Was anybody elses mono experience like this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

It all started a little over a month ago; a low grade fever, body aches and pains, chills, and severe nausea. At first, I thought I was getting the flu, so I continued with my everyday activities and then some, which ended up making everything worse. About two and a half weeks later, I felt no improvement, so I headed to the nearest urgent care and the mono test came back positive.

Now on week 6, I have good and bad days. Some days I feel better, so I start to do things and as soon as I get back from doing whatever I was doing, boom, I feel like I am getting sick all over again. The latest episode happened about two days ago after I went grocery shopping, got my car serviced, and washed my car. Since that day, I have been feeling more tired than ever and my body aches really bad. Did anyone else have an experience where your symptoms would get better then worse and better again. Just as I thought I was getting better, I started to feel horrible again. It's so hard to be sick when I'm a full time college student and am getting ready for final exams. I've lost all hope of getting better.

0 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Madison, sorry to hear you're feeling unwell. Unfortunately this is a common symptom of this virus. It is described as a zig zag recovery process. The actual recovery time for this virus is different for everyone. It can be a month, 2 months, 3 months or which you probably don't want to hear, but better to be told the truth it can last upto a year or worse case a couple of years. I'm just under the 9 month mark and I'm still on this zig zag Or as I explain to my doctor I feel like I'm on a run away train. The important thing is to take it easy as much as possible and try not to let it get you down. Easier said than done I know, but any bad spell you have, will disappear. Why the body behaves like this I do not know. My guess and I'm no medical expert is when you are feeling down, it will be your body fighting off the virus and using the energy you do have...hence the feeling terrible, as it can be exhausting both physically and mentally. when you do start to feel some recovery, try to make sure you still pace yourself.

• Posted

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience. It seems to make things a little better knowing that I'm not the only one feeling this way. It definitely sucks when one week I feel almost back to normal, then boom, I'm back with the fatigue and body aches. It is like a never ending cycle, and being a full time college student on top of that does not help at all. I hope that sooner or later we both feel 100% again, because I sure have forgotten what that feels like.

• Posted

Also, any advice on how I should push throw these last 3 weeks of the semester? It's too late to take a medical leave because I am so close to being done and I cannot miss any more classes. I only have one class every day Mon-Thurs.

• Posted

Hi Madison,

Sorry to hear that you've been going through mono this past 6 weeks, I really do empathise having been through the illness myself a number of years ago. And I do want to reassure that what you're going through is very common and normal for mono and that you will get better from it. It is an awful virus to go through and I remember how wiped out and exhausted I was feeling after 6 weeks, it was terrible and I had to be off work for a while with it until I recovered.

It's so hard that this has hit at times when exams are coming up, as this virus really needs rest and to try to remove as much stress for a while as possible as you recover. If you need to take time out please do that Madison, I know it is so hard to do that when dealing with exams but definitely put your health first and get as much rest as you can and if that means taking a step back for a while then do that even though I know it's not easy to do that.

Oh remember there is hope Madison, this month can take a few months for sure to get over but you will get over it - and it can be very up and down the recovery phase, where you can feel a little better at one point and then it can feel worse again - that's why rest is so important and not overdoing things, even when feeling a little better. Taking vitamins and herbs helped me a lot during recovery, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), a B complex vitamin (great for nervous system and energy levels) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinacea and oregano can all be great and help boost your immune system to cope better at this time.

Hang in there Madison - thinking about you as I remember how horrible and scared I was when I went through it also in my 20s -and please know that it will get better, it just takes time and this is normal - but in no way does it mean that you won't recover - it's sometimes hard to see or feel that when going through it but definitely it does get better and you will get there!! Just be kind to yourself right now and as I say rest as much as you can and try to remove as much stress as possible. This is not the kind of virus like a normal cold or flu that you can just 'push through', if you do that it can just prolong things and it needs proper respect and time just to allow your body to recover - and it definitely will!

Thinking about you and just cope with getting through each day in this intense phase of the virus and know that your body resilience will return with a little time - take care of yourself Madison and do keep in touch let us know how you are doing over the next few weeks.

Craig

• Posted

Hi there Craig,

This illness is definitely worse than the way doctors explain it. I thought I was starting to feel somewhat back to normal again, then boom, back to step 1. I hope that I make a full recovery soon, because I don't know how much longer I can handle feeling like this, especially knowing that my final exams are coming up in three weeks! Ahh! It's all too much.

• Posted

Hi Madison,

Oh it really is a horrible virus and experience to go through, definitely agreeing with that, it drains you so much the physical and mental side of it all. You definitely will get better Madison, I truly believe that given my own experience and reading the recovery stories of many others - so although it's so hard I know try not to panic that things are not great at the moment - this is by far the worst phase you are going through right now, and the intensity certain will lessen and you will reach full recovery - I really do believe that and remember look after yourself and get as much rest as you can.

