Want to quit drinking for good

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been a heavy drinker for about 7 years now, that last year was bad... large bottle of wine almost every day.

Two weeks ago I felt like I had just had enough. I talked to my 4 kids  and have not touched it since.  I want it, but dont want to.At 55 I am too old for this crap..

Would like to chat with others going through the same. 

Take care and good luck to all.

smile

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I have been a drinker for more than 40 yrs and my body is so used to drink that it takes more to give me the desired buzz I crave. I have wanted to give up my life on several occations but couldn't go thru with it. Been to dry-out centres a couple of times. Have had a cousellor for twenty years (going a few times a years, should go more), had a few seizures while trying to sober-up, had one while driving that nearly cost me my life and a close friend...the list goes on.

I have heard about a medication called Nalmefene in the UK but saddly it isn't approved for use here in Canada yet...so I have got a close second med called Naltrexone that is similar but apparently has a few side effects including insomnia and upset tummy.

I will try this line of defence for now hoping that I can still have a social life.

Hope this helps. Keep in touch.

Tim.

• Posted

I did go to the doctor and she gave me lorazapam so far so good

Good luck Time

Sue

• Posted

I went to the doctor she gave me lorazapam   so far so good

Good luck Tim

Sue

• Posted

Sorry, that med sounds scary to me...not too sure what the next step is, I will try Naltrexone, then  re-evaluat it from there.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

To be honest all meds sound scary to me but.... what the alcohol was doing to me was much worse

• Posted

I so admire you for taking the 1st step! Determination to stop this downward spiral  - because it will get that way - is commendable. Tell your kids you will need their support, when at your lowest, and likely to give in - even at the end of a phone they can be there for you xx
  • Posted

HI Sue

Yes, try to stop and gain respect from your children AND you will feel better. Good advice from others below. Let us know how you are coping and keep trying  smile IT IS WORTH IT

• Posted

Well done Sue

You sound very much like myself . You've taken that first step smile Talking to your kids is great too . I stopped for three months a few years ago and after a while felt fantastic . I gradually went back to drinking and now drink a bottle every night of wine definitely although more often now a bottle then a large sherry and then like last night half a larger . I feel terrible every morning . You have given me inspiration today and I'm going to stop . If I get withdrawal symptoms as o know I will then I will just suffer them . Carry on the good work Sue

Take good care x

• Posted

Thank you so much, if like me I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Two weeks in and I dont miss it the first week was very rough, but now I couldnt care aless I just hope it stays that way smile I know I am not over the hurdels but also do not intend to give into them as well.

I have had 3 people in my family die from alcohol and I dont intend to be number 4

Wishing you all the best and good luck

Sue

• Posted

honesty is a good start and best of luck with a better and healthier lifestile...smile
    • Posted

Thank you Robin !

I cut down to three quarters of a bottle with lemonade last night and very proud of myself . Thanks for support . Have good day smile

• Posted

Its great to hear you sounding so positive Sue smile

Its not easy at times is it but then as we all know drink does always blow everything out of proportion if too much is had doesnt it !

Like you really , yes I got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired . Im cutting down today through diluting my wine , then will go onto something like appletise . Im so looking forward to feeling healthier , energetic and looking fresher and brighter !!

Keep happy and positive smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.