Waking up sad in peri?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone else feel sad every morning upon waking?  I rarely get much sleep anymore, even though a small dose of melatonin helps.  As soon as I wake up in the morning, I have the worst thoughts about all sorts of things, family issues, bad things in the news, etc., and I feel doomed as though things will never get better and usually want to cry.  Once I get up to start the day, it passes but only very gradually.  Does anything help this?

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I often have that. The doom and gloom which in turn increases my anxiety. I feel like things will not get better. I've had suggestions to try magnesium for improved mood. I haven't tried the magnesium yet, but I'm sure the some of the other ladies will post how it has helped them. Hope you feel better soon. ~Jamie~
    • Posted

Thanks, Jamie... same for me, it does increase the anxiety.  I haven't heard about trying magnesium but would like to know more.  Hope you feel better soon, too!  Take care.
  • Posted

Yes, I can relate. I call it having dark thoughts. I don't know why but at times it just seems that being negative is so much easier than trying to be positive.
    • Posted

Exactly!  It feels like being positive takes too much effort sometimes.  So awful to start the day like that.
    • Posted

I know! But, some days I just don't have the energy the be possitive.
    • Posted

Well, today my period came 8 days early!!! Ugh...feel wiped out!!!😞
    • Posted

Definitely relate there, too... mine was a week early last month... just missed messing up my gyn exam by a day... whew.  Hope you feel better... the fatigue is really rough.
    • Posted

Yep, so tired and want to eat out of boredom!😰
    • Posted

Somehow, eating sounds good when we don't feel like doing anything else... no food is safe from me.  cry
    • Posted

I know....I'm eyeing some girl scout cookies now! Lol🍪
  • Posted

ive had pms since i was 17, im now 56, and during early peri it became unbearable, and it did hit me first thing int he morning, but i sleep extremely well, i was put on Sertraline Anti depressant, which is an ssri one known as a reuptake inhibitor, which means, the body is taking up to much of our seretonin, so this inhibits it from happening somewhat, but sertraline is specifically for pms depression, not on it now as im post and depression has gone back to what it was thank goodness, some people say sertraline hasnt worked for them it wont if the depression isnt caused by pms, or too much seretonin being taken up and starving the brain, depends whats causing the depression, this one worked for me though, only on it 2 years, and a low dose. 
    • Posted

Elaine, I'm 57 and I'm on 50mg daily of sertraline (I take it first thing in the morning after my breakfast), I'm taking it for depression, following a knee operation in March last year, and menopause. Can I ask you if you suffered from "tummy troubles" whilst on sertraline? I started it in late November and suffered for the first three weeks and then everything settled down, but for the last five weeks I've been suffering again. I've an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday as although I know diarrhoea is normal when on antidepressants, this is beginning to worry me a little...and it's very inconvenient at times!
    • Posted

I haven't heard about sertraline before.  It sounds like it can help.  I'm also interested in the digestive system effects, though, because I have Crohn's disease as well.  
    • Posted

Elaine, thanks for explaining about reuptake; I have not heard of it.  Have had PMS since age 14 and find it to be much worse now in peri, as you mentioned.  What a rollercoaster ride this is.  
    • Posted

Pam.......... im 56 and been post menopausal now for over a year, i was also on 50mg of sertraline, i did have small amount of nausea in the begining but it did settle for me, and that was it to be honest. I didnt have the diarrhoea with it, but i do get that from time to time, even before i was on sertraline, so for me i know it wasnt the meds, as menopause pam can cause symptoms similar to IBS, first your constipated, and then unfortunately were not............ha, do you initially feel bloated, full of gas, and constipated, but then you get the diarrhoea is that how its working? if so, it sounds more like the menopause thats doing it............. but, to be sure always check things out with your  gp.

We have inflammatory bowel disease in the family, my daughter has crohns, it comes with very very severe diarrhoea, and i mean to the point where she cannot go anywhere without having a panic attack over, where the toilet is, it can be that , gently bad for her, not saying this is you, but, she was diagnosed with IBS first, IBS is common amongst some women on the menopause, but like i say get it checked out with your dr to be sure. 

• Posted

elizabeth...........PMS what a pain in the bum thats been for us, Sertraline helped me well with it,  and it is only 50mg dose, mine was horrific during early peri,  dr said if it comes back, i can go back on it, so far i have been ok as its settled back to how it use to be, where as during early peri it became very black depression, and for me, this was the worst symptom, it also works very well in some people for, migraines which, it did for me, it took away the pressure feeling in my head which you can get with migraines, and i know people who went on it specifically for migraines not depression, people dont realise ssris anti depressants, are not just for depression, doesnt take the pain away completely, but, it did take the pressure feeling away, as sertraline causes the blood vessles to retract, and of couse during migraines our vessels swell, so its worked for me in two ways, doesnt work for everyone though ive been told, so good luck with it, think it should work for you given you have pms history............fingers crossed for you.
    • Posted

Elaine, thank you for explaining.  My Crohn's is considered to be mild, but I do know the agony of flare-ups and was so sick the first year that I lost a lot of weight.  I am sorry that your daughter's disease is so severe, it can be really painful to cope with the flare-ups and panic... I know a lot of my anxiety comes from that.  Will definitely be looking into taking something to help the anxiety and PMS.  Keeping fingers crossed for you, too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.