Wasted 20's hypothyroidism?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well hello guys! i came from philippines and i am a 21 yr old male, and just wanna share the hellish tunnel that i've been through and still going through. My symptom started when i ate a meat soup then suddenly i feel weak and have numb feeling in my arms, then the symptoms countinued and worsen, i feel weak right now at this very moment, i feel kinda numb heavy feeling all over my body and the annoying tingiling sensation, always have anxiety attacks and depression, always tired, overall fatiuge and insomnia and frequently dizzy. I clearly suspect that i am a hypo cos i have a somekind of lump in my neck and always have a low body temp. Oh guys im just too young for this and it ruin my life. Can anyone help me and gave some natural remedies? Thanks guys lovelots! smile

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hey guys! how is it going? i've been taking a good multivitamin and it helps me. my muscle stiffness now are quitely relieved, and i just notice, when i am hungry the symptoms that i have been told is amplified with extreme thirst and nervousness. Im doing good now and i am really serious on quitting my bad habits. Tomorrow ill go to chech my TSH FT4 FT3 levels. pray for me guys, i hope i got an answer this time smile Thankyou guys! God is in you guys smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Please keep us posted and ask for a Blood Cortisol level as many of us can get adrenal gland problems with any thyroid issues.  Also have a blood glucose level tested as being thirsty and feeling hungry can be the start of Diabetes.

It is wise to have it checked.  God Bless.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi zach, may i know who your doctor is? Im also from the philippines and my endo refuses to have my ft3 tested. Im on euthyrox for 6 weeks now and my life is like a living hell. Thanks
  • Posted

yo guys! i got the results now here:

TSH 3.968

FT3 1.952

FT4 12.229

Anyone can interpret this? thanks smile

• Posted

Hello Zach:

TSH is 3.96 and the range is 0.45-4.50 and it is okay but some doctors like the TSH to be 1.0 to 3.0  but it is considered normal up to 4.50.

FT3 is amount in your blood stream and it should be 2.50 to 3.90 and it is a bit low.  Please give us your labs referance ranges as it can vary between countries and it may be okay in your country.

FT4  12.22  and the range is 12-22 is normal, so you have enough thyroxine or T4 in you.

If you list the ranges it would help to see what your lab says. What did your doctor say?

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

we dont have enough money to go to doctors again, so im hoing i can find some answers with that results.

TSH 3.968 - 0.9-4.5 ulU/mL

FT3 1.952 - 1.21-4.18 pg/mL

FT4 12.229 - 8.9 - 17.2 pg/mL

• Posted

Zach:

Now that I have your reference ranges. All of the blood work looks to be with in normal limits.  Your TSH and FT3 and FT4 all are okay per your reference ranges.

You need to still do some more blood work.  You should get a blood cortisol level, &  a glucose level.  All of this works a bit with the thyroid gland. 

Keep taking the multi-vitamin and eat healthy foods.  If you still feel bad symptoms then ask the doctor for a 25mcg ( low dose ) of Levothyroxine since your TSH is near the upper end of the scale.  You will have to ask as your doctor may not see any need based on your blood work.

It can take the medication 6 to 12 weeks to build a level.

Regards,

Shelly 

• Posted

hi Shelly!

Actually i posted the results in a page Thyroid Advocates in FB, and they said that i am actually a hypo! i need to take levo. Im a bit scared about the side effects but ill take it! Thanks shelly smile

• Posted

Hello Zach:

Like I said on the prior post TSH is okay on paper in the reference range you gave me,  but MOST doctors like it to be BETWEEN 1.0 and 3.0  range.  If it goes over 3.0 some doctors will call it Hypo.

So take a starter dose and you will have to give it a bit of time and it should make you feel more alert, less sleepy, it will replace the hormone  level and bad symptoms will fade away.  Most people feel better after 6 weeks on Levothyroxine.

