We have an unknown mite infestation that we cannot get rid of, please help..

Posted , 93 users are following.

We had a roommate move in three years ago, she had a dog who itched and flopped its ears a lot. Our dogs started itching and flopping there ears and then we started itching and getting bit and it never stopped. It comes in cycles, starting with light crawling that seems to be worse at night but happens during the day as well. It intensifies in a day or two and i can feel little pin prick stings as well as crawling and this lasts for a few days intensely with a lack of sleep and scratching all night. It seems to get better for a few days of a less intense relief and then its back and starts all over. It doesn't look like scabies bites or follow the pattern of scabies rash. I have bites focused mainly around my chest neck behind ears and on my face and upper back, they are other places as well but they are focused there and we have scars. The do seem to like areas where clothes are the tightest. Our dogs have scratch marks in ears and around the neck and on the chest and back legs as well.  I have been to the doctor and treated with permethrin and taken the dogs in and treated for mange..numerous skin scrapings have come up negative. The dogs were given a dose of ivermectin injection three different times and we have done Permethrin three times from the dr. as well as got rid of dog beds and soaked them in medicated shampoo. We bagged all our stuff and washed and dried everything before we used and vacummed like crazy and mopped with bleach mixture even the walls numerous times. We have a plastic cover on our bed and pillow cases. We have moved five times since this started and we deep clean everything and treat before we move but its still haunting us..We have tried lintox, permethrin and ivermectin (orally) on the dogs as well as sulfur dips and peppermint tea tree soaks and tried the borax and hydrogen peroxide recipe for dogs. I have made medicine for in there ears used at the same time as well. On us i bought the permethrin for horses and we made our own 5%. We have also tried neem, peppermint, tea tree oil, lavender and sulfur lotion, pastes and soaks. We have tried all these things for a month each and still no resolve. We have a Son on the way in a couple weeks and i have come to terms with the fact that we will not be rid of this mystery mite by then and it scares me to death. I have only been able to do natural oils while pregnant. I bought a microscope and have been taping itchy parts and taping around the dogs at night and our bed and looking at whatever i can try and find under the microscope and nothing... I even do skin scrapes with a razor blade and mineral oil on slides. I am at a loss and feel hopeless. as of late i have been seeing tiny little red pin point marks where the skin is white around it, they are not raised at all though and i am unsure if it is related. I have thought some sort of demodex, bird mite, rat mite or scabies and even bedbugs? I cannot find anything on the microscope. They are relentless and i am about to burn everything we own and bomb the cars and buy all new clothes and treat us all then camp out for a month!! I don't know what else to do. Any input would be helpful. I have attached pics of bites and a strange pattern of worm shaped demodex like shell or casing that might be mite related and a picture of a bite site under microscope.

5 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

omg, I have gone through the same thing. four or five years ago my dog picked up ear mites and it's been on and cracking ever since. just when I thought I had it cleared up they pop up again and the doctors are of no use to me. I've done the same stuff you've done natural remedies, constant vacuuming, constant bleaching the kitchen, and taking care of my dog. but I've had them pop up again recently. and there is no use going to the doctors because they think I'm crazy. and I know better! I've done the microscope I've taken pictures blown the pictures up so that I can see details. the doctors didn't even want to see what kind of things I was able to bring to an appointment. it's insane what I'm going through.

• Posted

I have had the same thing for 4 years , I was told carpet beetles, bedbugs, pin worm, scabies ...ext. nothing ever works and it pulls threads out of all fabrics and bumps in scalp ,face and neck ..fells like a tingling muscle pain and feet swelling itchy more at night and have insomnia because of skin problems.

• Edited

I would like to start with " I am not a doctor and I would never tell anyone to try anything!" but this is what is working for me. I too have had some sort of mite infestation for the past 3+ years and have tried everything. I have been to 7 doctors including a dermatologist that did biopsies and 3 health departments. None of which have given me any help!!!! this has really destroyed my life in and out of my home. I've been unable to work, sometimes I don't sleep for 4 to 6 days at a time, can't visit with my family outside of my home, all because of this embarrassing, painful, humiliating MITE. And all I ever hear is this is really ruining your life, and that I'm crazy, there's no way anything could be biting me, and how sick and tired they are of hearing that I am itching!

But I guess what angers me the most is that these people do not realize that I am stuck in my body and I have had no peace for a single minute literally for 3+ years everyday! and believe me I know it has ruined my life and my relationships and I have been unable to do anything about it until now! finally the helplessness is over it seems.

This all started when I noticed a glittery look to my clothes and furniture. I it's uncontrollably and would get a rash that looks like a sunburn with welts all over my arms in my neck, and would have bites all over me. my husband never showed signs of a rash of any sort or bites and he does not itch so what can be going on with all I could think.

I deep cleaned until I was blue in the face, got rid of my furniture, matress, clothes, make up, and... I have tried practically everything to get rid of this over the counter and from the doctors and nothing ever helped at all!

Well that all changed 3 days ago

when my husband brought something home from Kroger's. NIX ULTRA SOLUTION. THIS IS A MINERAL OIL THAT SUFFOCATES ANYTHING THAT YOU PUT IT ON.

