warning about stomache enzymes

Posted , 10 users are following.

I just wanted to put a bit of a warning out there about the use of stomache enzymes. I had read a lot of good things about them and decided to bypass my G.P. and take them myself. I have had stomache problems over the last year and have taken a medley of drugs, some from the Doctor. Nothing has really solved my problem. My indigestion so bad that I was getting pains in my chest. So, I purchased some stomache enzymes from Jarrow, a well respected company. Within hours, I felt so nauseaous and had pain in my stomache, much worse than I had before. I am sure that these pills work for some people but just feel its not worth self-medicating. My reason for self-medicating has been a dislike of going backwards and forwards to the Doctors, and its good to look for alternative, more healthy options.  I am at present, seeing a homeopathic doctor, and he has helped wonders!!

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What did your homeopath prescrbe?
    • Posted

As mentioned before, I dont know what is in them. But, no shock horror there!! Homeopathic doctors dont prescribe anything that is going to harm you. What they give you encourages your body to heal itself. I have heard people say that its all just a placebo, but every time over the last year I have been to the doctors or bought over the counter medication for my stomach, I always thought it would do me good. I dont know why I didnt go and see him before as he has treated me successfully over the years for other things. Think I am still in the mind-set that conventional doctors know best. Obviously, you have to find a registered homeopathic doctor.
    • Posted

I first went to a homeopath/Doctor in 1984. He cured my then stomach problems with rthe two remedies he prescribed. It was about seven years before they returned.
    • Posted

You have to be careful what homeopathic medicine you take. You are wrong saying they don't prescribe anything that is going to harm you. St John's Wort, for example, is not harmless taken with prescription anti-depressant drugs. Homeopaths are not harmless - don't take something blindly at least check it out. Also, if you see a registered homeopathic doctor then at least ask to see proof of their 
  • Posted

It's a known fact that as we age we produce less stomach acid. I'm 70 had bloating and reflux. Doctors put me on ppi's. I got a whole lot worse. I found out about low stomach acid. Baught some digestive enzymes with betaine hcl (stomach acid). They worked immediately. I've been on them for about 5 years. I found out that the bloating can force bile back into the stomach where it reacts with gastric juices to produce lots of gas. If I forget my enzymes when I get the bile reflux I take a Zantac and eat2 dry cream crackers. This stops the reaction within about 15 min. The digestive enzymes help to digest the food and sterilise it preventing bloating.
    • Posted

I am glad they worked for you. I think I have too much stomach acid. Praps thats why the enzymes didnt work for me.
    • Posted

hello what digestive enzymes did you buy?

• Posted

Nice to see you got some help from your homeopath. I think they have a degree of freedom to explore natural healing unlike our gp's who have to adhere to strict guidelines.
  • Posted

I try homeopathic remedies and I get sick of oesofagitis. 
  • Posted

I know this is already an old post. Just want to add up some information about taking enzymes. I think it's best to consult with your doctor before taking any supplements or medication just to be on the safe side. I've taken digestive enzymes and while some enzymes work for many people, no supplement unfortunately has a 100% success rate and this product is no exception. The generally accepted explanation for this is that everyone is different and has a unique physiology, and many factors like pre-existing health conditions, lifestyle, environment, other medications already being taken etc can also come into play to determine efficacy. In my case of experiencing bloating and gas, Ultimate Digestive Enzymes from Natural Goal worked best for me. After taking it for a while I have noticed a decrease in bloating until it was totally gone. Worth a try, but I suggest you consult with your doctor first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.