Want to quit drinking for good

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been a heavy drinker for about 7 years now, that last year was bad... large bottle of wine almost every day.

Two weeks ago I felt like I had just had enough. I talked to my 4 kids  and have not touched it since.  I want it, but dont want to.At 55 I am too old for this crap..

Would like to chat with others going through the same. 

Take care and good luck to all.

smile

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry but it's almost funny to read "sick and tired of being sick and tired" on here.

I spoke those words myself to my family a few years ago and it stemmed from my inability to walk without feeling like I was about to fall over. I have recently figured out that neurotransmitters in the brain are responsible for motor skills and stability.

WOW...I am now on Campral and it seems to be giving me my step back. This spring I hope to be able to ride my mountain bike again, I've not stable enough.

Yes, I don't like to have to rely on meds but something has to change and this would be ME.

All the best Sue.

• Posted

Hi sue,

Addiction is tough to stop drinking on your own . A support group or a counselor can help you plan and learn your triggers as well as the many meds that can help you thru the cravings. Please speak with your doctor. Help is only a phone call away.

Also havin a plan for relapse and how to work with many other issues. Why do u think u drink? How long? And also how the mind can undermine and sabatoge UR sobriety. 

How important it is to change the things that remind you to drink . Like rewiring UR brain. And that is called behavior modification. A good counselor can help u with all that. Keep a journal, and take it one hour,  one day, one night at a time. UR children will thank you for all UR struggles thru this journey to sobriety. cheesygrin

Kind Regards

HOPE4 CUREconfused

• Posted

The day I decided it was enough I contacted a counselor I start going on the 18th of this month.... until then I just have to be tough and rely on my family. I bought a treadmill so every time my mind thinks booze I jump on it..... seems to help

thank you for your message

smile Sue 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.