You must take it on an empty stomach and 1 hour before meals. Food will block it and make it less effective.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

thanks shelly! may i know how are you feeling right now? smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

I started getting ill when I was 12 in the 1970's.  Doctor's never tested me back then.  In 1987 I was officially diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid disease called Hashimoto's. It attacks the thyroid and makes you Hypo over a long period of time.

I was on a lot of different thyroid meds and I started with Levo in 1987, then Thyrolar (Liotrix), then Armour Thyroid and now Cytomel (Liothyronine) which makes me feel good.

So since 2009, I  have been stable with normal TSH levels on Cytomel (Liothyronine) and I am able to function pretty well.  I have a problem as my thyroid will not convert T4 into T3 but most people can and I am not a good case to judge by.  It most likely comes from years as a teen and young adult that not being diagnosed early enough. They used to have guidelines and not check ladies until age 35, now they check people in their teens.

Levo is fine for most people and it replaces what you do not make in your own thyroid.  Once a proper level is obtained you will get more energy and feel the way you should feel for your age. Bad symptoms will fade like fatigue.

My sister takes Levo and is fine on it. She got Hashimoto's after her twins were born.  She was diagnosed because of me, and was caught early on.

Make sure you keep your vitamins and minerals up, we need them to be in good shape so our thyroid meds can work at their best.  Eat healthy and avoid junk foods and high carbs, as they cause weight gain and zap energy.  New studies say to avoid gluten as it has been known to bother the thyroid.

So you can live a good life with thyroid disease as long as you take your thyroid medication.

Keep me posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly! can you please assist me on my thyroid medication? cos we cant affort to meet another doctor so i planned to self medicate, i know that this is bad but what else can we do? I really wanna start levo tonight or maybe tomorrow before eating breakfast? so what mg should i start on levo? pls assist me. thanks Shelly lovelots smile

- Zach

• Posted

Zach, if you are going to self medicate please do lots of reading so you know what you are doing. Learn the symptoms that show you are being over-medicated and the symptoms that show you are under-medicated. Use your basal pulse and basal temperature as well to guide you. Read the ThyroGold website for information. Look in 'questions and answers' menu option and read the three free chapters of his book (click on the pdf links) to guide you. Taje care. Thyroxine is a powerful drug. If it was me, I would start on a quarter of a 25mcg tablet of levothyroxine and see how I got on for 2 weeks before increasing it by another quarter of a 25mcg tablet (so you would then be on 12.5mcg). I'm not medically qualified so I can't advise whether self medicating is the right thing to do. In my experience of taking levothyroxine it takes between 6-12 weeks for a change in dose to settle down.
    • Posted

Hello Zach,

It is best to be under a doctor's care for this.  As Thyroxine  (LEVO) needs to be monitored by blood work. 

I support Barbara's comment to you and I agree with what she said. 

Please research it and in some places they have Free Medical Clinics that can see you for Free or a small charge.

Call up the doctor who did your blood work and ask for a small dose of LEVO 25mcg.  This is a starter dose and since your TSH is almost as high as 4.0,  the doctor should order it.

Stay well, keep us posted.

Shelly

• Posted

Zach,

I've had to buy NDT over the internet because I developed an intolerance to maize starch which is in levothyroxine. Even after having an underactive thyroid for 25 years I daren't completely self medicate - my GP ran blood tests for me. Mainly so that we could be sure the NDT i was buying had in it what it said it did.

• Posted

we just cant afford it shelly, here in our place we only have 50mcg starting levo at the pharmacy. i feel so sorry for me but i have to take a risk. please assist me shelly!
    • Posted

thanks barbara, if i feel a disgusting side effect i will quit taking levo. thnaks barbara smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Please take a half tablet which is 25mcg.  that would be 1/2 of 50mcg.  The tablet can be cut it helf fairly easily.

So give it a try and keep us posted.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Zach:

I am not on FB.  I am an older lady and do not really have a need for it. I am on this forum and can be reached here.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

i quit levo shelly, i took it just for one day. I am supplementing vitamins and herbals including ginseng for adrenals and VCO and multivitamin centrum. I really cant feel the effects of what i am doing but i really hope that it will improve later on. Any advices? thanks smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Nice to hear from you again.

