Ways to overcome depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had depression for 2 months now and we all know how awful it makes you feel. I don't work at the moment and I have a lovely husband, family and home. But yet I feel so alone and blue!! I am having huge problems sleeping, getting out of bed in the morning, doing household chores and going to the gym. I know this is a big ask but is there anyone out there who has discovered ways of tackling any of the above problems. Your advice would be gratefully received. Keep strong x

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wish I could share a miracle solution with you... I can really relate to what you are experiencing. I think it is just a case of carrying on, making plans and seeing your successes. Some days are good, some days are a bit nothing and some are truly awful. 
    • Posted

Thanks Amberstar it is always reassuring to hear that people can relate to the same depressive difficulties. Sometimes I feel so much better and I think the depression is lifting for it to return the next day. Take care x
    • Posted

I have felt like I'm getting worse every day since July :-( I have been keeping on going to work until yesterday when I just couldn't anymore. I do feel loads brighter today so I am hopeful I will make it work tomorrow. Then I will get back into my gym and work routine 😃😃
    • Posted

I am pleased that you are feeling a bit brighter today. It is hard knowing when to return to work and I think people with depression are good at hiding their feelings. I think for myself that when I start sleeping better then that will be a good indicator of me turning the corner. Be gentle on yourself. Is it worth having a chat with your doc.? All the best x
    • Posted

I'm at the doctors next Friday. I visited many times when I first started this period of feeling down - I was very anxious and struggling to function. I've found all I want to do is sleep. I think it is so I can hide away! At least I know that my thoughts obviously stop at some point - just not when I'm awake! 

I work supporting people and sometimes I think how can I be doing this when I'm such a mess myself!!!! 

• Posted

You will learnt so many skills living through depression-empathy, courage to name a few. When the depression has lifted you will emerge so much stronger. Please be kind to yourself perhaps it might be worth having a chat with doc before you return. When I had depression 4 years ago I returned to work too early and had to take more time off. When I returned the second time I was in a much better place and I was able to pick up where I had left off. I think I am trying to say take time off to build up your strength  if you think you need it. Work is exhausting when you are under par. Take good care of yourself and let me know what you decide to do. Best wishes x
    • Posted

I'm so nervous to have time off work as it is only a fixed term contract and I'm trying to make a good impression. I Spent two years job hunting before this job. But I do know I need to be kind to myself too. So hard to know what to do for the best. Xx 
    • Posted

Yes I know first hand the dilemma you are in. I have been there too!! I guess when you are in a bad place then it would be difficult to go in and if that is you then don't push yourself too hard. See the doc first. If you feel you are strong enough to cope with the demands of the job well that is fine. Whatever you decide I send lots of best wishes. Let me know what you decide to do. Remember your health is more important than the job. Take care x
    • Posted

Do you know Amber you are doing so Well. You must be a very caring sensitive Person to Do the Job you do

I  Was raised to get on with It and not to indulge myself In self pity. 

So when I Hit hard times I didnt discuss It. Which crippled me emotionally.

I In No way blame my parents they were raised that way.

It is only a very recent thing that I sought Help not by my gp but people like me. Who had First Hand experience of depression.

What I am saying to you is Do whatever you need to Do to get you through the day.

No-one Will judge you for It. Jo x

• Posted

Aww thanks Jo. 

I'm not very good at asking for help. I have always supported other people which is probably why I was drawn to my job!!!! 

I am going to go back to work tomorrow and see how it goes. I have a doctors appointment next Friday - the quickest appointment I could get with my own doctor. I am taking two weeks off for Christmas and new year so not long until I get a nice long break. 

• Posted

Your doing so Well....dont Let people tell you otherwise. 

I think your a Star for working when you feel like you do. It takes great strength of character.

If you feel down or need a virtual shoulder to cry on.

Log on and vent....Youll feel better for It.

Jo x

• Posted

I've found taking b complex and fish oil capsules help. Also to really cut down on tea coffee in evenings..xx
    • Posted

Thanks I am guilty of drinking coffee and tea in the evening. I won't tonight and I'll see if it makes a difference. My mind seems to race instead of sleeping x
    • Posted

Yeah tea and coffee can make u more anxious. Try a hot chocolate as they say sends off good feelings. Also try the b complex and fish oil capsules I take one every morning and I'm completely off all medication now xxx 
    • Posted

Yes hot choc with marshmallows and fresh cream. Pleased that you are doing so much better. How long did your depression last if you don't mind me asking? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.