Walking up and down stairs alone

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm 5.5 days post op. Back home after 3 days and getting about OK but staying upstairs as no toilet downstairs. I have been downstairs a few times with no problems but don't want to be popping up and down all day to go to the loo.

My husband goes back to work tomorrow and kids at school and I'm nervous about going up and down stairs with no one in the house. Do I just stay upstairs a while longer until I'm stronger or just go for it. I do feel confident going up and down stairs it's just the 'what if' scenario. What are other hippies doing?

Karen x

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks all. I think I've just had Sunday blues too. I've been up and down stairs several times today and actually found it quite easy. I'd rather be moving than sitting still as I just can't get comfy. Came upstairs for a little snooze as little sleep last night ( I rang hospital to ask for anti sickness tablets as feeling terrible but they just said if they make you unwell stop taking them), so I'm just on paracetamol and can't sleep on back so very tired. Will go back downstairs for tea then back up for evening.

Day 6 almost done. Wound check tomorrow, apparently I'm too young to have district nurse come out so Hubby's got to get home from work and shoe horn me into the car to get to clinic, then hoping I start to feel more comfortable next week and sleep better. Can't feel like this forever I guess.

Thanks for all helpful comments. X x

• Posted

Karen...Wonder where you live for the District Nurse not to come out??? Is that for real....??? Please let me know??? Ian.frown
    • Posted

Hi Ian,

I'm in Doncaster. The hospital gave me dressing to give to district nurse and said they'd arrange visits then they called my husband and said cos I'm going (44) I should arrange to get myself to my own doctors surgery. I thought it was a but of a cheek only 6 days after major op.

• Posted

Mean...I live in Blackpool....simillar sort of town, but they did come and see me...+++
  • Posted

Hi Karen, it sounds like you are actually doing very well. Climbing up and down stairs is very good exercise and will help strengthen your legs back up quickly.

Do not worry so much about the "what-if", just take your time, you really are in no rush. It is the rushing around that causes the slips, trips and falls. So take your time and take care. Every few days you will realise that you can now do something else easily, you will be less tired and start to sleep better. But it's a slow progression and some days you will feel worse than the day before, so do not compare daily, but weekly, and you will see yourself improving all the time. Best of luck, isn't this forum great for asking questions? smile

• Posted

Hi Karen

You are doing well- don't fret yourself!

i was not out of hospital till day 5 due to temperature spikes!

You know, there's not a plan for any of us on our individual journeys

Just go with the flow day by day and do take it slow

We live in a bungalow and our bedroom has en suite. I have 'lived' in our bedroom as that is where I felt most comfortable

Do what makes YOU feel comfortable -everything changes day by day

and you will feel differently all the time

I am 3.5 weeks post op and only this weekend felt strong enough to manoeuvre 2 flights of stairs where my mum lives

You will get there - we all do in our own time

Kind wishes Linda xx💞💞💞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.