walking

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm almost 4 weeks with left hip replacement. Any feedback about when I  will be able to walk without a cane? I know each person is different but it seems like I'll never do it. It's painful. I guess it's a matter of strength 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen, 

I am 9 weeks soon and just last week started walking around the house without a cane.  If I do it too much my leg gets achey so I limit it.  I also don’t want to walk abnormally so I only walk when strong enough to do so like presurgery.  No need to rush! Easy does it like tortoise and the hare!  Good luck!

• Posted

Dear Caren

Yes of course you are quite correct but acknowledging it is no help to you is it <BG>

Not knowing your age or your level of fitness, if you are over weight, a smoker or a drinker how you are doing with your exercises and if you are a get up and go person or not, all will have a bearing on your speed and quality of progress.

You do not need strength to return to the new normality you went into surgery for but you do need a strong commitment. You also hopefully had an excellent surgeon who did a good job and that vital ingredient called luck or to turn it around no bad luck!

Be positive, push yourself but listen to your body so that you don't push too hard. if you do overdo it take a step back then move forward again

This is important I strongly believe, use both sticks or preferably two arm crutches right up to when you can walk freely and strongly without any hint of limping and with a good gait.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Caren, I've had a THR and another hip surgery. It's first a matter of healing. You can't rush the healing of all of the bone and soft tissue that was necessarily traumatized in order to place the prostheses for your new hip joint.  Everyone is different in recovery, but from what I've read, it looks like the average person can walk without a cane by about 10 weeks. It might be sooner for you, but if you push things too soon, you can do damage to your healing tissues. The strength will come later!

• Posted

Leg muscle strength and balance are key.  It took me about 6 weeks before I managed to feel safe. Take your time, recover well, not fast.
  • Posted

Great advice everyone! Will be sure to listen...I may be pushing too much and not following my own advice about patience. 10 weeks or thereabouts is definitely not unreasonable. You guys are great and so happy I found this forum.
  • Posted

Hi Caren1027

I am 1 month out today - LTHR. I am on a cane as I still have a terrible limp. Today I walked a huge city block - my 1st time. I have not had the confidence for some reason to go very far until today. I am sore but mentally thrilled. I know it will be a few more weeks and have stopped focusing on the lucky ones who are off any aids in a couple of weeks. I was getting myself into a rut...so baby steps until I am ready to go it without any aids.

We are each Individuals  and will heal when our bodies are ready...hang in!

• Posted

Well said! I'm 4 weeks this coming Tuesday so we are about the same and total left hip. Good for you that you went a whole block! Yes I find when I  take baby steps and don't push too hard it's the best. Time will heal us! I'm going to heed everyone's advice. Walking slowly with the cane I'm fine so won't push it! Ty

• Posted

Hi Caren,

I am 10 weeks out.  I can walk without a cane.  Limping when I 1st get up from sitting, but a few steps later, hardly noticeable.  However, when you think about it, a Hugh part of your body was replaced.  It should take time.  I was told by my surgeon, that it would take a year before I could return to my bowling league.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven

• Posted

It definitely helps. I think I needed a little bit of a gage. Thanks steven!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.