Want to come off citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking citalopram 10mg every morning for the past 13 days and i feel its not had any effect on me i know it takes about a month to kick in and sometimes i have felt some effects but lately i've been feeling dizzy when sat down, getting bad headaches and effects of a dry throat with insomnia, i know these are all side effects but i just want to be back to my old self and feel i shouldn't have been given this drug. i've explained it to my doctor and she said that i can come off it since i haven't been taking it long and only on a low dosage. should i come off it or stick with it i feel like i should come off it though

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Some people can quit taking it with no side effects. My husband quit cold turkey, and he was on a higher dose than you (20 mg, IIRC).

?It really depends on the individual, I think. I have a feeling I'd have a hard time quitting, because I had such a hard time with side effects when I started taking them.

• Posted

That's true because my little sister cold turkey Prozac after a year of taking them no withdrawals..it just depends on the individual..and also she didn't have any start up effects either..

• Posted

yeah the side effects for me when i started taking it  was terrible insomnia barley any sleep at all and vivid dreams about horrible stuff, mainly things involving some form of death, but now i'm a lot better and hope to stay that way the rest of this week. Got a doctors appointment after next week so will discuss with doctor then but yeah going good so far

• Posted

so day 4 of no citalopram feeling alright if not a little tired and some mood swings from time to time my head feels somewhat tingly and strained but to be expected all and all still not felt bad things yet still feeling a bit health anxious but learning to keep it under control
  • Posted

so a week after not taking any citalopram i feel better still not getting a lot of sleep and still a bit anxious but i've started taking Valerian root extract from Nytol, for mild anxiety and Kalm, for night time non-interrupting sleep, i highly recommend Valerian root extract though as it immediately calms you down and keeps you calm for a while i've found and thanks to that today i feel happier. I only really recommend taking anything like citalopram unless you are highly desperate and only use it as a last resort. Good luck out there everybody with your anxiety and stuff speak to you all again soon.

• Posted

Thanks goodness you where only 13days on celexa..good with your new meds...take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.