Waiting to have right hip done. I can't bear the pain anymore

Posted , 10 users are following.

im 49 & have suffered with hip pain on & off for last 4/5 years. X Ray in 2013 showed mild arthritis. New x Ray in February 2015 showed severe advanced OA. I've had lots of scans, cts etc since February. I had a major trauma as a 7 yr old child that majorly affected the way I walk & my hips have compensated for this all my life to date. I have an extremely high pain threshold but finding in the last 2 months that no matter what I take isn't even taking the edge off it. Any advice as to the best meds to take would be so appreciated. Up til now I've been taking difene & solpadol & then doc recommended taking tradol & difene. Spoke to pharmacists today & she said take paracetamol too. I've had a really bad day pain wise & am now sorry I delayed my op for a 2nd opinion. I could be 4 weeks post op if I went for it at the time. But surgeon needs to take my other conditions into consideration before I will be happy. My body must be preparing in advance as the only way I can sleep is on my back. Normally I would be a side sleeper in the foetal position. Sorry for the rant but I'm just at the edge of my tether with pain right now. Off to take more pain meds hoping I might sleep a few hours. 

4 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The thing is, this doesn't happen all the time. If I sleep on my back or other side I am able to deal with the pain with tramadol and other pills, it's only when I roll on that side during the night. Last night I slept most of the night through and didn't turn on that side so my pain has been moderate and no pain at all when I got up. I have always been very active and I move at a very fast pace that has slowed down recently. This came out of nowhere. Doesn't a catscan show the arthritis cause that doctor didn't mention any arthritis. When I got an mri 2 years ago it was in the resport along with space in the spine but nothing serious. But this side of my body has never hurt and its quite baffling.
    • Posted

Jan I tried everything in desperation. Osteopath, Bowen treatment, etc., in the end it was a fluke. I am asthmatic and the practice nurse wanted to check for osteoporosis due to being on steroid treatments over the years. She sent me to a rheumatologist consultant to be checked and I told him about the pain. He tried a cortisone injection done under xray. This was good for about 6 weeks then wore off. He tried another which did not help at all. He then ordered a weighted MRI scan and after the result he referred me to orthopedic surgeon and believe me it all happened so fast from then on. I was given only 1 hours notice to get to hospital as a cancellation had occurred at the last minute. Fortunately I hadn't eaten as operated on within 30 mins of getting there. Just had a spinal aneastthetic and some sedation, which was fine
  • Posted

Hi Gossip

So sorry you are suffering I know exactly what you are going through.

I too am waiting for my right hip to be replaced. Mine has now collapsed and when it happened there were no meds in my whole house that could touch the pain not even oramorph. But the pain has now subsided and I am on 2 x co codamol 30 / 500mg every 6 hours and 3 mil of oramorph if I need it. It works well this way for me.

I hope you can sort out something that will help till you can have your hip done x

• Posted

Hi hailea just back from a lovely spa break. Which makes me more aware that I need this op done sooner than I thought. I could swim but walking through from steam room to steam room was agony. I had the most amazing back massage this afternoon though & she worked on my lower back & buttocks & ended up massaging my back with an aloe Vera & eucalyptus lotion. Pure bliss. Heat & comfort. I'm gonna call Dr secretary tomorrow to see if there's a possible cancellation. I don't want to wait another month if possible. 
    • Posted

Hi Gossip glad you had a good weekend. I am not looking forward to having my right hip done because of all the problems I have had since the left one was done. none of it conected to the op. But I don't think I could cope if anything else went wrong this time. Although I am the same as you my hip is killing me and some times it is so bad I just burst out in pain or I cry. that just is not like me at all.. I hope you get your cancelation. But this time of year when the summer holidays are here. I am not sure you would be concidred till september same as me.
  • Posted

Hi Gossip:

Some suggestions for you:

1)  Firstly use a hot water bottle, with hot water in it, on your hip and underneath as well if it is really painful.   Do it every night and during the day if you need to.

2)  Glucosamine originally worked for me to dull the pain.  It does not heal the joint.  I used 4 pills, 3 times per day.  

3)  Tumeric with black pepper helps with decreasing the inflammation.

4)  Finally, don't focus on the pain, just focus on what ever job you have to do and let the pain become secondary as though it is not yours.  I don't know if you understand this but it works for me.  

I also suggest you stop the drugs.  They may be more harmful than the cure.

I've had severe osteoarthritis since 2009.  I haven't used glucosamine for many years.  I don't use tumeric any more, and the bottle still is half.  I don't use the hot water bottle anymore.  I would use them if I needed to but the pain I feel I can control by not focusing on it.  I also use crutches to take some weight off the injured leg, but I walk normally with the crutches.

Hope these will help you if you try them.

Mikey    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.