Was in a car accident and broke my ankle and tibula

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago. They tried to reset my ankle twice and then ended up having to put an external fixator on to decrease swelling. Last monday i got screws and plates put in. I was told 8-10 weeks till i can start walking. They told me there is one screw they want to take out before i start walking. I have a long way to go and i am feeling so worried about if ill ever be able to walk again. At this point feels so far away. I have really bad anxiety and im more worried about the feelings when i get to start to walk and what it all feels like. If anyone can talk that would be great. Feel so alone sometimes.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello , so sorry about your injury I hope u will get better soon and don't worry  I am 5 days post surgery I had trimalleolar fracture they put three scrows and one wire inside my ankle I am in back slap cast  they will remove it next week 

• Posted

Please don't worry it does heal but takes time! I felt the same way and could not imagine walking again! I am walking with shoes now after 14 weeks but still have a limp. Stay on this blog I found so much comfort in reading everyone's experience! You are never alone and I promise you it does get better - hang in there xxxxxxx

• Posted

Thank you so much. I love hearing everyones stories it helps a lot.
  • Posted

Do not worry it is just time . Everyone has different healing times . I had 2 plates and  3 screws . I had one taken out after 8 weeks local anaesthetic. Didn't feel a thing then 3 stitches  . Could weight bear after that .with crutches . very sore to begin with and pain killers .

You will need physio to help but I'm 18 weeks and just starting to walk without crutches . It still hurts but no pain killers now this last week everything just got better . 

You will walk again but it takes time . Very disheartening at first but you will get there . God luck 🙏

• Posted

Thank you for responding. It just feels nice to be able to talk to other that went through the same thing as me. Been discouraged about everything. I cant wait to be able to take my first step. Trying to take it one day at a time.
    • Posted

It is frustrating not being able to carry stuff and be reliant on others once you get your independence back it is a great boost I started to drive again approx  12 or 13 weeks  still had crutches but what a change . Hang in there it may look bleak now but you will get better .
    • Posted

Right now im just having a hard time not being bored cuz i cant do much and i just sit on couch most of the day. I wont be driving for a long time as have to get a new car.
    • Posted

I'm sorry you've had to find this page but you will be glad you did. I'm 5 months (25/3/17  post break and surgery pins plate. back at work this week. Just did 3 days. Still hurts and memories of futility still vivid. I was unable to use crutches when plastered and the frames were a joke. We got a wheelchair and got hubby to organise me for independence. Microwave on coffee table jug of water coffee tea crackers. I was lucky we have a bar fridge I use for work, Hubby got me a shower chair and a disgusting but much needed commode. Broken leg and hurry to toilet not a great idea. But having meant chair I was able to empty the thing. He put all my wearable clothing and requirements reachable in bathroom. Having some independence was vital. I think hubby wanted to break my other leg in first week but by second week knew how much I never had rely on him for.  So setting up self help was vital for me and for him  My dining room became my recovery room. And for me it worked. I think I needed to plan to be on my own in case anything happened to him and I sleep very little and he thinks 9 hours sleep is a nap.  Planning on how to do for myself kept mind going. Have also watched every renovation show on catch up tv I watched one episode of kardasions won't go there again. Watch dr Phil twice. Don't need to do that again. There is a light at the end of tunnel.  Try to focus on what you CAN do. Mental attitude with this injury is huge. And I'd look at organising your Even Up Shoe if you get put in a boot. When you walk try to walk tall and level straight. Go slow. As you will see on old posts falling over is common. Take care. Xxxwishing you good recovery. Jen 

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear about your accident. I know where your coming from, it's hard work. I feel down and lonely, and wondered at first if I would every get on my feet. Plate and screws both sides with a bad dislocation from such a little fall. I'm 19weeks on Tuesday, now walking well limping g badly, can JUST get normal shoes on but find it more comfy in dappers /pumps. As they are soft. Still got pain and little swelling but no where near as much as it was. You will get there but please be truthful with yourself as it's not going to be for a long g while yet. We are all different and heal at different rates. Hang on in there and keep posting, there will always be someone here to try and help with any worries. Chin up. Sx

• Posted

Thanks. Ya im gonna continue to post my experience and questions. This forum has helped a lot with just being comfortable with myself and not feeling alone which feels like more of a barrier then the physical one.
    • Posted

Totally agree with you about feeling alone. Had quite a few visits from friends and family in the early days, but seems that since I'm up and doing little bits for myself, I now see No one!! The feeling of loneliness is horrid, most days don't even get a txt or call from anyone, then it's time for this forum, just to vent my thoughts and chat to others going through the same. Always feel little better afterwards. We WILL. Get there. 😊. Sx

• Posted

Ok so its day 6 after my surgery. Im guessing its the stitches that are itching me but its driving me crazy. i cant get comfortable no matter what cuz of this itching. Anyone else experience this?
    • Posted

Ooooo yes itching, how I remember that. Couldn't do much to stop mine, but did try my hair dryer on cold with the nozzle dwn the top of the plaster. Plus a little tug on the lining. Not good these past 2 days, today my discomfort has Eased a bit on the ankle, but now my knee has gone wild with pain. Withing to go in for operation!! Not happy but need it done. Same leg so will be back on crutches for a while. 😔 😔. Don't know how long it will be before I see consultant, but physio will be referring me. I'm on the list already and was due to go for pre op but had my fall so it was put on hold. Hope the itching don't last too long. Sx

• Posted

I had a fall 4yrs ago. Where I fell on my knee. Few mths dwn the line my knee started to give way and was very painful. Went to AnE. Had xrays got told torn ligurment and bone wear. Waited 2yrz for appt, had my pre op then had to wait for date. I had my letter the day of my fall where my shattered and dislocated my ankle, all because of my knee!! So knee op has been put on hold. Where I've been walking differently I've twisted the knee so now really painful. Funny ankle is finally getting pain free and the bloody knee starts!!! 😢 😢. So here we go again.. Back with the crutches. Waiting for dates... Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.