Take care of the adrenal glands.  Herbals are good.  Keep vitamins in the body good by taking them. It helps keep your body in good shape. We need proper levels of vitamins in the body.It can take a few weeks but you may see more energy and better immune system health.

Eat healthy and avoid high sugars and carbs, soda's, etc... as they zap energy by placing stress on the pancreas to make insulin for high sugars.  Eat fish if you can, chicken,  lean meats, and veggies, & salads.  Get proper rest and no alcohol as it is bad for the liver and is high in carbs.

Do exercise a bit as it helps with your lungs and metabolism and weight. I do walking as exercise.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

hi Shelly! im doing good right now but the heat in the afternoon is making me feel like dying! sheezz its so hot in here and its making me weak dizzy and trouble sweating keep it mind that i am in my house with a proper ventilation. Any advices on how to fight that? thanks Shelly loveyou smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Many people do not hydrate enough in tropical climates.  Please drink water or Gatorade to keep your electrolytes in good shape. Make sure you drink about 8 glasses a day. It helps to be in air conditioning or a fan blowing on you.  If body temp rises get into water and cool down.

Getting into water helps cool down the body and if you can go swimming in the hot part of the day, that will help a lot.  If sitting in a tub is helpful. watch your pulse rate and if you feel extremely dizzy or faint or your body temp goes over 102 degrees, you may need to see a doctor.  Keep hydrated to avoid needing an IV placed into you.

The Phillipines is a very humid climate and it can be hard to adjust to it. You can also use ice pads to your body to help bring the heat level down.

Keep me posted,

Shelly

• Posted

thankyou shelly! smile i appreciate you a lot smile

lovelots shelly <3>

• Posted

hi shelly! i am thinking of using a t3 only medication, can you give me a brief analysis of that treatment? smile

BTW the heat exhaustion is still here and a overwhelming depression and anxiety along with muscle weakness and overall fatiuge. I quit using levo as i feel that i dont really need it and maybe t3 is the way. smile

• Posted

Hello Zach:

I take just T3 since I have a damaged thyroid due to Hashimoto's.  T3 Cytomel  (Liothyronine) is the useable hormone that the body needs on a daily basis.  It can make you feel better and has been a lifesaver for me.

5mcg is a starter dose and you need to start low and then see how you feel.  It can effect the heart in large doses.  Most people feel better on it as it gives you energy and lessens the fatigue. It has made me come alive and takes about 6 to 12 weeks to build a proper level.

Take it on an empty stomach about the same time each day.  You should have blood work after 8 weeks to see how the T3 level is.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

cytomel is not available here shelly, it is so frustrating that the things that i need is not in reach. BTW i am now taking levo 50mcg shelly i am taking it for 5 days now, so far i dont feel any changes at this very moment. I still have that muscle cramps all over my body. and a slight anxiety and depression. smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Liothyronine is the generic name for Cytomel ( Cytomel is brand name) and they are both T3.  It takes Levo about 6 to 12 weeks to build a level. So it can take a while before you feel the effects.

Keep taking it and eat healthy. Take a good multivitamin to keep your body strong.

Xanax can help with anxiety if it gets bad.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly! i am nearing on my first week taking levo, someone told me that after taking this, i need to check again may tsh ft3 ft4 levels. my question is when will i take the tests again? after a week or 2? or 3? 
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

The body takes 6 to 12 weeks to build a level.  You need to wait about 2 to 3 months  before getting blood tested. 

When you do test you need FT3, FT4, and TSH levels.  So you have to wait until you have been on it for 8 weeks before you can test the blood again.

Take it on an empty stomach and do not eat for 1 hour after taking your medication.

Also take a good multivitamin so you can get Iron as Ferritin is a component of Iron which is needed for all thyroid meds to work well.

Keep me posted.

Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly i just wanna ask if i can take a vitamin b12 (methylcobalamin) and multivitamins at the same time? because my tingling and trembling is bothering me bigtime. 
    • Posted

Zach

It is best to space them about a few hours apart.

Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly! now i have a very bad flu like symptoms and a real bad nauseos feeling. you on now? pls assist me on what to do. I told you before that i am taking levo but now ive quit it, i like also to add that i drink alcohol days a go and then BAM! all of my symptoms was amplified especially the stomach ache, and it bothers me bigtime now. What to do with this ongoing symptom? thankyou shelly smile
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Sorry to hear that you are ill.  DO not drink alcohol for now, and keep hydrated with water or gatorade, or tea.  If you vomit a lot and can't hold fluids down you may have to see a doctor.

Eat Rice, crackers, toast, soup, and build yourself up. You may have a stomach bug/germ or tummy flu.  Watch your temperature and take Tylenol or acetaminophen if needed for headaches or temp.

Keep me posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

we just went to doctor shelly i was diagnosed that i have ascaris? a bacteria? worm? and was prescribed anti-bacterial meds. it didnt let me sleep last night cos it was so painful and i have a somekind of hypoglycemic attack when it attacks, barely can move when it hurts cos i feel very shaky feeling faint and dizzy. just in shelly, i was hit by heat stress/ heat intolerance, i suddenly feel dizzy and feeling faint with that nauseous effect. what to do? 
    • Posted

i just like to add that gatorade and electrolytes wont seem to help if it attacks, could this be adrenals? shelly ive been running tru tough time now.
    • Posted

shelly! i dont have fever but i feel flu like symptoms just like i have a bad fever. ahhh driving me crazy sad
    • Posted

Hello Zach:

Ascaris is serious as it it a parasite and worm like in the intestines. You will have to keep on the antibacterial meds to kill it off.  Once it is killed off you will be okay.

Keep hydrated and try and hold fluids and food down.  They should have given you meds to help stop nausea.

If your temp rises high, see the doctor again.  You must take all the antibacterial meds they gave you and rest yourself and take it one day at a time.

Make sure you try and eat or else you will feel worse and get dizzy, have low blood sugar, etc...

Get well and take all the meds prescribed.

Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly! we just went to doctor again cos of bad flu symptoms and cramps.

i saw that my white blood cell count is slightly higher its 9.1, doctor prescribed me antibacterials and i was scheduled tomorrow for blood fasting. i still feel that bad flu symptoms but i am very anxiuos now about that high WBC im scared that it might be something serious like cancers of the bone marrow. its crazy. please re-assure me. thanks shelly

• Posted

Hello Zach:

White blood cells should be between 5,000 to 10,000 and if they go up or are slightly elevated over 10,000 it means your immune system is fighting a germ/bacterial infection.  It is normal to see them rise during an infection and once it is cured they will return to normal.  9.1 is mildly elevated  and please take the medication prescribed for you.

Cancer does not cause that to rise unless it is Leukemia's and you  do not have that.

Relax please and concentrate on getting well.

Shelly

• Posted

hi shelly you on now? i am having seizures after taking the antibiotics i went to ER and they sent me home. i still feel this 24/7 and currently now, i just forced myself to reply on this. help me shelly as all my labs are normal

could this be herxing? please help me. what to do? please i am really miserable now i tot i was gonna die yesterday cos my body feels like its gonna frost and i cant breathe. after they BP'd me my arm went heavy. help me shelly what to do on this? as my doctors sent me home and they said its all in my head

what to do please sad

• Posted

Hello Zach:

Seizures are a sometimes rare reaction to an Antibiotics and you may need a lower dose one.  If you have any breathing trouble, you must see the ER  NOW. If your BP stays high that is serious and see the ER.

Breathing must be addressed and you can't wait on that!!!  You may have an allergery to this antibiotic and may need to switch to a different one immediately.

Flush your system by drinking water and stop taking the current antibiotic and call your Doctor and get a different one or sulfa meds.  Sulfa is not as strong but may help.

Keep me posted,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.