warning about stomache enzymes

Posted , 10 users are following.

I just wanted to put a bit of a warning out there about the use of stomache enzymes. I had read a lot of good things about them and decided to bypass my G.P. and take them myself. I have had stomache problems over the last year and have taken a medley of drugs, some from the Doctor. Nothing has really solved my problem. My indigestion so bad that I was getting pains in my chest. So, I purchased some stomache enzymes from Jarrow, a well respected company. Within hours, I felt so nauseaous and had pain in my stomache, much worse than I had before. I am sure that these pills work for some people but just feel its not worth self-medicating. My reason for self-medicating has been a dislike of going backwards and forwards to the Doctors, and its good to look for alternative, more healthy options.  I am at present, seeing a homeopathic doctor, and he has helped wonders!!

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What did the homeopath advise?
    • Posted

Don't listen matt.  If you have reflux etc go get a juicer and take carot apple and celery juice twice a day.  With a course of ppis and gaviscon advance. Guarantee in 2 weeks you will feel a lot better. Digestive enzymes are no problem. And relax once a day for 20mins with relaxed breathing.
    • Posted

Already got the juicer, just finishing triple therapy at the moment and feeling awful.  After that Ill be on the probiotics, Zinc, Licorice and juices
    • Posted

The homeopathic doctor gave me some pills, but I dont know what was in them. Up to now, they have helped. Forget the gaviscon!!
    • Posted

Gaviscon is the worst thing once can ever use. I began to use it, after my night meal, in the beginning I felt some relieve but after some time I got an intense pain in my chest that lasted until next day. I thought that the pain was caused by the food so I tried gaviscon again at night after my meal and the same happened. I stopped taking it and feel much better without it
    • Posted

Taking pills you dont know what's in them???? Ask professor detmarr in hull about gaviscon??? Again another unfounded observation
    • Posted

After triple therapy I had stomach problems for six months.
    • Posted

Look, we are all different and you have to go with whatever works, or doesn't work for you. Lets just say gaviscon didnt work for me. If it works for you happy days!
  • Posted

There is nothing wrong with digestive enzymes.  Why do people constantly come on forums saying don't take this or be careful with that.  Too many people are becoming self obsessed with the fact they can't find whatis causing there reflux etc.  It is lifestyle diet stress. That is the reason. End of.  PPI,s healthy diet, don't smoke or drink too much and exercise or lose weight if you are obese.  It becomes an obsession with people and the reflux symptoms will feed off of the obsession.  It can be beaten as I have beaten it so anyone worrying about lpr or reflux, stop worrying and make changes.  The people that won't beat it are the people who won't take responsibility.  The body can heal itself if you help it.
    • Posted

I of course am only commenting on how they made me feel. I did say that I had read good things about them for other people. This is the first time I have been on a forum, so am hardly "constantly" on it! Chill out man. I am not obsessed, just keen to help some other poor sap.
    • Posted

Ok so I've had reflux for over 30 yrs I'm not overweight take regular excersise have a good diet never smoked drink socially not someone who stresses easily and I've got worse over the yrs I've recently had LINX and I'm now 100% due to surgery nothibf else. My body didn't heal itself surgery and medical science did for which I'm eternally grateful   I was on ppi s for many yrs but after over 20 yrs on them they became ineffective   Oh yes I have taken responsibility too.  Trust in doctors trust in their knowledge and by science and research were blessed with such people   Ok lead a healthy lifestyle don't smoke all things in moderation and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who live a long abd healthy life.   It's an odds game but we can increase those odds by living a healthy life sometimes 
    • Posted

Well tyler I have to say, that in part you are right, it is stress, diet,lifestyle. I've been fighting a gastritis for months, and changed my diet and lifestyle completely, no smoke, zero alcohol,cafein, chocolate,fatty food, no acidic foods, dairy, refined sugars or wheat. I even began Yoga and meditation. However I didn't heal completely, which is quite frustrating. Recently it got worse.  Thanks to this forums I just found out for instance that my healthy diet and life style haven't work; because I've been including in my diet foods that I thought were helpful or harmless like aloe vera, ginger, drinking tap water. Once I read about this in the forums and stopped taking them and began to drink alkaline water, I just tried the water this morning and at once I began to feel much much better. I would have never figure it out by myself, it is just water! I find good that people tell their experiences in this forums, it is up to the readers to decide whether they follow the advices or not.
    • Posted

Glad your feeling better! Kind sounds interesting.  My comments were generalising and more often than not it is down to certain factors.  I am making the point that people need to believe in themselves and their body more.  The people that look after themselves and still have problems was not the profile I was aiming at.  Also I thought I wasn't a stressed person by subconsciously I was.  People don't help themselves enough and admit their shortcomings. If you smoke quit, if you drink a lot stop, if you eat crap then don't.  If you are overweight then exercise.  If you think it could be stress take up relaxation techniques.  
    • Posted

It must be terrible to have reflux for that long. I dont know why there is not more research done. Doctors dont seem to know how to heal it. They just treat the symptoms. it seems that even with a healthy lifesttyle, this is a real problem.
    • Posted

That's cool, I am on alkaline as well.  The problem is one person will say enzymes are bad for her, but let's be honest 99per cent of people don't have a problem with them.  There is always someone out there saying this has made me sick etc etc.  Forums can be god and bad.
    • Posted

God bless alkaline! believe me I felt so much relieve after the first sip that I feel that this is the best day of my life!
    • Posted

Gosh, "it's lifestyle and stress. That's the reason. End of". Crikey Tyler, this is a totally incorrect sweeping statement. Sometimes reflux is down to a purely mechanical problem - the lower oesophageal sphincter not closing properly. You can be the slimmest, fittest, non-smoking teetotaller but if your sphincter doesn't close, it doesn't close. There is hope with this new Lynx system for those lucky enough to qualify for it.
    • Posted

Hi I'm in total agreement 100% accurate! read my post to Tyler and you wil see.     I'm lucky to have had the new LINX procedure and I'm totally and utterly 100% fixed. I'm still the same person so this proves it's a medical and not a lifestyle condition......end of.,! (As Tyler might say)
    • Posted

Hello - I was wondering how are you doing on your linx still? Any problems. Are you much better?

I now think I may have had some LPR for a while, but one day after eating huge pizzan in the evening had little heartburn the next day. Never had these so did nothing about it. Became bad in the evening bought Gaviscon. Next day sore throat, difficulty swallowing and heartburn, took 2 more doses of Gaviscon and on advice of friend went to evening GP. Was given omezaprole - 6 days later doubled, 4 weeks later lanzaprazole double doze 2x per day, 2 weeks later raniditine and domperidine.... Crazy. Tried to come off once, but had lots of pain 3-4th day....So although only short term sufferer really keen to hear about linx. Having endoscopy (2nd one next week) - had one in Prague as emergency (shown gastrtis - caused by iritiation - food, alcohol - not, ibuprofen - not)...How did you go about being referrend for Linx in the UK?

• Posted

Hi I'm 10 months on post linx I'm loving it symptom free mess free too

I was referred by my gp and had a series or tests then I was told I was appropriate for linx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.