walking

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm almost 4 weeks with left hip replacement. Any feedback about when I  will be able to walk without a cane? I know each person is different but it seems like I'll never do it. It's painful. I guess it's a matter of strength 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Caren, when I had my first physio 4weeks post op physio made me walk up and down the corridor without any crutches petrified me but did it. Told me to get off the crutches pronto. I had just gone down to one that week. By 6 weeks no crutches or sticks. Surgeon was pleased to see me walking without assistance. I had to make sure I stood up and had my body in correct posistion. I also used technique another physio taught me after a knee op. I had to learn to walk again heel/toe. THIs meant I did not limp. When I first had hip op was told to walk 3 houses more each time I went out. At the time I thought I wasn’t doing well but now I look back and I was doing ok. It taught me patience. I also benefittedfrom a lower limb physio class once a week for six weeks. Really improved my muscle strength. 
    • Posted

Yes..pt told me to practice a little bit at home without cane but I  limp and he said same thing heel toe. But now I  have hope! Thank you!
  • Posted

Hi Caren, I was 4 weeks post op when I went back to work...BUT...I still was using a cane until around the 6th week..just takes time.

• Posted

Thanks Kelly...yeah I'm supposed to go back to work at 6 weeks so may have to start with the cane which is okay.

• Posted

Hi Caren,

?I'm 8 weeks and 1 day today post LTHR. I have been pottering around the house for several weeks stick free, but using one stick whilst out. Although my physio advised 2 crutches still outside I feel I have made more progress and feel a bit daft on two, so switched to one stick. I felt my muscle strength had improved a lot over the last few weeks too, and I can nearly do a flight of stairs properly, but still use both bannisters to pull on a bit. As I'm back at work this week I thought I would take the dog around the block (quite a small one) last night, and have been to the shops with my hubby today stick - less just to see how it is. But I know I've done it!  Unfortunately, I took a tumble in the house later when I just lost balance, although landed really well. My hip felt fine, I just have a scraped knee and bruised pride. Getting up from the floor was more of a challenge though! But it has shown me that I'm not as steady or as strong as I thought I was and maybe not to be in too much of a rush. So, whatever time it takes you is what it takes. Like many on the forum, the four week - ish mark seems to be when you 'think' you should be doing better, but it's better to do things right. And although your physio exercises may seem tedious or you don't have the time they are the key.lol

• Posted

Dear Jools

There is no shame in using two crutches and it can speed up how quickly you are walking normally and makes sure you are not twisting your back as your muscles gain strength.   It also helps to train your body to a good balanced walking gait.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Thanks! I'm definitely sticking with what pt tells me to do at home. By end of day I'm tired but know to keep on trucking! Today I walked up two blocks and back with my cane..a good accomplishment. I was never told to use crutches so I 'll just stick to the cane. My hip was replaced due to a fracture. I feel like the pt will gradually increase my strength. Ty!! don't fall...that's so much my fear now! Happy you are okay!

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I am 10 1/2 weeks our.  I have a question that’s similar to Jools.  When I got up from sitting, I limp a few steps, but then walk fairly straight.  I know you’re not a doctor, but do you think I still need a cane?

Regards

Steven

• Posted

Dear Steven

Once you are up and walking how good a gait do you have and is your walk strong and balanced? Have you checked in a mirror or shop windows. What do others think when they watch you walking?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard, 

?I've read a lot of your excellent posts, and I guess as you feel so good in yourself you think you can go quicker than you actually can! But I've just noted my shadow when walking out with the dog -- I'm definitely wonky! Also, I went a bit further stick - less, which probably wasn't a good idea as I fatigued on the way back.. It's the weirdest thing - when you have the stick you really feel like you don't need it, but clearly you do! I shall follow your advice and see if I'm less wonky tomorrow lol

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I have not looked at my rejection in simtore windows, although I do use a cane when I’m out. Though indoors I don’t.  As I said, when I first get up from sitting I limp, but a few steps later my limp goes away somewhat!

• Posted

Dear Jools

Thanks for your kind words!

As we all are aware we are all very different but I think it important that we do not allow ourselves to constricted by others one off experience.

By this I mean the fact that someone has taken say six weeks to be walking without support should not be taken as your guide as some do a lot better and others far worse!

When I had my first hip replacement twenty years ago I walked out of hospital needing only one stick to help my stability and none in a couple of days and felt safe walking a mile plus a day on rough country tracks. This distance was rapidly extended. I was very fortunate and would suggest that this is far from the norm but just an indication of what is possible....age 55, Posterior approach....none of your sexy stuff.

Since then I've had a total ankle replacement and a hip revision. My strong advise to you is to if possible use a pair of elbow crutches because these give you good support and control so that as you progress with a good walking gait your muscles are allowed to improve. It should be a seemless process.

I really fail to see the virtue in subjecting your frame and back to struggling with one crutch. REALLY.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Dear Steven

Having used a walking stick briefly for my first hip replacement I do not think it is nearly as good as a pair of elbow crutches... period.

All the best, Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

?I think one of the problems is, is that as I had struggled walking badly for so long my muscles on that side were already significantly weaker. It doesn't feel like it at all when I am upright and walking around the house, but is evident when I use my resistance band for the physio exercises it is fairly obvious. Thanks to lots of excellent posts on here, I understand the real importance of doggedly doing the exercises, and that it will be part of daily life for a very long time! And I will give the two crutches a go again lol

• Posted

Dear Jools

I'm sure that you will really benefit from using two crutches but give it time because it will take some time to build those muscles but stick with it.

Cheers, Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.