Weakness and nausea 4 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 38 users are following.

well it's been 4 months since I had the gallbladder removed on Tuesday and I'm no better. Still persistent nausea no appetite dry wretching or sometimes vomiting in the morning and horrendous weakness. It's been the worst 4 months of my life. Waking up in the middle of the night every night with the nausea sometimes at 230am and can't go back to sleep. Some days it eases off by lunch time some days it doesn't. Have been in and out of hospital and have been told it's a side effect of the surgery and it's very rare. Have found other people who had gone through similar experiences and it can take 6-9 months to recover. Have posted on this before but got little feedback. Just posting again in case there's anyone this has happened to or that they may know of this happening to. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

2 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can't offer any advice, just wanted to say how sorry I am you are still suffering sad Please keep us posted.
    • Posted

Thank you Jennifer. It's the not knowing if and when I'll ever recover from this. I just spent another few weeks in hospital and met someone who also went through similar and spoke to someone else whose friend also was very sick for 6 months afterwards. I am clinging on to their stories to get me through this. Also know of another woman Who couldn't get out of bed for 6 months after the op as was very sick too. This is all I have to get me through this. I wish there were some more comments on here from people who've experienced this but doesn't seem to be anyone. I have seen it mentioned in other blogs. Hopefully there's someone out there that can give me some more courage to get through this. Hope your doing ok. X
    • Posted

Hi acinjon!  Sorry your feeling so poorly!   you gave me such good support a few weeks ago.  is there anything your medical team can suggest that will help?   Surely something can be done?  you take care, and get better soon!   Val.
    • Posted

Thank you Valerie. I hope your doing ok too? They have prescribed antisickness tablets and basically said It will have to run its course. Nothing more they can do!! I've had all the tests under the sun and only have mild gastritis and a large cyst on my ovary which they are leaving put for now. I'm worn out from feeling like this. X
    • Posted

Thank goodness i've not got the nosea or vomiting, because as i've said before on this forum, i've got a dreadful fear of vomiting and of nosea incase it leeds to my vomiting!  Are the anti sickness pills helping?   You take care of yourself sweetheart, and keep us posted on how your doing.   Big hugs!  Val.
    • Posted

No the anti sickness tablets aren't helping at all. Just vomited again. I'm just praying that I'll turn the corner soon. But have a feeling I've another few months of this ahead from what I've researched. If the vomiting would even stop that would be a start. X
  • Posted

Perhaps something like Omeprazole would help; back in 2012 I had all the symptoms you mention although I had no idea at the time my gallbaldder was to blame.  I was put on anti-sickness tablets but NONE of them worked.  I was at the end of my tether always feeling so sick and unwell.  In the end, after about 4 months, my doctor thought I might have the onset of ulcers and prescribed Omeprazole.  I felt an immediate relief, though not total relief until about 3 days into taking this medication.    Anyway, it may be worth checking this out.
  • Posted

PS: it was my gallbladder which was giving me the problems, although also at the time my thyroid had dropped several points which also made me feel very weak indeed.    I truly hope you find some kind of relief - 
    • Posted

Thank you moonday. I am on a ppi already as have mild gastritis. Did you have your gallbladder removed? And was it a success? X
    • Posted

No, I'm due to have my gallbladder removed on Wednesday.   I'm hoping I will be able to live a little more  normally where food is concerned.  Presently I'm on a no fat diet and I have to say that helps, but if I eat anything my GB doesn't like I end up with hours of pain.  
    • Posted

Wishing you the very best with the operation. Is your gallbladder inflamed as well or is it just the nasty gallstones. I just had 1 large stone causing me pain but my gallbladder was Normal and now I'm wondering is that why I'm so sick. I have to keep telling myself what my surgeon said at the time and that is the stone would have caused more problems in the long run. The pain from it was awful. I too was on a non fat diet in fact scrambled eggs triggered mine and the pain never went. Let us know how you get on. Good luck x
    • Posted

I have numerous small stones on one side of my GB and I am aware of it most of the time.   Are you still on a non fat diet.   If you're not it might pay you to carry on with it whilst your body recovers.  I know from my own experience that feeling and being sick all the time is just so awful and so lonely - that's how I felt.   I will let you know how I get on with my upcoming op.  
    • Posted

Thanks moonday. I am eating very little toast with no butter plain crackers mash potato chicken puréed carrots and parsnips and for lunch a plain sandwich with tuna or chicken with low fat mayo and no butter. Also plain boiled rice too. Keep to low fat after your mope ration for a few months even if you feel ok. Had a woman in the bed beside me in hospital a few weeks ago who had her gallbladder out that morning. She was eating fatty cakes that night and chocolate the next day! Everyone is different and our bodies respond differently to things. Most people recover very quickly after the operation and bounce back within 6-12 weeks. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them but there's nothing I can do about that now only hope I do recover and soon. Will be thinking of you on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes. By the way do you have any other symptoms other than that horrendous pain? X
    • Posted

It always feels "heavy" in the area of my gallbladder and I have tightness around my chest so much so I can't always wear a bra, and if I'm on my feet too long I experience that awful pain which radiates round to my back at the top right.  But the pain of a flare-up is awful - it's in a class of its own -  and can get scary.  I definitely won't be taking chances with anything fatty whilst recovering and even then I shall take it slowly.  What I don't understand is we are born with a Gallbladder and it has a job to do, but there doesn't seem to be any info on what you should take. I did read somewhere that people take Bile Salts but the surgeon I saw dismissed that idea as bad!
  • Posted

I am three weeks out from surgery and still have some pain and very tired.  This is a difficult road and seems especially so for you. I hope you recover completely though it is slow.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thank you phil. I hope you recover quickly too. Did you have laprascopic surgery? Mine turned into open surgery. Was 3 hours in theatre. It's been hell. I wish you a speedy recovery. X
    • Posted

Mine was laproscopic. The surgery went fairly quickly and i was told that i should be  headed home by 12.30 or so.  The surgery was at 9.30.  I didn't get home until 8.  So much pain, they gave me 2 doses of morphene in addition to the regular pain medication. Communicated the surgeon several times and he wants to give it a little more time. Still suffer from pain, discomfort, weak spells.  Keep us posted on your progress. I know the difficulty I have been in for only three weeks. I am only empathize with your situation, but hope it gets better for you asap. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.