walking after minimally invasive bunion surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a scarf osteotomy with minimally invasive surgery on Wednesday 17th and have been sent home with crutches and told to elevate the foot for 50 mins out of every hour for 2 weeks. Its day 4 and I have found myself sometimes walking a few steps without them, just without any weight on the toe - when I'trying to carry something like a cup of tea! I have no pain but wonder if this is allowed or will it interfer with the healing process? Any thoughts

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think it's really good your walking - what do you mean by minimal? When do you intend to get back fully fit? My surgeon has told me the problem with mine is I only have 30% movement in my big toes when I should have 60% - he states that by releasing all the tissues around I can get the 60% back etc. should be back at football soon. So I don't know if mine is minimal ? Hope you get a full recovery - philip
    • Posted

Hi Irlam, I was referring to the kind of procedure I had which was "minimally invasive" just a technical term for keyhole surgery - where they do everything through a small hole guided by a  X-ray machine. The idea is that they don't have to cut open the foot and so there is less tissue damage to heal. The bone still takes 6 weeks though, nothing can make that faster sad How long are you post surgery? maybe its still early days for your toe to have recovered fully? 
  • Posted

I had the same done on the 11th September so am day ten. I have been hobbling on my heels and the sides of my feet. Did you have both feet done?

I was told I didn't need crutches (which I thought odd as have had both feet done!) but I had some at home so did use them, only for a few days though then I just hobbled. 

I too am worried about the healing process but was told I would be fine. I only walk to the toilet and the fridge so am hoping it will be ok, the hospital physio taught me how to walk in the shoes and up and down the stairs only a few hours after coming out of theatre so it must be ok??!!

Can I ask where you had yours done? Mine was at the BMI in Worthing.

• Posted

I had mine done by David Redfern at St John and St Elizabeths in London, I had my right foot done as I had my left foot operated on the conventional way 14 years ago. I HATED that recovery but it was a very successful operation. I think I'll call the on Monday and check on the walking question as the crutches are becoming more of a hindrance than a help.
  • Posted

Hi - no I am due to have surgery on 16 October this year - key hole was not mentioned. I don't know whether to go through with it ? 
  • Posted

My surgeon is mr Watson at the oak lands in Manchester linked to Salford royal 
  • Posted

Another question - were you given shoes to wear? I was but thought they were for if I needed to hobble outside, at home I just walk on my heels without them but am putting pressure on the other side of my feet as well as the heel - worried now I have been doing it all wrong?
    • Posted

I have a bunion bootie and my surgeon said never to walk without it - but I see that everyone seems to get different instructions and advice - but maybe double check about that one on Monday?
    • Posted

I have velcro shoes and haven't worn them at all, really hope I haven't messed anything up but really haven't gone very far on my feet and always walked on heels and sides, will call the docs tomorrow and check - fingers crossed sad
  • Posted

Most surgeons tell the patient to walk only in the post op shoe as it is designed to prevent putting weight on the forefoot.  You can heel walk and side walk in this shoe . Walking barefoot is risky and alot of surgeons specifically say not to while the bones are healing. You don't have to use crutches as long as you are in the shoe.  I am 5 months post Chevron osteotomy and hammer toe arthroplasty done regular method and 7 weeks post additional procedures done minimally invasively on same foot (Akin osteotomy and 2nd toe tendon release).  In both surgeries was not allowed to walk in anything other that the post op shoe until the bones were healed.
    • Posted

Thanks for the response Rena, am really worried now as I haven't worn them at all. I haven't exactly gone far (sofa to toilet or the fridge) but still, really hope I haven't screwed up the healing process. It wasn't the surgeon who gave them to me it was the physio and nurse and they said I had to wear them if I went out and they were beneficial as protected the foot more from being bashed, but didn't say about the bones. 

I will call the surgeon in the morning, hopefully its not too bad as I really haven't gone far and had definitely only heel and side walked - fingers crossed, gutted if I have messed it up sad

• Posted

I'm sure you will be fine, if you had done anything bad to your feet they would really hurt!
    • Posted

True that! Same goes I guess if it wasn't healing properly....just worry about it all as its such a long and laborious process and really don't want to screw it up or EVER have to go through this again!!!! Thats why I did them both at the same time as knew I wouldn't do it again! 

Will send a pic of the scars when I have the dressings changed on thurs smile

• Posted

Totally understand after going through it once 14 years ago I swore I would NEVER do it again, but here I am with the horrible bootie on my right foot this time. So far its been a doddle compared to last time where the pain was unreal and I had to crawl everywhere on my hands and knees!
    • Posted

Blimey, that sounds horrific!!! I never had the guts to go down the conventional route, and took me for ever to pluck up the courage to do this - its not toooooo bad tho wink
    • Posted

Totally horrific, I went back to see the surgeon after 2 weeks and he told me to rest up for another week and I just burst into tears! he suggested I had a glass of brandy! I'll never forget it. he did do a great job though, so I had to weigh that up when making the decision to use a different surgeon and go MIS
    • Posted

Oh bless, thats horrible! I love the medicinal advise though!!

Just put my gorgeous velcro shoes on to pop to the loo, so hard to walk in as am so used to not wearing them, feel like I am learning to walk all over again sad Frustration frustration frustration...gggrrrr

• Posted

I rang the surgery this morning and the nurse sid I had to use the crutches all the time! no walking without them, grrrrrrrrr, can't understand what real difference it makes as weight bearing on ches feels much the same as walking on my heel in my groovy velcro shoe
    • Posted

At least you have an answer, I called the surgery and they didn't call me back - can't quite beat private care can you! 

I hate the groovy velcro shoe, hate hate hate it, actually hurts more walking in that than without it sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.