Want to come off ramipril

Posted , 24 users are following.

I have been taking ramipril 5mg for about five years now and am really unsure wether they are benfitting my blood pressure and whether they are giving me side effects. I am 59 years old, retired, slim build and very active (cycling,swimming etc) but previously my diet was not great.. About a month ago my BP did this spike up  to 160/90 at the Doctor surgery but this was probably due to ''white coat syndrome'' as my average BP was about 135/80. I feel very tired in the afternoons, sleep poorly and get mild/dizziness/vertigo type symptons (unsure if these are Ramipril side effects though).   About three weeks ago I decided to embark on a very healthy diet (ie no processed food, eating fruit,  vegetable, chicken, fish, very low salt and Lycamoto tabs) and My BP is now regularly down on average to 120/65, it has been as low as 110/65 when I am relaxed.  My plan is to persue this new diet (I am also taking Lycamoto tablets)  and if the good BP results continue, to ask my GP whether I can be weened off Ramipril.. Has anyone else managed to come off Ramipril ? What were your experiences ?     

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Glad your feeling much better ,long may it continue ,
    • Posted

Pleased you are feeling benefits of coming off medication. What was your Doctors view about coming off medication ? Presumably you weened yourself off the medication ?  Once I finish my current preescription of 5Mg I am going to see me GP about coming off Ramipril. I feel it contibutes to my bad sleeping patterns, sleepiness in afternoons and occasional vertigo symptons. I have experimented with coming off the Ramipril for several days but then my blood pressure goes up to the 140's (at moment it is average 125/70). Any advice for me Kathleen ? 
    • Posted

Sadly I took the drastic action of stopping Ramipril ,,,,then told my GP ,who then prescribed Losartan ,
    • Posted

Hi

You can start weaning yourself off the Ramipril; be open and honest with your Dr and ask for his/her support!

Do not worry or stress over that.

As a compliment to tapering down (less) medication, start a regular walking program.

Any Dr should encourage healthy eating, exercise and stress management before drugs - it's the natural way for your body to help heal itself!

It helps if you are positive and believe you will be successful. Fear creates stress, see yourself getting better!

To decrease high BP

A) exercise - walking is excellent

B) eating a variety whole foods do not eat processed foods as they contains hidden salt/chemicals

C) deep breathing with relaxation

D) stress release/reduction be playful, laugh, socialize, help others D) try not to focus only on health problems, discomfort, pain etc., instead focus on what you can do!

I helped myself by constantly trying to do just one thing - for example: I had good brisk walk for 30 to 45 min then walked into pharmacy to test my BP ( Sat and did deep breathing relaxed, closed my eyes, five min later I had BP of 95/65

This proved to me I could help myself!my mindset through six months of inflammation and pain was that I wanted to get well, and that I didn't want to be dependent on medication.

My own Dr told me most people couldn't do what I've done??

I was also told to change medications and that I might need to be on 2-4 different BP meds at the same time!

In all my own research I see that this is the standard way health care is prescribed. (More meds, increasing doses).

I hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi ,no sadly I didn't ,,,I had been on it a couple of months ,along with many other changes to my medication, all at the same time ,and I was having problems of musle aches ,and pains ,tired all the time ,very lethargic ,and a continuous cough ,,,so I didn't really know which one ,,,if any ,,,were causing these problems ,,,,so I took it upon myself to stop

ALL medication ( except inhalers) ,,,and introduce one at a time ,,,,and I think it was the Ramipril that was causing problems,,,then over the phone  I told my GP what I'd done ( hard to get an appointment ) and of course he said I should have gone to see him first ,,,,but understood , he agreed to change my blood pressure tablets to Losartan ,,,,and also agreed to put me back on one of my inhalers ( that had been changed to tablet Montelukast ) so fingers crossed ,good health to us all ,

• Posted

Very inspiring kathleen04185, I have come to realize that taking an active approach to bp and health care is quite possible. I am just beginning to do this myself and I know that it will take time but very grateful to find these forums and learn what others are doing
  • Posted

Whilst taking Ramipril I suffered severe stuffy nose and pain across bridge of nose and headaches , similar to sinusitus. Discovered the symptoms had disappeared whilst on holiday when I realised I'd forgotten to take my tablets with me! Changed to Candesarten but these also under review as problems not so bad but still there at night. Awaiting CT Scan results of sinuses after ENT appointment but suspect the culprit is the medication. Trialing Pro Argi+ and hawthorn berry at the moment.
  • Posted

replying but see this is old!

