday the week after.

Good luck x

• Posted

I haven't really got the funds to do anything private. I could access some private healthcare through my work - but in the past couple of years they have moved their goalposts - and you have to spend a fair bit before anyone will even look at you. They also have written a clause where a hysterectomy will only be done if the problem you have is acute - not pre-existing! About as much use as a chocolate teapot! Their neareat hospital is heading on 120 miles from home too - so not an option in my eyes. If I did have the funds - I'd go tomorrow!

• Posted

Oh sorry Glennie, I thought you'd been waiting ages, either way though it sucks not knowing.

I've had two injections 14th Feb & 14th March. How much they will have shrunk by 7th April is anyone's guess. I have two fibroids, one of them is 8cm, the other a little smaller and I also suffer back pain but not sure if it's the fibroids causing it or not.

You really aren't been looked after very well. Gosh, even if you had some injections it might help, especially yours being that big.

Oh and I'm just having a laugh to myself after reading my first post to you saying sorry you'd waited so long and then saying Hi, lol.. I started writing it on here then finished writing it on google mail as this site doesn't underline ALL the mistakes I keep making.. sheesh.. lol

Please let us know how you get on x

• Posted

I have done similar things myself. It's good to have a bit of input from other people. Last night I felt so down trodden - and all the replies made me feel a bit less alone. My poor hubby is trying his best to support me - he even contacted the hospital too. I don't hold much hope for hearing anything today- but who knows!!!

• Posted

Woo hoo i have a date and i didn't need PALS. 21st April. Hope you get your date soon too.

• Posted

I've got go ahead that healthy enough just need my date! 😳😬

• Posted

Go you! You might beat me to the finising post yet!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.