waterjet abiation therapy for the prostate

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been told of a trial for this by my urologist in the uk has anyone had this done yet?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know anyone who has done this, but there is a trial going on for this in my neck of the wood also (Albany NY USA).

• Posted

Really? When/where did you hear of this? I heard some advertisement over the summer of BPH trials but never called ( not sure I want to be a guinea pig ) I'm near Albany also

• Posted

Looks like the system flagged my response for the moderator. Not sure why, I didn't include a link.

So here it is again (edited!).

My uro docs are at the Urological Insitute of North East NY, main office in Albany. I actually had a consult scheduled with the doc running the study (Dr Welliver), but cancelled after giving it second thought (I've pretty much decided on PAE). If you'd like more detailed info, I can put it in a PM to you.

Where are you located? I'm an hour south of Albany in the Catskills.

Rich

• Posted

Forgot to say when: The appt had been scheduled for Oct 21, so a month and a half ago.
    • Posted

Howdy Neighbor, I'm across the river near Hudson. I'll send you a PM when I get home from work

• Posted

There seems to be lots of trials coming up looking for voulunteers! im not sure if i want to be a guinea pig, of course the urologists dismiss pae asnit does not involve them.

• Posted

Look forward to it.

I'm actually in Bearsville (a hamlet that is part of Woodstock). Don't often get to Hudson, but do pass by on my way to the Urological Institute and the Amtrak station in Albany.

• Posted

I'm on board with both of your comments. I'm not sure how much different water ablation is from Rezum. There's a discussion thread about Rezum on the forum. While some seem to like it, I'm still leaning much towards PAE.

• Posted

My urologist seems very keen on this new procedure it does seem similar to rezum so i will check that forum also, pae here is about $15000 urolift and this new trial free so that may decide me!
    • Posted

Yes they are. Weill Cornell - NY Presbyterian is also conducting that study.
  • Posted

This actually seems promising from what I have just found online. Early results look good, and appears to take the "art" out of the procedure.

Kind of looks like Holep without loss of ejaculation.

• Posted

yes it does, he told me its the heat that destroys ejaculation and with this method no heat, so hopefully there is someone on here who has had it done and can tell us their experience.
    • Posted

I haven't seen anything regarding RE. Do you possibly have a link, or matbe just quote a website so I can Google it

• Posted

I don't have a link. I was reading a study that was done, and it had the results. It said no sexual side effects or something like that. So I am assuming that means no RE. But I was hoping someone who looked into this further would comment. I would look into the study, but nothing close to me. Plus I done want a chance of placebo procedure. 

I like Ike the idea of taking the skill required out of the doctors hands, having spent a career in machining and manufacturing. 

• Posted

Not sure about the computer control thing personally. Being in machining  you've seen a CNC machine crash lollollol

• Posted

I have to figure that the system has ultimate limits and a "deadman" emergency shutoff. But you can do a lot more good work with a CNC milling machine than 1,000 machinists can do by hand.

• Posted

I understand the risk of being in the control group and receiving the sham/placebo issue as I had to come to terms with it too. The placebo is that they knock you out and insert a catheter and rough you up a bit so you think they did somehthing. Burns a little, maybe a little blood in your urine. No real harm since you are a macho tough guy right. You just lose time before you can move on to another remedy is the only real risk.

So I put on my Boy Scout hat where I promise to help other people at all times and proceeded with the idea that I was doing this for others in the future like my son and son-in-law. If I did get a benefit then so much the better. Once I got to that mindset i was comfortable with it and stopped worrying about it. For myself I really do not know for sure if i got the iTind or the sham. They could have inserted an anchor without any cutting arms into my bladder or prostate to hold the suture string retrieval tether and I would not know the difference.

I have seen some improvement but it is not consistent. That could all be in my mind as the placebo effect can be quite real. I go back for flow testing in 5 weeks and I think again in 3 months at which time they will be finished with me and tell me the results. If I received the sham I will immediately ask where I can go in Canada as I think it has been approved up there. It is only a day's drive for me and I have firneds in Montreal who might help me out with accomodations.

Or I might look into water aquablation. I should not be rejected as I did not have any real surgery if I was in the sham group. Or I could try the drugs for a while to see if they work. What I am saying is that I am not out of options for future treatment.

My bottom line is that every day I wake up indoors, warm, well fed, not in pain and healthy it is a blessing from God. There are a lot of people who are not as lucky as I am.

• Posted

But all you need is 1 erroneous G code and everything goes to heck in a hand basket cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.