Walking up and down stairs alone

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm 5.5 days post op. Back home after 3 days and getting about OK but staying upstairs as no toilet downstairs. I have been downstairs a few times with no problems but don't want to be popping up and down all day to go to the loo.

My husband goes back to work tomorrow and kids at school and I'm nervous about going up and down stairs with no one in the house. Do I just stay upstairs a while longer until I'm stronger or just go for it. I do feel confident going up and down stairs it's just the 'what if' scenario. What are other hippies doing?

Karen x

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Any chance of you getting a high commode with arms for downstairs.
  • Posted

I felt the same in the early days. I was always up, washed etc before my husband and daughter went to work. Always wore jeans so I could keep mobile phone with me at all times in pocket. Then I did not have to go upstairs more than once or most twice during the day. When I had visitors went to the loo, only one and that upstairs, before they left. Additionally had a sheewee and an old bowl that I kept downstairs. Acted more as insurance but did use it once or twice
    • Posted

Thanks Maggie, never thought of the shewee lol. I have one in camping kit. Good ideas, all my friends work though so not likely to have any visitors during day and every time I gave a drink I need a wee lol. A few things to think about though. Might go down for part if day so not so many trips.
    • Posted

Sheewee!! took me a while to figure that out. I bought one too but not great at using it even more op. But intend to put it in big handbag if going to daughters house as no high toilets..
  • Posted

Hi Karen ... sounds like good advice ... make sure you have your grabber up- and down stairs - have your mobile phone with you .... 

you will be fine - just trust your self - taking one step at a time and taking your time with it /\..

oh, but when you feel the urge, go ..... I am still not completely in control of my bladder redface 

• Posted

Hi renee

reading your conversation I now realise it's not just me. I only said to my husband this morning that I think the surgeon must of done something to my bladder as I seem to be weeing for England. 

By the way Karen I agree with everyone, sounds good advice. 

I am Lucky I live in a bungalow

have a good day lots of love to you all

• Posted

Hi Karen

it won't be long before you will be comfortably, if slowly, going up and down.  We live in a town house so I seem be be going up and down all day.  The more you do it the easier it will seem.  Just take your time and plan the loo visits, e.g. Have a nice big drink and go up before you need to.  I found the crutches were the easiest way to go up and down in the first 3 weeks.  from 3 weeks onwards I have been able to go up and down with stick in one hand and cup of coffee in the other.  

Laura 

• Posted

I bought a wee flask that I can put in a carrier bag. Thought it would be handy for the coffee. Haven't tried it yet
    • Posted

Had to think about that one - I read it as a flask to wee in!!! ☺️
    • Posted

That's so funny. That's because where I come from originally I Ireland we have a lot of Scottish words. Some else on the forum called the female urinal a sheewee.

I've just had 4 hours good sleep first night home in own bed.

Hope you are sleeping vwell tonight.

• Posted

Still can't get off  keep trying. Trouble is I want to eat. Already had one dark chocolate ginger biscuit!  I'll never get my jeans on, been living in joggers/dresses. 

Im tired but resigned 

hope you're asleep xx

• Posted

Sheewee is a trade name for the device that enables women to wee standing. Useful for those toilets at Glastenbury
    • Posted

Like it. Thought it was your own idea. The first day after op when I was trying to use bed pan light lunch was on tv and they were talking about how women wee in Glastonbury!!!!✴
  • Posted

Hi Karen...If it was me, I would hire a Caravan Toilet for downstairs, it is so silly to have your life, ruled by a toilet...

Just take the steps one at a time, and be careful, you need to build your self confidence at the moment, and I am still taking steps going down one at a time at 7 weeks post op, and going back to work, on Monday, our Staff Room is up on the second floor and will have to go up and down 13 large steps every two hours at least, I could use the lift, but prefere the light excercise or the stepping,

Yyou can hire toilets from camping and caraven shops, and they are not too expensive to buy either.

Thats my idea, and hope that you are not marooned upstairs for too long as it could begin to bring on a downer...Dont bring on a Downer with all the tablets and upset of a major operation and unbalancing effect it has on us all.

Just been talking to Linzh about the dreaded downer, I have had one once, it spread to the wife and it was hard to shake off too...

Hope my solution works for you sure it will, if you give it a go..LOL..

cheesygrincheesygrin PUN INTENDED!!!lollol.

cool  Ian +++

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.