Weakend immune system?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Sorry for yet again another discussion but I have a question! Does anyone know If glandular fever can weaken the immune system and make you more vulnerable to things like skin infections? 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paige, I would imagine it does weaken the immune system. I’m very careful when I go out anywhere to keep my hands away from my face, etc... 

our bodies are fighting this mono virus and it needs all the support it can get.

Just be vigilant and avoid ppl that are sick.

• Posted

Hi Paige!

I am sure it makes immune system so weak. Its attacking us so its easy to catch other viruses too.  I do not have experience with skin infection personally but I caught some other infection while being affected with mono already. My doctor warned me to really pay attention not to have sick people around as it might be very easy to get sick even more.

I hope you are better soon.

• Posted

Hi Pagie,

I think because the virus is so horrible it can make you more susceptible to other colds and viruses, or make them hit a little harder when they come, but remember that is only temporary and your body will strengthen again as you get over this virus. I've read people saying they've had skin trouble with the virus so that could well be one of the symptoms that you are getting, but remember it does pass and will go away with time! Thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, I have been worrying non stop recently , waking up every morning crying in panic over what has been happening to my health over the last 5 weeks. It started when came up with a large purple bruise one day and googled and instantly thought I had leukemia, the bruise faded but I slowly started to experience other symptoms of leukemia , I had a fever and stomach pain which sent me to a&e , they did blood tests and everything was fine, I then went to my doctors to have more blood tests and they found the glandular fever, after this I have still been scared to death by leukemia so I paid for a private blood test, the results came back normal for this but I am still scared as my gums bleed slightly easily sometimes and I feel nauseous when i eat sad does any of this at all sound similar to gf

• Posted

Hi Paige, I can understand your concerns. Every little thing about this virus has freaked me out. My most current symptom I have is mono arthritis. I’ve been really depressed about it. But to address your concerns... yes, stomach pain and easily bruising  has been an issue for me too. . The symptoms seem to jump around so just know you are not alone.  We will get trough this. Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water or clean juices. This will keep your system working at its optimal. 

We will get through this. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Tabitha, I just have no idea how something like this can last for so long! And with so many ups and downs aswell, the anxiety builds up day by day rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Pagie,

Oh i know it's a horrible cycle to go through that pain and worry and anxiety, I do want to reassure you that you will get through this and will get better. Although it's frustrating in a way when blood tests don't show anything, it is a good thing really because it means it's most likely the mono and nothing else at work - you did the right thing going to get these done. It's so hard to settle yourself when things keep going like this I know - but just remember the symptoms will pass, these do sound normal and you will get through this - hard as it seems right now. You're going to make it and I believe God is looking after you and will pull you through.

Craig

• Posted

Could you tell me what blood tests you had? I have bruises on my thighs for months now. Doctor ordered only the blood clotting test and that's it. I am worried because I have low grade fever, and weakness and lots of other symptoms.

And do you get bruises any more? I get about 5-6 bruises for a week.

• Posted

Ive had 3 full blood counts, a clotting test, thyroid, liver function, arthirits test, one mono spot, blood smear and now waiting for the results of another mono spot and EBV test. I dont get bruises anymore, i only got the one about 5 weeks ago and thats it but thats what triggered my fear of leukemia.
    • Posted

I had CBC 3-4 time during this year and the only thing I notice that my hemoglobin is lowering. 

I had IGG IGM tests which were normal, i think if it was leukemia they’d have been low.

Anyways, my fear are lymphoma and leukemia too. My gums are not bleeding but they have been receding.

The thing is that ny fanily doctor doesn’t want to do further tests to putmy mindat ease.

• Posted

I think if you’ve felt it for quite a over three months it’s deffo not leukemia as you would have been in hospital by now. That’s why I’m worried as I’m at the 5 week stage. I usually just tell my doctor what tests I want as otherwise he wouldn’t test me for anything.
    • Posted

you've been getting bruises for 5 weeks or you've been sick with mono for 5 weeks? 

I've had the bruises for over 2 months I guess. But I've been sick with 100 other symptoms for over a year, since April 2017. My symptoms changed through months. But I am getting weaker and weaker. And still no answers.

Take care

• Posted

BY the way my bruises were on my thighs and hips at first they were both big and small, they were ranging from purplish to green and red. I was terrified. And they don't fade easily. This week I got one large bruise on my arm too.

I also noticed I get more of them them a week before my period.

Do you also have this itchy red dry patches? For me the first came itchiness then the bruises.

Sorry for so many posts, trying to figure out as doctors don't talk or explain what could be going on.

• Posted

Sorry Christine you're ahead of me I responded on the other threat suggesting getting a clotting blood test but I see you've already done that. It's so frustrating when doctors refuse you other tests, I've had that so many times and they just won't take a person's emotional state into consideration that doing another simple test can put someone's mind at rest and rule something out.

Thinking of you Paige and Christine and really hoping for a better week this week for you - you guys have been through such a hard time and deserve it more than anything. And remember the day will come when this whole virus is a thing of the past.

Craig

• Posted

I’ve been sick with mono for 5 weeks, I only had one large purple bruise on my thigh at the very start. I have been getting various weird new spots on my chest area aswell as tiny red blood spots on my arms and legs, do you get these too?
    • Posted

Also do you know if it’s normal to get extreme fatigue at the 5 week mark?
    • Posted

The fatigue is worse for the first 2-3 months. Then it gets much better. For me I regained my energy after 3-4 months from the start of the virus. But my swollen lymph nodes never went down, and sore throat is always there. When I was at 7 mark I got low grade fever and itching. Then these bruises.

I also get little red dots everywhere. I just checked when I had the blood clotting test and it was 6 weeks ago, so for me bruises have been there for 7 weeks and so far I have got weaker.

• Posted

Thank you Craig. I hope you're doing well today I remember you had back problems. Thank you for encouraging people on this forum.

Christine

• Posted

Thanks Christine for your encouragement too - just hang in there and remember you are gonna get there! I have a good feeling.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.