Waiting time for NHS abdominal hysterectomy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wanting to get my head round waiting times right now. I had my pre-op almost a week ago now - I know I am on 'the list' but after repeated calls to my consultants secretary - or at least her answerphone -( I did get a human once who said 'she would get her to ring back' ) I am no further forward! I read some pretty depressing stats tonight - which make me fear my pre-op will run out before I get anywhere near an operating theatre! How long have you people across the UK had to wait to be fixed? I am seriously going back to my docs if it's a long wait - my back is getting worse - and I am losing a lot of sleep. Sometimes I am so tired at work I almost fall asleep! HELP!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes it does depend on where you live and the urgency. I had TAH done in June 2015, but originally it should have been in the april but was postponed. First time I waited a month second time 6 wks. Hope you hear pretty soon and not waiting long . I came under Knowsley Trust. (nr Liverpool).
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. It's awful when surgery gets cancelled. I don't know how I would handle getting a date then having it cancelled and done 6 weeks later - hell!!! I had an op a couple of years ago delayed by just a couple of days - and I was really upset! You get yourself into that head space and you just want it over!!! I guess I wanted my operation done so I could have a nice holiday later in the year. I cancelled my June holiday - and that upsets me too!

• Posted

Hiya if this helps AT all I have JUST had my dater for April 11th after having my previous op on Jan 9th!

I made 14 phone calls to my consultant and after 5 weeks had a reply in Feb to say as bed situation is so bad it may be month's. They first operate on cancer patients then emergencies then routine patients on a list basis.

I decided to e mail my own GP who sent my e mail directly to my consultant.within a week I got my date.

I must add I have been waiting since last May when I was 1st consulted.

Sammy

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sammy - I have got my date now = 21st April - I hope it's not cancelled! It's really frustrating when you just want fixed. There's no hard and fast rule to how long you wait in the UK - every area is different - and there's the type of hysterectomy and why you are having it.  I hope your operation goes well and have a fast recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.