walking after minimally invasive bunion surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a scarf osteotomy with minimally invasive surgery on Wednesday 17th and have been sent home with crutches and told to elevate the foot for 50 mins out of every hour for 2 weeks. Its day 4 and I have found myself sometimes walking a few steps without them, just without any weight on the toe - when I'trying to carry something like a cup of tea! I have no pain but wonder if this is allowed or will it interfer with the healing process? Any thoughts

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had minimally invasive bunion surgery on both feet in September at the BMI hospital in Goring.    My bunions were moderate and I was told they were correctable.   My expectation from the surgeon's literature saying that the surgery rebalances the big toe and there is a significant improvement in the alignment afterwards.  I assumed then that my big toes would be nice and straight afterwards. However, the big toe on my left foot is slightly angled.  When I queried it with the surgeon he said that his aim was to get rid of the bunion and it was not cosmetic and that the mis-alignment might get worse in the future. He did not know whether the right foot would remain straight either.

Being self-funded and having paid a lot of money for the surgery, I did not expect this at all.  I am now left with mixed feelings of being pleased that the bunions have disappeared and disappointed that I was not made aware that my big toes may not be straight after the surgery.   So if anybody is thinking of having this surgery, please check with your consultant surgeon to see if your big toes will be straight afterwards.  They may not be.   

• Posted

Hi. I too had mine done at goring hall and can only assume by the same surgeon.  I too have mixed feelings, my bones havent fused (which I guess i can't blame him for) but I still look like I have a bunion, same thing said when i asked why he didn't shave the bone was it is not a cosmetic procedure. I understand that but while they are there anyway surely they could make them as straight as possible?!

Do you have any photos?

• Posted

Hello Nathsa

Thanks for your reply.  I do have photos but I don't know how to upload any here.   I'm sorry you have been dissatisfied with your surgery and I hope your bones will fuse soon.   It does sound like the same surgeon as I had at Goring Hall, so is he doing any more for you?  

My bones are healing well.  I'm just concerned about the angle on my left foot, especially if it misaligns further in the future.   At no time during the consultations did the surgeon mention that my toes might not straighten.   It should have been made explicit in his patient information which he gave to me during the first consultation.  

I have spoken to my GP and she is going to write to him.   I would have written, but I probably wouldn't get an answer.

• Posted

I'm four days into having mine removed and three screws put in I've been to scared to put any weight onto it Incase I hurt it
  • Posted

Hi Simbacat that sounds amazing...wow 4 days and walking already. I have keyhole surgery planned on both feet for April. I would like to hear how you're getting on now? You must be jumping around smile
  • Posted

HI there Irlam, I'm doing well. Its now about 6 onths snce my surgery and it has been quite a road to recovery. At 3 months I still had a good deal ofpain. I was kinda saving my big toe and shifting my weight to the other side, causing my little toe and that side of my foot to really really ache. But it has all settled down really well now.Mostly Idon't think about my foot. I have shifted all my worry to other things in my life like trying to sell my house LOL.My foot looks like its not been operated on, there is no sign at all of what it has been through. The only thing i have been left with is still a bump on my little toe - a bunionette. That was there to start with.Its not misaligned, its just a bony growth and when I get around to it I might have it shaved down by MIS just to make shoe fitting easier.I would say I have probably had the easiest jorney of anyone on the boards,which I put down to the brilliance of my surgeon.smile 
    • Posted

Hello Simbacat,

thinging of having my bunions done. Who was your surgeon and where did he operate. I live in Dublin. Does anyone perform mis here.

thanks

catherine

• Posted

Hello all my fellow bunionites (my new word) I have gone on all the bunion forum surgery sites for the last 2years.

I've heard all the awful stories of screws n bolts. Loss of feeling. Crutches. And most of all pain for months.

I went to "San roman clinic " in alicante Spain.

It is a private clinic and obviously it costs.

Having said that. My bunions were HUGE. both feet, with 2 hammer toes on each foot to top it all.

I had surgery on 14th Oct 2016. Both feet. I walked unaided out of the clinic. I'm 5 days post op. I'm still walking unaided. I'm due back to the clinic Fri 21 to have the present bandages removed. Will keep in touch. I'll let you know how it goes. Catherine ?

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

I am researching my options and so far your sounds like the best choice! Just wanted to check in and see i you are happy with the results? If you don't mind terribly to share also what to expect as cost from San Roman Clinic? I hope you've had great results!

Warm Wishes,

Ettie

• Posted

Hello Catherine how are you feeling now ? Do you have any pictures that we can have a look at for before and after?

• Posted

Hi Ettie

Did you go ahead with surgery and if so would you mind sharing who you decided to go with ?

• Posted

Hi I had minimally invasive bunion surgery at BMI Goring Hall 6days ago. I decided to have both feet done as I wanted to get them sorted in one go. I used elbow crutches for 2dats as I felt a bot wobbly but am now managing fine without. I am wearing the Velcro boots they gave me which helps me walk on my heels. My feet were very sore the 1st 2days post op but are pain- free now. I feel I'm doing well but I am concerned about the huge gap between my big toes and my 2nd toe. I'm hoping that when rye bandage comes off with the k- wire splint it will look more normal!! Can anyone help please? Thanks
  • Posted

Hello

I know this is quite an old post although just wondering if you have pictures of mis surgery as it is something I am considering too although still quite unsure.! Thank you

• Posted

Hi, I had MIS surgery to both feet 2 years and although they look great I would never ever have MIS surgey with hindsight!!! I had mine done at Goring Hall Hospital. Bit of a  long story but I had so much pain in my right foot in the weeks post surgery, unlike the left foot! I ended up having another op as had the screw changed as apparently it was too long and was poking inside the joint but was still in so much pain after that still. I emailed the Consultant a few weeks later as I could not bear to bend the foot and could hardly walk and my Physio also felt something wasn't right! The Consultant was totally disinterested and just replied there was nothing he could do and it was just stiffness!!! 

I got a second opinion from another Consultant locally,who was fantastic  and after scanning my foot found there was a partial laceration to one of the tendons under the foot, lots of inflammation. I had steroid injections to try to settle inflammation but also I had been left with a lump on the top of my foot which was so painful, I struggled to wear any shoes but was told by the original Consultant again that it was nothing. I ended up having to have it operated on and my local Consultant found that a nerve had been divided and stuck in scar tissue on this bony lump!!

I was off work for 15 months in total!!! Also I had to change the ward I worked on as I couldn't do the walking required. I still have pain every single day ( far worse than I had from the bunions) , can only wear flat shoes and cant do any running or other aerobic exercises like I used to. My local Consultant has seen at least 3 other patients with damage /problems following surgery by the same Consultant !! I would only ever conventional surgery if I could turn the clocks back!! 

• Posted

Hi Michelle I am due to have MIS on my foot at Goring Hall in a few weeks. But having read your awful experience I am worried that I may have the same consultant as you. Please could you tell me the name of the consultant who carried out your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.