Walking after ankle orif

Posted , 5 users are following.

I fell out of a tree 9 weeks ago and shattered my ankle . Foot was manipulated to put back into right direction and plaster over night . Next morning had surgery ankle orif with plates and screws. I didn't have plaster but wore an air boot for 8 weeks . I was told no weight bearing at all .

I had a screw removed 2 days ago and told no more air boot and weight bearing as tolerable .

I am waiting to hear about physio but tried to put some weight on foot and it seems my knee cannot take the weight let alone the foot . Any advise ?

I

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have been NWB for awhile. (I was 3 months!) all your muscles and joints have not been used. Your PT will help get everything working again
  • Posted

Hi Julian. You must have physio so you can learn how to get your ankle back in shape.  I can't imagine healing properly without physio. You need the right exercises and a progression path that makes sense and you'll avoid reinjury.

• Posted

Hi Julian. There seems to be so many different ways of treating a broken ankle. I broke mine on both sides and had to get if manipulated back into place. Had to wait 9days before they would operate because of swelling. Plate was quite big on outside of my ankle with. Lrg scar. Inside of ankle not quite as big. 1 1/2 weeks in plaster cast then. Stitches out. 4wks in cast, then another cast for another 4. Now in a boot for 4 weeks. Told I can now weight bear and walk, but no way without crutches. My knee has been giving me trouble for 3dayz now, but I've been on waiting list to get it operated on for 1 1/2 yrs. But after this.... No way can I go through this again. Not being able to walk or do anything for my set. 9weeks later and I'm only just able to put light weight on my foot.... Wishing you luck and speedy recovery. Sx

• Posted

Sandra can't wait to walk and be self sufficient .didnt really use crutches for 9 weeks I bought an Iwalk 2 peg leg that enabled me to walk and have use of hands . This was amazing I could stand walk and carry don't know how I would have managed without it . Starting now with crutches so I can put weight on foot .

Can't wait to be non reliant on others and drive !

• Posted

It's the relying on others that gets me dwn. And nor being able to drive is the biggest bug bare ever. Usually moan about driving, but not being able to to drive for 9 weeks now, and still have 3weeks to go in this big ugly boot, then give to see what happens nxt. Hope your not in too much pain with the weight bearing, since starting mine just over a week ago the pain, burning soreness and swelling has gone through the roof. Even gone back to icing my foot and strong pain relief. 😢. S

• Posted

You'll be fine! I hated relying on others as I'm very independent. But my daughter reminded me, mom you've done things for everyone ever since I can remember. Now accept it, you deserve it. Still hard.

You'll be fine. At 5 1/2 months I finally walked without a cane. Bottom line, because of this forum it'll be a year before you're 100%.

• Posted

OMG 5 1/2 mths. Think I will be pulling my hair out. I'm hoping I'm not that long with support. Told myself it's going to be a long haul. But gets me dwn so much. As long as I can get from a to b in my car and ALONE. I will b happy. S

• Posted

Take I think one day at a time. It's frustrating and some days depressing but you'll get through. Some days I thought it'd never end but having a great PT and support & my faith got me through. It'll go faster than you think. I broke my right ankle so being able to drive was out of the question for months.

Hang in there!

• Posted

**take it one day at a time**

Darn auto correct!

• Posted

Mine is the right ankle too. So dreading how long it's going to take. 9weeks. So far. 😢 feels like a lifetime time. Tried putting the cleaner over the room today, from ?.... No chance, wish I hadn't tried now 😔. Sx

• Posted

Waiting to hear about physio . Tried more weight bearing today still no where near 😞

• Posted

Sandra I'm the same been weight bearing as tolerable 5 days now . Keep putting more weight on right foot . So sore tonight and swollen . Had 2 stitches for the screw removal by local anaesthetic checked it out when I changed dressing this morning . Didn't feel a thing when they took screw out though .