Stress is definitely a factor very much connected to the virus, the virus came for me after quite a stressful few months and the stress you've been under with exams certainly can trigger this thing to feel very intense indeed. In terms of getting through next few weeks, try to take the approach of not 'pushing through', rather just managing each day as best as possible and if you do have to go into a class or do some work, try to get rest before and after it too, make sure reserving energy as much as possible and also doing something relaxing too that doesn't take too much stress, be it just watching fav tv show, having bath, reading, napping - whatever you find works for you. And also if you can talk to someone you trust, a close family member or friend, and what you're going through and how you're feeling - it can help so much and just not to have to deal with this thing alone makes a difference. And remember you're not on your own anyway as God is there, He knows the bigger picture and I believe is going to get you through this and get you well again Madison - hang in there.

Once these exams are over Madison - definitely then take extended rest, take a step back for a while if you can and just allow your body that complete time to be stress free and recover. You will get there you really will - it's an awful and scary thing to go through but it does get better Madison and doesn't last forever - thinking about you and just take it one day at a time.

Craig

• Posted

Craig,

Thank you for your kind words! It really helps a lot. I am taking each day at a time, some days being better than others, but that's just how this darn virus is. I will keep you updated on my recovery.

• Posted

Also, quick question,

When you had mono, did you ever have days where you would have a low grade fever and others when you didn't?

I'm really starting to freak out about this and I can't stop obsessing over the fact that I might have lymphoma!

• Posted

Hi Madison,

The low grade fever, along with the fatigue and generally feeling unwell, were the things that really I found the most debilitating and hard to cope with physically during the virus. And yes absolutely there were days where the low grade fever felt worse than others - stress can definitely be a factor in this so when I had more time to think or worry or was feeling worse, it seemed like a cycle where that got worse too, and sometimes even though it sounds strange it could be worse the day or two after I had done something more strenuous even though I was resting - it seems to sometimes catch up on you afterwards as well which I found so frustrating.

I absolutely want to reassure you that this is normal Madison, I had the same fears and worries when started reading online and the word lymphoma comes up and it sends your mind into all sorts of panic. But please be assured that what you describe sounds very very normal for mono to me, and that the vast vast majority of people with mono go through a tough time with it often for weeks and months but do make a complete and full recovery - remember it's only the tiny tiny percentage of scare stories that get posted online and the vast vast majority of people who get well again you never hear their stories.

It's so hard not to worry about these things Madison, but truly I believe from what you describe that what are going through is mono and nothing more sinister - of course it's always worth checking in with doc and talking to them if worried and hopefully they can offer reassurance too regarding this - but remember mono just takes time sometimes unfortunately but it does get better and you will get better - and absolutely take it one day at a time and remember don't put extra stress on yourself with these exams, just do what you can and remember your health is most important. Thinking of you and do let us know how things are going over the next few weeks - keep in touch and message any time!

Craig

• Posted

Also Madison - something to keep in mind if ever worrying about EBV causing any other illness - it is a fact that 90%+ of the western world get infected with EBV (virus which causes mono) at some stage in their lives, many as children when they don't feel the full effects of the illness like an adult, but that the overwhelmingly vast majority of these 90% get well again and don't develop any other kind of illness - so keep that in mind that it is very very very rare and unlikely for anything else to occur - not that it makes it any easier to cope with mono which is awful to deal with in itself - but it does get better and you will make a full recovery with time I truly believe that. Trusting God with that!

Craig

• Posted

A little update

It's now two days later and I have bought some wellness shots from Whole Foods which have seemed to help a lot!

But, unfortunately, I now have a horrible stomach ache that I first had when I came down with mono! 😦

Hopefully this will pass without all of the nasty symptoms coming back.

• Posted

Hi Madison,

Oh I do hope that your stomach ache settles down and proves to be minor and very short term thing, hoping that the wellness shots are making a difference too, just remember to be careful to check the contents of any supplements for interactions with any other medications / health conditions / etc.

Still thinking about you and remember you will get through this - you will get better fully Madison with time, and just hang in there take things slowly and be kind to yourself, allow your body space and time to recovery and reduce stress as much as possible (hard as it is as this virus causes stress in itself!). Hoping for a better day today and keeping trusting that God is there and wants us all well and is the great healer!

Craig

• Posted

yes they do an immune boost kick also its a liquid and is pretty good . we have to boost our immune systems as much as possible during this time .

• Posted

Craig,

I was reading a few of the forum posts and it says that the older you are, the longer it takes to get rid of this virus. I'm only 19 years old and I've had this virus for almost two months now! Does this sound abnormal to you?

• Posted

Hi Madison,

Oh absolutely in no way does this sound abnormal, I was 25 when I got the virus, a few years older than you but still young and it took me a number of months for sure. Although for sure it is an advantage being younger and your body definitely will bounce back stronger I do believe, remember this is still a horrible virus and it takes time to get over - I've read stories of many teenagers going through such a hard time with this over a period of months and then go on to make a full recovery and be completely better.

I know it's so hard for sure but definitely try not to worry, often with this thing it is a time factor and just takes time, I know that's not a great comfort when dealing with it every day but definitely take heart and encouragement from the fact that what you're going through is classic for mono and that you will get better, even if it takes a little time don't panic because full recovery will come Madison - I truly believe that given my own recovery experience (thanks to God only) and reading the recovery experiences of many other people of a similar age to you.

Take care and remember rest up and take things at a slow and steady pace right now - really important to look after yourself right now! Thinking of you and message any time, do keep in touch and remember you WILL get through this and get FULLY better!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.