Watching a dermoid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Question for those with dermoids:

Is anyone else just "watching" the dermoid without having it removed right now?

I know that they eventually have to be removed, but some doctors suggest watching with frequent ultrasounds if they aren't too large.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can anyone please tell me, how a 100% diagnose of a dermoid cyst is made without histological workup? 

Which doc is so brave (let's call it brave) to give this premature diagnose of a tumor prior any biopsy or removal?

I don't really get it, there are hints and 'most likely', but there is nothing for sure until removal.

A simple cyst, fine, wait and see, but a complex cyst growing and 'wait and see'?

I am always very amazed how anyone is told to have a dermoid cyst without surgery.

please enlighten me. Maybe something has changed since I worked in histology or was operated on myself happily finding out that it was a growing symptom free dermoid only.

• Posted

It's called an MRI - can identify all the hallmarks of a dermoid cyst. The consensus is less than 3 cm they can stay. An MRI would identify suscipious features. Not everything is cancer. Not all benign growths need to be removed. In fact sometimes removing them does more harm than good. It's a personal choice whether to opt for conservative management if your consultant agrees. You should not let anyone frighten you into unnecessary and invasive surgery. Dermoids are BENIGN growths. If they were malignant they would have to take the whole ovary and they do not.

• Posted

I'm with Nicolette on this in terms of decision making. I'm sure this forum is helpful but none of us are doctors & we're all individuals making choices best for our own bodies. If a consultant at one of the best hospitals in the world is telling me I do not have to remove my dermoid, I am not presently going to put myself through surgery & the fact ANY surgery comes with risks. No one on here should be questioning people's choice. Equally, no one should give facts/opinions that only qualified practitioners can have.

• Posted

I know.

Dermoids are benign, (but 1-2% transform malignous, very rarely), I cut them on a daily basis.... I had a cystectomy of then-turned-out-to-be dermoid cyst due to location, of course no ovary taken if operable that way. Taking ovary is sometimes not only the decision of benign or not, but of tumor (=growth) location within ovary and experience of surgeon.

• Posted

I had a laparoscopy for what they thought was a simple cyst that wasn't going away. They found out it was a dermoid then.

They didn't remove it because I asked the dr not to cut into my one remaining ovary.

They said it is more common now to watch and not remove it right away and I trust my dr.

• Posted

Thank you, that makes the whole story much different.

A teratoma/dermoid is a hiddeous looking tumor makroscopically, so your dermoid was actually confirmed via laparoscopy and not fat suppressed MRI protocol only.

That makes a huge difference.

Also, that you only have one ovary left.

These two facts combined with the size of it, makes it really much more understandable and staying in the loop of monitoring the size and what it was doing via MRI and doppler ultrasound.

Very good!

Thank you so much for clearing that crucial difference up. Of course then I would trust my doc too and can wait

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.