Weak muscles, shaky body, pins and needles and anxiety

Posted , 65 users are following.

Hi, I've had anxiety for years and most of my family suffers from it. Recently I've been having pins and needles, burning feeling in my hands or feeling of numbness in my finger tips. When I wake up in the morning I feel very shaky inside and today I've felt my legs shaking throughout the day and feeling weak. I'm feeling so overwhelmed by it and convincing myself  I have MS. It's literally preoccupies my mind throughout the day and I feel like I'm driving myself crazy checking for symptoms. I've been seeing therapist for years and I've been fine for years but for some reason it hit me hard again beginning of this year. Does anyone have similar symptoms? 

10 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are any of you on medications that might have brought on this full-body shaking?

I was on Lexapro (anti-depressant) and Ativan (a benzodiazepine) for ten years... I do wonder if they did something to my brain.

• Posted

No i had the tremors / shaking the week I went into hosp and they found my heart arrythmia now on propranolol for heart and anxiety
  • Posted

Finding this thread has actually helped me a lot.

Like most people all these symptoms started 3 weeks ago.

I woke up and noticed my left little finger twitching. Nothing major and assumed it was probably a trapped nerve. It carried on all day at random moments. The next day it was doing the same and I paid a bit more attention to it - not painful but annoying. That evening I went for a meal and I was dwelling on it so much I think I had a panic attack at the table and convinced myself I was going down with a horrible illness.

The day after that was it. On waking I felt nauseous, weak, terribly fatigued with no energy or motivation to do anything. I just wanted to lie in bed and when walking thought my legs were about to crumple up beneath me. I have pretty much felt like this, to some degree, every day for the past 3 weeks with most recently every muscle in my body randomly twitching, more so when I'm sat down or laying in bed at night. This of course freaked me out even more which I understand heightens everything even more and keeps you in that cycle. Ive had what feels like a dull ache in my big toe and until recently a had a hot flush sensation running down the back of my right leg every now and then. It has been absolutely miserable.

The strange (but comforting) thing is that on a number of days and in particular three days running this week, I have started to feel better as the day has gone on and by yesterday evening I wouldn't have even known there was a problem.. muscles would still twitch but nothing like they had been.

I went to the GP and they did a massive blood test which all came back normal (funny - after getting that result was one of the occasions I felt completely well again). This soon returned to feeling lethargic and fatigued the following day, with what felt like buzzing arms/legs as if I was plugged into the national grid but if I held my arms or hands out.. flat as a fiddle they would be. Once up anf about walking there was no problem either but in the back of my mind I still felt like jelly.

Shes referred me for an EMG on my left arm and hand as it is more than likely I have a trapped nerve but that one little thing has produced such a massive response from my body I think it has a) exhausted myself due to excessive worry and b) put me in such a heightened state of alertness that my muscles are simply misfiring as I (and they) unwind and relax.

I self referred to our local NHS depression and anxiety service and have been doing a mix of face to face talks and an online course (CBT) which I have to admit has been very interesting and helpful.

My biggest fear has been because I have never experienced the fatigue and perceived shaking before, it must be something bad and unrelated - time and again doctor's have said anxiety can make your body do anything. But reading everyone's experiences which are similar, if not the same, that helps tremendously. I'm looking at a long weekend away with my wife after a frantic time at work for total relaxation plus looking into reflexology and anything else that might help me unwind.

I am 90% sure it is mind over matter and know that we can all get through it.

All the best to everyone.

• Posted

I've been having the same symptoms as mrsK123. For about 2 months now. I think it might be an infection in the blood. My white cell count was elevated and I'm taking antibiotics and it has subsided . But I still have the twitching all over my body and legs. I need to find out what this twitching is about it really gets to me.

• Posted

There needs to be a Facebook blog for everybody that has these symtoms.
    • Posted

I'm a member of two support groups on Facebook that have hundreds of people with similar symptoms. One is neuronauts and the other is fibromyalgia support group. Have you tried taking a magnesium supplement? 

• Posted

I am so glad that I found this discussion! In 1997 I started getting pressure Point steroid injections in my shoulder blade area. They worked really well, but no one will give them anymore. About the same time I developed migraines. Starting in 2015, I began having "shock" sensations (like that of a TENS unit) that run a pattern down my neck/back. My left arm and hand have been numb with pins and needles for years. My neck gets so tense that I have to lower my head slowly and stretch the muscles. And the internal shaking feels violent even though externally it is much less. I am at a loss on what it is or how to fix it.

• Posted

You most likely have a pinched or irritated nerve. Google polyradiculopathy. I have it on the right side, along with cervical dystonia, which causes painful spasms/twisting in the neck and shoulders. I get Botox for it. I highly recommend seeing a neurologist to get EMG testing. I also have carpal tunnel on the right side(even though I'm left handed). Hope this helps! 

• Posted

Also, my pinched nerve is in the neck(c-6-t-1). Yours might be the same. Have you tried gabapentin or pain medication?
    • Posted

I have cervical dystonia as well, along with these other symptoms.  Will google that now.
    • Posted

I don't think that googling symptoms is a good idea. It just feeds your anxiety.

• Posted

I'm a nurse and emt. I'm not saying google random symptoms just a condition to get an idea of what to speak to his doctor about so he could rule it out or do futher tests. 

• Posted

I feel the same way sometimes constantly googling my symptoms thinking the worse is going to happen,I'm sick of feeling like this!!!

• Posted

Yes, everyone on this forum has had this as part of their anxiety.

Hopefully that is what it is with you.

• Posted

I am suffering the same at the moment dizziness headache shaking inside weakness in hands and arms I'm also convinced I have MS, had my iron levels checked they are ok blood monitor for 24hrs I'm going for an ECG Friday and doctors Monday but I want referring to see if it's my brain and I've also just started some anxiety counselling see if it's me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.