I was on Ramiprill put up to 10mg I think. After 10 days I had no appetite, and was just sitting about thinking who was going to die next and with no confidence to plan anything. Self diagnosed I was going into depression and told doctor I was coming off it. Picked up immediately. My mother on the other hand on aged 90+ on ramiprill for nearly 10 years and seems OK, so there seems to be a wide spread of reactions. Next put on to Candersarten and amlodipine. After months noted feet and ankles were swelling so stopped both tablets without going in to the surgery. Feet much better now!

I am now on amlodipine only, but get up and sit in a chair twice very night, so poor sleep patterns. How are you all getting these blood pressure readings - do you have the kit at home to self test? I think the surge of adenaline as we walk into the doctors room can increase BP figures. I was in hospital for something minor a year or too ago and the

BP count dropped quite naturally as I was at rest..

Good luck all!

• Posted

Hi there Heathfield! I am a 65 yr female who retired from a very stressful job in education three years ago.  Whilst working, my blood pressure rose to well over 165/110. Had been on 5 mg Ramipril for some 10 years which was increased to 10 mg but cough dreadful so back to 5 mg and added 5 mg Amlodipine. Since retiring, many holidays, walking, regular exercise at the gym which I have always held dear, less (daily) alcohol, calmer life, my blood pressure began to fall. A very few months ago I took myself off the Amlodopine when it averaged 132/85 as my dentist advised against its calcium blocker effect. My GP didn't bat an eye when I told him. Last week as my blood pressure has consistently fallen to an average of 120/80 I have taken myself off Ramipril as my cough became very troublesome and persistent. My blood pressure remains well below what it used to be and I am thrilled to be free of medication and no cough etc. so yes a change in lifestyle can definitely make a huge difference. Not told my GP yet though! So just go for what's good for you as much as you are able and believe in your judgements. Good luck.
  • Posted

I was taking 5mg ramipril daily for about six years. Since i started ive had 3 episodes of atrial fibrillation. In the last 2-3 weeks, whenever I took a tablet, I'd get a pounding sensation in my chest, rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, shakes and unbearable anxiety

Docs finally told me to stop taking them. Apparently there is no blood pressure rebound from them, although my BP has gone up to around 150/90. Side effects are slightly anxiousness, heavy feeling in my head, dry throat and generally feeling not quite right. I am five days into stopping and feel better than I did last week. I was in and out of hospital for two weeks. I think my body cannot take any more of these drugs.... 

• Posted

I've been on ramipril for 3 years and had my dosage increased from 2.5 mg up to 5 mg with no change in bp pressure, it only resulted in me being unable to achieve a normal erection.I decided to reduce the dosage back to 2.5 against my doctors advice but over a year on I have a lower blood pressure now than when I was on the higher dose. I intend to wean myself off them completely as I don't believe they do anything other than produce a nasty range of side effects and make the pharmaceutical companies lots of money! The doctors scare the life out of you if you request a lower dose, well I'm still alive and kicking and apart from a slight spike in my bp the first week of reducing dosage I had no other problems and I believe it only spiked because of anxiety about the doctors negative warnings.

Eat a healthy diet, reduce salt intake and walk 3 times a week minimum for at least. 30 mins, that's what reduced my bp not the ramipril!!

• Posted

Oh wow I thought my world was coming to an end I really never thought to check side effects and everything you have said is exactly almost verbatim to how I have been these past 6 or so years .right down to the point of fighting off suicidal thoughts .

if this truly is the case My life could come back to me ....I am curr ntly overwhelmed at my lack of common sense to look into alternative ways this life of pain that came out of nowhere ..and overtook me for such an age. Is it possible ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.