Try again tomorrow want to walk without crutches asap . PMA

• Posted

Think it's all we can do is a little more each day. I wasn't told but forgot to ask how much weight I should put on foot, so don't want to over do it, just in case I'm putting too much on. Have physio tomorrow so will see what's said then. Can't wait to be boot and crutches free. Can't come fast enough. But think I'm jumping the gun a bit. It's going to be a long haul I think 🤔. S

• Posted

Sandra seems we are all impatient.

I keep partial weight bearing at work with crutches but now I'm home ankle has swollen . Had foot up but taken 4 hours for swelling to go down . Have stitches out next Tuesday and physio straight after . Will report back .

Go on holiday in 5 weeks on a cruise so really need to be walking by then !

• Posted

That's something to aim for. Good luck with stitches. I got mine out nearly 5weeks ago, killer, Soz, but now noticed. A few threads coming through my scar? Tried pulling on them but 2nif budging, so going to. Leave and see if it comes out itself. Keep us posted. Sx

• Posted

I've been sat out on my garden today first time I've been able to manage the steps out since before my fall 9weeks today!! Was great to get fresh air without it having to be a visit to the hospital. Did a bit of DIY. rubbing dwn and painting bedroom side cupboards great..... I love DIY and have missed it. My hubby can't even change a plug I do everything. Papering bedroom as soon as I'm able. But foot still swollen and pumping with pain 😔. Sx

• Posted

Sandra had main stitches out 8 weeks ago 21 no but I too thought a few loose threads they seemed to disappear as the scabs came off . These 2 I got for a screw removal whuch come out Tuesday . Good luck with your diy I too am quite handy . Floor layer by trade carpet vinyl mainly commercial . Have my own company with lads working for me but miss doing jobs myself . Even had to get someone to cut the grass . So frustrating but hopefully be doing it myself soon .
    • Posted

That's a biggy with laying carpet and vinyl as you need to be dwn on floor for quite a while and be able to stretch the carpet with that thing you hit with yr knee?? Don't you. So really want to be as fit as you can be for that, so it's a must for you to get fit ASAP. Been talking today with my son about wanting vinyl in kitchen, but got told off as he desperately needs carpet in his bedroom before nxt winter as its the coldest room in the house. Lol so kitchen is on hold!! He dud our lawn yesterday and one side of hedges today, nearly finished him off, he don't do hard work. Lol. But he's been great since my accident. He's 18 but not been able to find a job since leaving school. Hes into film, editing. And also a fab drummer. But will try anything to get out and earn.. We will get there Julian. Let's hope sooner rather than later!! Sx

• Posted

Went for my first physio today, total waste of time. No family to take me as they are away on hols, so my best friend managed to change her shift at work. Arrived at 9M in straight away but she didn't have instruction from consultant as to what he wanted done. Checked my file and ad I'm in boot for another 2weeks with LWB, there wasn't mush that she could do. She gave me a list of gental exercises, but no full weigh bearing until I've had my next appointment with consultant. Why can't different departments come together on things. Total waste. 😢 sx

• Posted

Hi. I have a question for you. I'm 3 1/2 months post surgery. Out of boot. Started using cane but it set me back. I got horrific pain in the inner side of my calf. I'm back on crutches. I think I walked too much too soon. Got excited that I finally could. Did you experience pain when starting on the cane?

Thanks,

Karen 😀😀😀

• Posted

hi , i would say that going from crutchs to a cane would give different way of walking and use of different muscles as you are now putting full body weight using a cane, where the crutches would compensate for a lot. You may of over done it as i too would be over the moon the day im using just a cane....cant wait. I would say little but often and to build up ad to day...good luck sx
    • Posted

Thanks. 😀

I think you're right. Too much. Too soon. I'm going to continue with the crutches till this new pain is completely healed. Just using crutches yesterday relieved the pain quite a bit.

I have a 6 week dr. appt. this Monday. X-rays and full check to see how it's going.

I'll feel much better after seeing him.

Best wishes and continued good healing to you. 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.