Warfarin and cbd oil

Posted , 7 users are following.

i would like to know if it is possible to take cbd oil for anxiety and depression whilst having been prescribed warfarin

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a home INR tester so I test as often as I feel necessary which seems tone every 3-4 days for me as I am vegan and vary my plant based diet. I vary my warfarin or greens as necessary. I can the tester on Amazon and testing strips are about $4 on E-Bay. I report in to a warfarin home testing clinic. I read if you start CBD oil you should test your INR more frequently to see what CBD's  effects are. on it.  It is also recommended you start out with small doses of CBD oil to see how it effects you and increase levels weekly so you have control over the side effects. 

I don't know if your GP or chemist have any experience or can say anything other than do not take it.

• Posted

Just as a follow-up that these people know what they're talking about.  Having surgery, taken a long flight, these things shouldn't cause a clot and, in the vast majority of people, they don't.  One incidence can be written off, but two points to something bigger.  You really should work with a hematologist to get a full panel of bloodwork and see if there is a proper diagnosis to defend taking warfarin long term.

All that said, I've been on warfarin for over 9 years after one incident--a clot in my jugular--brought to light my condition.  I see two different doctors and they sometimes forget the other one exists.  My hematologist treats my thrombophilia and everything related to it while my PCP treats all my regular old aches and pains--which is why my PCP prescribed me CBD oil for my arthritis.

?She, of course, had no idea that it interacted with warfarin and I, naively, didn't look up any interactions in advance of taking it.

?What happened?  Have you ever accidentally taken too much warfarin?  I took the CBD oil in the morning before breakfast and by lunch time it felt like my blood pressure had plummeted.  My head was spinning, I was shivering, and I felt a little delirious, not to mention nauseous.  I was useless to my family, including my two young'uns, for hours as I worried that I was coming down with something.  My husband pointed out that it was the first day I had taken the oil and finally, when I could sit up long enough, I looked online for interactions.  

?So, no, you may not feel you need to be on warfarin anymore--that's something to work with a hematologist on.  And if you need to be on anticoagulation for life you may want to explore other options, such as xarelto or pradaxa, which aren't as restrictive.  But for right now, I strongly recommend steering clear of CBD oil.  The side effects are unpleasant at the least and incapacitating at worst--I seriously couldn't walk.  I just laid on the floor waiting for the spinning to stop!  My best wishes with all of your health concerns!

• Posted

Well that certainly has made me understand i cannot use cbdoil so its a no brainer.

i dont know what you mean when you say i need to see haematologist regarding my provoking symptoms.  I saw professor of anticoagulation four years ago and he just said, two events, no sign of factor V leiden therefore warfarin for life. Dont need to see you again. 

• Posted

I've never heard of a professor of anticoagulation--though I don't doubt that such a thing exists.  What I do know is that, if you're going to be on anticoagulation for the rest of your life, there should be a diagnosis other than just "you clotted twice, so that's it."  I'm guessing the professor did a more complete blood work-up beyond Factor V Leiden, because there are many other thrombophilic factors.  I'm not Factor V Leiden either.  There's also aPL, aCL, SLE, and a whole host of other things that can cause a person to clot.  Find that bloodwork.  Call the professor and ask his/her staff to track down your records.  Have a physical copy sent to you to take to each and every doctor's appointment you go to from here out.  Be your own advocate.

You originally posted because you were looking for a way to treat your anxiety and depression that didn't interact with the warfarin.  This is a question for a hematologist--they deal almost exclusively with blood interactions.  Keep in mind, even if your anxiety is a hindrance in your daily life, your doctor is not going to prioritize it.  They see a history of blood clot and they think, 'if I don't treat this I may have a law suit on my hands.'  Anxiety is not considered life-threatening.  The doctor will always prioritize treating a history of clots over anxiety, if for no other reason than to cover his or her own back.  You have to speak up for yourself and make it known that the anxiety is life-limiting.  But you also need to know your underlying condition when it comes to the clots.  Do not assume that all of the doctors you have seen have access to the same records.  HIPAA requires that they don't without your express written permission.  You have to carry that information with you, either in written documentation or in your head, because it is YOUR life they are fiddling with--your blood and brain chemistry. 

Sorry, that got a bit ranty, but I've had to be my own medical advocate for decades and know just how important it is to keep track of all this.  I also know how crippling anxiety and depression can be.  I want to see you able to get help, and as soon as possible. I come back to--call a hematologist/the professor and find out exactly what is going on with your blood condition and then make it clear that you need treatment for anxiety and depression.  Treating one need not mean ignoring the other, but you are the one who ultimately has to make sure that happens and you can do it.

• Posted

Well i shall ask at my next anticoagulant clinic and my gp about my oroginal diagnosis as i was only told two clots and youre on it.  I will ask about things which were not discussed aPL, aCL, SLE as you suggest.

it does seem to be an area which there is not much patient conversation which i find annoying.  Its as if they know best and we dont get any say.  I was frightened into thinking after thr pulmonary embolisms that i had no choice or it was instant death. But no explanation.  Some of us respect our bodies and would like mkre information and thats what im now going to ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.