Was due to have a total hip replacement and cancelled due to anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Was due to have a total hip replacement and cancelled due to anxiety 2weeks prior to date.

the anxiety condition I developed is general anxiety it has changed every aspect of my life and is terrible everything is a major worry. Problem is my hip is deteriorating fast and so is the other one , I have been looking at the anterior approach and this seems easier for recovery which has been my dread does anyone know of a good surgeon in  Manchester England  using this approaching.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

dear mary, 

How are you doing?     You are certainly not the only one who has anxiety problems before this surgery ... 

did you get some anti-anxiety medication?   Right before my 2nd THR surgery I totally flipped   and felt  almost paralyzed - got  some medication and that helped -

I hope you contacted Kirsty -what a generous offer ...

what exactly makes you so anxious about the recovery?  

Do you have help at home ?

Would going to a rehab center if it would help you with anxiety?

you are not alone - 

come back here any time you need to,okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Renee,

i did try medication but made me ill, I do have very willing help at home it's just the thought of being trapped inside and having to rely on others it scares the hell out of me I need to be out in the fresh air , I have developed all sorts of phobias and life is frightening right now but I do hope to get there with help one day . Thanks for your words.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I was dreading the thought of being stuck inside following my hip op, but it doesn't have to be like that. Had mine last July, it was very hot. I was out of hospital on day 2, and sitting outside, and going for short walks every day. It was loads better than I expected. I hope that you can overcome your anxieties, and get your op done. Good luck, Judith.

• Posted

Hi Mary, 

I had my op on Tuesday, I was feeling extremely anxious and sick to the stomach, but when I came round from the op I felt ok, I didn't feel any pain and when I did start getting aches they weren't as bad as I expected, I came home on Thursday and yesterday sat in my garden for half an hour in the sunshine, it is amazing how quickly mobility comes back with each day, and yes I am frustrated at not being able to do much but every day I am finding I am achieving something new, and I feel proud of myself that despite all my fears and anxieties I have done this, it is true what everyone says its never as bad as you imagine it to be. 

How are you getting on Mary with your CBT sessions? 

I hope you are doing well I am thinking of you.

Lulu

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.