Warm compresses and too much oil in tear film

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have mgd. Question,if some of us have tear film that is already too thick,how will the compresses and draining of the fliuds help. With me,the compresses make my vision more blurred as it increases flow of the oil glands? I am new to this. Whats your experiance? My eyes just feel gooey and my vision gets cloudier. Not a happy camper here.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is the aim of the hot compressers.. to clear out your glands and get the oils flowing so you don't get dry eye.
    • Posted

I know but ny vision is worse,i can feel the oil and its blurred.
    • Posted

Try rising Out your eyes with eye drops after you have finished the compressers
    • Posted

I did a dry compress about 10 yesterday and expressed some of the oil with my finger along each lid,then about 2 took a very hot shower and after expressed the oil again. Later went to my sons and all night had blur and felt uncomfortable. I did do the eye drops. Today i dont know if i should give the compress a break as my eyes still are filmy.
    • Posted

Ive not really that before to be honest, a little bit of blur straight after but not hours later. I'm sure theres some peeps on here who can help as every body's symptoms are different.. what are your actual symptoms you where getting to be diagnosed with mgd?
    • Posted

Hazy blurred vision. Some discomfort. I went in and she said my upper lids oil secretions were slightly thick. Try warm compresses 3 times a day,3 fish oil capsules a day and artificial tears 3 times a day. She never mentioned the lid massage. I found that on the web and the nurse knows im doing it as i called them. I had some brief periods of crystal clear vision yesterday then went downhill from there. Thank you for your replies.
  • Posted

I like the compresses.  They feel good, but I still can not express any oil out afterward.

• Posted

Can I use warm compress only 1 or 2 times a day and still be effective?

Also, is this lifelong treatment? Meaning....have to do use warm compress for rest of the life? (I have terrible blepharitis)

• Posted

Thats what ive been doing. Once or twice she told me 3 times. My oil must be pretty thick as my vision gets cloudy or slightly hazy for a number of hours after doing it. That part i hate. I see the doctor again wed for more info. This is new to me.
    • Posted

What did your doc tell you. I have mgd and it causes dry eye. I must have had the mgd for some years before as i noticed my eye lashes were thinning. My vision started getting hazy and blur . Then the dry eye symptoms started so i asked to be tested for dry eye. I hope my doc know what shes doing.
    • Posted

My doctor gave me some ointment, but didn't work.

Also something called doxycycline hyclate, doctor prescribed me but my insurance didn't cover it so couldn't get it.

He also says take warm shower and try using baby shampoo.

My blepharitis has been a curse to me.  I lost some vision due to it and can't read papers anymore. If I read a paper for more than 10-15 seconds my eyes get red and watery and irritating.

Watching screen and light is lot easier as white background helps me read better. 

My life has been completely miserable ever since I got blepharitis and I don't know how I can have a job with my eye conditions.

Right now I'm just making excuse saying that I'll study radiology in September in college but that's not gonna happen due to my eyes.

I'm just staying home right now and I just don't see me doing anything in outside society normally with my eyes.

• Posted

Heres what i was told. Mind you,so far my lids havnt been bad but my glands that line the lids cause my gland disfunction. Dont know exactly what youve been told about what you have. Warm compresses 3 times per day. 3 -1000 mg fish oil supplements per day. Plus artificial tears. I have a few other eye issues also. I am so sorry you are going through so much,i dont think people not affected know how this affects a person.The compresses are very warm but not too hot. Test how it feels on tour wrist. I was told by a nurse five minutes. Then i take a wet q tip and wipe the lash line off and wash off my lids. After which i use some lubricateing eye drops to help rinse out an oil debri. She told me refresh optive eye drops. They are kind of thick. I use them sometimes but use refresh tears more. Eye drops that dont have preservatives are recomended the most. Have to try different ones. I believe systane balance is for mgd. I havnt tryed it yet. I hope you can find treatments that work. The meds by prescription are outlandishly priced.i doubt i can afford most either. Restasis is unbelievable.
    • Posted

The fish oil is supposed to help with inflamation and dry eyes. Not supposed to really kick in for 1-3months. Must be pretty valid as its also all over the internet.
    • Posted

Yeah I'm taking fish oil right now also. Also using baby shampoo sometimes and have been using coconut oil but coconut oil doesn't seem to work at all.

Right now I'm trying to avoid sugar and meat much as possible so eat mostly fish, rice, and vegetable, eggs. (I read on this forum that someone cured his by avoiding sugar and meat)

I have some things to ask you.

Have you tried honey? There's an article on dailymail that a man cured his blepharitis using honey.

Also is warm compress effective?

Also lastly, did your blepharitis make your vision worse? Because my blepharitis made my vision pretty. My doctor said vision will come back once my eyes get treated better, but no matter what my lost visions don't seem to come back.

Im also on a bad situation that my parents don't know at I have blepharitis. I can't dare say that I have blepharitis to my parents because then they will just say that it's because I use computer too much and things are gonna get really bad. Do you also think watching screen for too long has to do this blepharitis?

• Posted

I went in originally because my vision was blurry on and off and sometimes looks hazy. Really bothers me. No havnt tryed the honey. I took Manuka honey when i had a bad stomach issue. Supposed to be antibactrrial. I dont know about eyes though.The jury is out on the warm compresses,although after the unitial oily blur..probably from the pores (glands openingsl)the haziness has been better. I suppose the computers caus irritation caus of eye strain.
    • Posted

When you use the computer alot the main thing is to blink frequently. People tend to not blink much when useing a computer.
    • Posted

Thanks for the answers.

I do use computer for long time, so I was wondering if blepharitis can actually be caused by too much compute use.  My doctor says that it has nothing to do with computer usage and I can use computer however I want.

• Posted

Hes right,it doesnt caus it. It actually is often hereditary.
    • Posted

Well none of my family has blepharitis.

So for me, don't think it's blepharitis.  Although I really have weak body.

Is yours hereditary?

I really don't know how I'm gonna explain when my parents find out I have blepharitis.  They will blame it on using computer too much no matter what.

• Posted

I remember my mom complaing of dry eyes but other then that,cant think of anyone. I read the heredtary thing on the net. I just posted a new topic about a type of mite that actually causes it. Doctors can look for it and its treated different. Something to look into. Dont worry about telling your parents. If you have to,have them call the doctor and he can explain it. Even his nurse can do that. Actually the mgd is probably the heredtary part of the equation.
    • Posted

Thanks for the ideas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.