I woke up this morning where I had 20 bites yesterday I have three today. I soaked my hair in the stuff and put it all over my whole body let it soak in and went to bed. the second day after using it I did notice the sunburned look come back but I think it just made the mites mad because I was killing them so they tried to irritate me again that was yesterday. today this sunburn look is gone also. I'm going to continue to do this treatment until I see no marks whatsoever Indian continue it again for a couple of months, at least once or twice a week.

I honestly had given up hope at this point until he brought that home and I really and truly had no hope left, I was so bitter with everybody cuz nobody would or could help me and everyone just took my trying to make me think I'm crazy. I know I'm not crazy, I know when something bites me, and I know when doctors maybe just don't know what it is so they ignore it and act like it's you that you're crazy so I stopped going to the doctor's a long time ago because I was tired of everybody labeling me is a nutcase. believe me if I could I would have died of embarrassment and humiliation I would have when one NP asked me if I was shooting up because I had these marks all over my arms. I was there at my family doctors office trying to get help from the nurse practitioner is she was treating me like a needle junkie. I was so angry I had to get up and leave. She wouldn't even look at it, or try to help me figure out what was going on. I have never been more embarrassed or humiliated in my life. I left there in tears that broke me down for weeks because I just couldn't get any help. and then those weeks turn into months, then to years..... I truly just wanted to die.I don't know if I can ever get my relationship back with my husband because of this mite.....and now he has stage 4 cancer... and honestly I might never get a chance. If my story helps one person I will be grateful because I really would not wish this on my worst enemy. and I would never want anybody to feel like I have felt, so helpless and disgusted with life and so bitter toward everybody that crossed my path. I have to say I will still be very bitter with some people for all the things they have said and done and I don't think that will ever change.but at least him home but I might have a minute of Peace at some point in my life again from these terrible little mites.

• Posted

did it work for you ? i jnow exactly yoyr feeling i get the same nobody will even look! my whole body is so swollen i have to have a colonoscopy cuz my calprotectin levels are high feom i guess them inside my body? inflammation.they are in my eyes nose teeth all over!

• Edited

I have also been having the same issues as everyone else that has posted on here. I have been having symptoms for over 2 years now. a true living hell. I don't have a remedy or an I'd of the parasite, I so wish I did. I research endlessly and the only good to come of it is I have found others like yourselves that r hurting as bad as me, for that I'm truly sorry. I am glad I'm not crazy although I sometimes wish I was , it would be easier to explain this crap. if anyone know any thing that can help please post .

• Edited

not sure why but my post was deleted... i have a years worth of experience with this. dont have time to re type stuff all the time. as if i wasnt stressed enough. figures. will try again tonite.

• Edited

I have been dealing with this for over a year, I believe I have it narrowed down to a fungus that lives on parasites. If you dont kill the fungus first it protects the parasite. I do the fungal cleanse first, anything ending in azole, then use an oil containing a parasite killer, I use ear mite treatment...so far it has made it bearable, hope this helps

• Posted

I agree as a 4 year sufferer, i have identified "it" is most likely a co-infection of one or more, demodex mites, scabies, springtails, fungus, bacteria.. IT is airborne, you MUST get HEPA filtration in bedroom where you sleep at the MINIMUM. Take a shower at night wash with hot rinse cold, use clove oil 3 drops in shampoo and 3 in conditioner...while conditioner is in hair fill a large cup with water and turn off shower...soap up entire body head to toe with tea tree oil and or clove oil and soap leave for 1-2 min, rinse luke warm then slowly get colder and colder ... use a shower head water filter and change often as all filters will get contaminated and become a source of cross contamination. Lint roll sheet on bed and shake top sheet out doors EVERY NIGHT. Wash clothes using borax, dry quick till damp as your dryer is 1 MAIN source of CONTAMINATION... YOUR clothes become the filter for your contaminated AIR!!!. Install an electrostatic filer with magnets of back of dryer to keep contaminated air out. IRON YOUR 100% cotton only underwear socks pants and shirt... I have used this successfully to elimate 98% of infection. MY Skin is clean under magnification up to 1000X. The environment is your MAIN source of contamination, every time you leave your home your clothes are statically charged, as well as your hair...upon returning vacuum bottom of shoes asn wash your hand put your clothes in a trash bag . you can come your hair and or use a hepa (i use 3m electronic vacuum with ULPA high efficiency (better than hepa) filter to vacuum hair or just shower BEFORE you contaminate your house and start all over again... your AC ducts is 2nd primary source have them cleaned or replace them... or bug bomb with raid permetherin dry fog cans... dry fog bomb your car, your wallet / purse. Cross contamination is everywhere..The 3rd and main source is your clothing and bedding including your towels and whites, change them often...use only 100% cotton so you can steam them with iron....this is a PLAGUE from the bible...its called LEPROSY...in Hebrew this is called INFECTIOUS SKIN CONDITION... its the CLEAN vs the UNCLEAN... God Bless you all you will need his help to rid yourself of this scourge.....

• Posted

i have the exact situation as you describe even to scratching dogs. originally thought it a flea issue. its been a year for me to seek treatment as i assumed it was in relation to my work. was told it was scabies by Dr. without testing. was given permethrin 5% . now a week after treatment ive begun to itch all over. please update me on your situation and treatments. im becoming distressed more and more daily. thank you for your time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.