Wasted 20's hypothyroidism?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well hello guys! i came from philippines and i am a 21 yr old male, and just wanna share the hellish tunnel that i've been through and still going through. My symptom started when i ate a meat soup then suddenly i feel weak and have numb feeling in my arms, then the symptoms countinued and worsen, i feel weak right now at this very moment, i feel kinda numb heavy feeling all over my body and the annoying tingiling sensation, always have anxiety attacks and depression, always tired, overall fatiuge and insomnia and frequently dizzy. I clearly suspect that i am a hypo cos i have a somekind of lump in my neck and always have a low body temp. Oh guys im just too young for this and it ruin my life. Can anyone help me and gave some natural remedies? Thanks guys lovelots! smile

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Zach and welcome!  I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering so much right now.  You need to address this situation to your doctor.  Yes..  symptoms of hypothyroidism are low body temp, fatigue, constipation, slow heart rate, hair loss, weight gain among others.  The lump in your neck may possibly be a goiter or a nodule.  Your thyroid is located just under your adams apple but above your clavicle bone.  If that is where you feel your lump then it is the thyroid.  You say that this all started when you ate meat?  I have read that one of the possible cause of hypothyroidism is a parasite infection.  It is a more rarer cause but possible.  Being you have not been feeling good since eating this meat you should have your doctor check you for for parasites which I believe is done through a stool test.  It may be that it's just the parasite making you sick or the fact that a parasite infection can cause hypothyroidism.  Or It can be something unrelated.  Who knows.  I'm  leaning towards parasites being this came on all the sudden?  Please see your doctor.  Only he can know for sure and test you for all the possibilites of what may be going on.  I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in soon to help you more that I can.  Good luck Zach...
    • Posted

thanks of the reply melissa, ive been throrugh many doctors and they cant find nothing! they test ECG Blood and urine test it shows that i have low potassium but i definitely do not believe that one is the root cause. Today i am feeling very weak even i sleep 8hrs oh shoot! I'll be updating my condtion.Thanks smile
    • Posted

CORRECTION...  Parasite infection is a rarer cause of Hashimoto's which is the number 1 cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries.  Hashimoto's is an auto immune disease in which your body mistakins your thyroid as an invader and destroys it, which can lead to hypothyroidism or some cases hyperthyroidism.
  • Posted

Hi zach,

Whilst it does seem you may have hypo symptoms, I have recently been told my cortisol levels were high and I can really relate to the all over numb and weak, heavy feeling. Maybe ask the doctor for a dexamethasone suppression test for cortisol. My doctor didn't know anything about how to do the test, it was my endo who told me to get it done.

High cortisol levels can indicate cushings disease, which can be linked to hypothyroidism.

• Posted

hi caz! thanks for the reply! appreciate it, its kinda tough for me to live with this symptoms. But what else could i do? i will face this no matter what. Tho sometimes i feel very weak. And i also have that anxiety attacks when my heart races and my feet are cold. sad
    • Posted

Hi zach, Yes it is very tough - I'm still going through tests and reductions in medication to try and improve symptoms and it does take a while to get results but hang in there. Request cortisol/adrenal tests I suggested as it seems to be similar to symptoms I suffer with. If you cant get the answers keep changing doctors until someone listens! Someone will smile
    • Posted

This is a good idea, because low potassium can be a sign of hyperaldosteronism or Cushing's syndrome. Both conditions are due to excessive production of adrenal hormones, which results in symptoms like dizziness, muscle weakness, tingling, numbness, spasms, fatigue, and high blood pressure.

Your reaction to the meat soup may be coincidental. Monosodium glutamate used as a flavour enhancer in soups, broths, and many other kinds of dishes can cause a racing heart, jittery sensation, palpitations, and other symptoms, and this will pass in a number of hours. If your adrenals aren't working properly, a stressful event like this could potentially act as the initial trigger for symptoms to become more intense and noticeable.

• Posted

I didn't know low potassium was linked to cushings that's really interesting to know. It's strange how lots of these things are also linked to thryoid problems too
  • Posted

Hello Zach:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987 when I was 27.

Thyroid disease can come from several factors.  Low iodine in the diet, a virus called Epstein-Barr (MONO), a family history of it, abuse or stressful living conditions, illegal drugs, Cancer or Lupus and other diseases.

Many people get it ages 20-45 most are women but men can get it also.

Symptoms of low thyroid (HYPO) are: Feeling cold, weight gain, dry skin, brittle nails, muscle aches, low body temp, low heart rate, sleepy/fatigue.

Hyper or TOO MUCH:  Losing weight, feeling HOT, sweats a lot, insomnia, jittery, nervous, anxiety attacks, fast heart rate.

If you have a lump in your neck ask your doctor to order an Ultrasound and have it looked at.  You need some blood work, such as: Potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, ferritin, iron, T3 and T4 and TSH levels. Also B-12 and Vit D levels.

You can live a good life but you need to get diagnosed to see if you are Hypo or Hyper since you have symptoms of both.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

hi Shelly! the lump is actually on the sides of my throat, when i touch it, its kinda difficult to breathe. Maybe monday here in philippines ill go and see a new doctor. Any advices to regain my life again? sad
    • Posted

i would also like to add that i've been tested with that bloodwork you mentioned shelly, and nothing bad shows up only low potassium but i dont think that is the root cause. I was ordered to test T3 T4 TSH the first time i go to a doctor. and guess what? we ignored it! i ignored it, and that was a very wrong mistake. 
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Please get an Ultrasound of the thyroid.  It take about an hour or so but it can show a lot.  First it can show size, it can show shape of the gland and then nodules and cysts.  It can help in case of any biopsy needed.

It is read by a special doctor trained in Ultrasound and you can get a report. 

Low potassium, can cause heart rate problems and lead to muscle pains and the body not working well enough. All minerals and vitamins in the body can cause problems if low.

The cause of a lump can be from tissue that is lymph and swells, also fat cells clump together (called Lipomas), and cysts can get big.  They can fill with fluid and can be drained.  It is better to be safe than sorry, so ask the doctor to repeat any blood work over 3 months old!

I am in Hawaii, USA, and we do not use anything over 3 months old. So if your blood work is old repeat it.

So repeat TSH and T4 and T3 and get an antibodies test called TPOA and TGab.  These 2 tests can diagnose any autoimmune disease. 

Also get a ESR (sed rate) test as it shows any markers for cancer, and Lupus. RBC's (red blood count complete should also be done). 

A titer for a virus called Epstein-Barr also called "MONO" can be done. Get a copy of your blood report and post it here if you can.

You can eat a Banana as it helps with potassium and so does citrus foods.

If it becomes difficult to breathe or swallow go to an ER or any emergency type facility.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Zach:

Another thought is have a blood cortisol and 24 hour urine test.  Cortisol low or high can cause dizziness, shaking, jittery, sleeping a lot. 

Also low Potassium can cause bad dizziness because of the heart requiring potassium to work well.

So look into this also.

Shelly

• Posted

Magnesuim may help with the anxiety and tingly sensations.  It has done wonders with my anxitey and muscle tightness. 
    • Posted

hi melissa? you online now? i feel very weak right now and feeling faint, what this could be? sad
    • Posted

Weakness and feeling faint could be alot of different things.  Do you have a blood pressure machine to take your blood pressure?  Perhaps your blood pressure may be low right at this time .  Your heart could also cause weakness and faintness if it is beating too slow.  If you are feeling like this all the time than like I said.. the possibilities are endless.  I am sorry I can not be of much more help.  You may want to try to get in touch with Shelly taht responded to your question earlier, as she is a nurse and may be able to help you more than I can. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.