Want to come off citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking citalopram 10mg every morning for the past 13 days and i feel its not had any effect on me i know it takes about a month to kick in and sometimes i have felt some effects but lately i've been feeling dizzy when sat down, getting bad headaches and effects of a dry throat with insomnia, i know these are all side effects but i just want to be back to my old self and feel i shouldn't have been given this drug. i've explained it to my doctor and she said that i can come off it since i haven't been taking it long and only on a low dosage. should i come off it or stick with it i feel like i should come off it though

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI there it depends on the quality of your life before you started taking them. If you were down and depressed or anxious these tablets could well be the answer. All the things you mentioned are side effects of starting the drug but will leave anywhere between 4-8 weeks and you may begin to feel better anywhere between 4-12 weeks. Some people have very minimal side effects and  feel it work straight away. While Most have  go through  worse side effects and take longer to feel the good effects. The decision is your ultimately many people have been helped by sticking it out. If you do stop them maybe take a half a pill for a few days then stop, less withdrawal. Have a great weekend
  • Posted

HI I am in the same trouble as you, day 10 for me, 5mg, not doing nothing for my anxiety, also on 7.5mg of mitazapine for sleep, I am having bad trouble with the menopause ,adrenalin rushing with lose of appertight, bad anxiety, and depression, staying on sofa a lot ,curtains shut with t,v on at the moment, not wanting to see anyone, but do take dogs out, and nip to shops , I am going to keep on with tablets as doctor says, they say 4 to 6 weeks , it's day by day with me, I should give them a chance , forgot to say I am on escitalopram, 5mg I think it,s similar to Citalopram ,

• Posted

100% agree with Filip, it all depends on what things were like before you started taking them. We all had some reason for starting them mine was anxiety for no reason with waves of depression and it had gotten to a point that I needed something to help me. I went through the same things as you the worst parts were that my anxiety and depression was even more heightened and I couldn't sleep. I went through the same thoughts as you about quitting the meds and just wanting to be normal again but realized that I was not "normal" prior to the meds and needed to stay the course. It took a while to get through the worst of it and I still struggle with different aspects but things are getting better and I am happy that I decided to stick with it. Hoping you find some peace soon, remember to try and focus on small improvements and don't put pressure on yourself to be 100% recovered immediately, that will only make you focus on the things that aren't going well opposed to the things that are improving

• Posted

What was the reason doctor gave them to you?anyhow for whatever reason they don't work like you want them to..they are not a quick fix...but if you want to come off..hurry up the days are going by quickly...

• Posted

the main reason i was put on them was because i had been diagnosed with IBS and Acid Reflux but doctor also thought it was because I had mild health anxiety at the time and was mainly taking it because of that. I was also taking mebeverdine to help with the IBS and am now taking Gavascon advance for my reflux so I think I should just stick with those for now. I've had a full blood and stool sample and MRI scan blood and MRI came back negative for anything but they did find some inflammation in my stool sample so waiting to hear back from clinic for any further tests.

• Posted

i suppose the main thing is i'm not depressed or anything might be a bit anxious but i've only been taking it a couple of weeks and i really feel i should come off it would i feel the withdrawal effects after only a couple of weeks?

• Posted

You will feel some withdrawal..every one's different I definitely had withdrawals from 2weeks of effexor..not good...

• Posted

so after much deliberation i've decided to stop taking my 10mg of citalopram i talked to my doctor a couple of days ago and she said if i feel i should stop then stop she didn't give me any clear directions of how to stop just said stop so i'm going to stop taking them and see how it fares wish me look

• Posted

so i think i'm gonna keep a diary of how i feel to give other folks an understanding of what it's like to stop citalopram. So 35 hours of taking my last 10mg feeling kinda tired but a good kind of tired my head feels clear for once rather than fuzzy all the time, feeling a bit anxious with symptoms in my throat but to be expected been drinking lots of water so should be getting it out of my system fully by tomorrow

• Posted

well maybe not fully tomorrow i heard it takes about 24-48 hours to get out of your system without taking any tablets
    • Posted

Where did you get that info from???it might be a text book info..but I don't think that's correct...after it's out of your system which may take months..then it's left in your brain and that may take long also...maybe your one of the lucky ones...I don't mean to scare you .but I have lots of experience with these meds...

• Posted

day 2 of not taking citalopram feel fine no withdrawal symptoms so far in fact i've felt better than ever it feels like a weight has been lifted off my brain not taken a single table within 48 hours. if anything anxious crops up i just ignore it and try to get on with other stuff or i just leave it going and carry on with stuff. i also think that stuff in my throat, which was the main problem, is now to do with my reflux and just deal with it so i take mebeverdine and gavascon for my ibs and reflux. i realize it might take a while to be fully rid of this but maybe i am one of the lucky ones will only update when i feel something truly terrible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.