Weakness and nausea 4 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 38 users are following.

well it's been 4 months since I had the gallbladder removed on Tuesday and I'm no better. Still persistent nausea no appetite dry wretching or sometimes vomiting in the morning and horrendous weakness. It's been the worst 4 months of my life. Waking up in the middle of the night every night with the nausea sometimes at 230am and can't go back to sleep. Some days it eases off by lunch time some days it doesn't. Have been in and out of hospital and have been told it's a side effect of the surgery and it's very rare. Have found other people who had gone through similar experiences and it can take 6-9 months to recover. Have posted on this before but got little feedback. Just posting again in case there's anyone this has happened to or that they may know of this happening to. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

2 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

sorry can't really help.I have just been diagnose with gallstones,really pain full,hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

thank you,I have been given pills to help stop the pain but it is not working,going to talk to my doctor and see if it would be better if they removed my GB,don't really know much about this as it is all new to me..have been on a low fat diet for 3 weeks now,eating very little as feel sick when I do eat.it nice to know there are people like yourself out there that understand the pain of GS.whent to A&E but they sent me home with pain killers.had scan last tuesday and was told on wednesday that I had GS.I was so relieved as I felt that the doctors I had seen were not listening to me.take care of yourself x

• Posted

Try Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon in a cup of hot not boiling water 3 times a day. Good for the pain and can help dissolve the stones in some people. I was diagnosed in October while having ultrasound for other pain but had no symptoms until I ate scrambled eggs at the beginning of November and the pain never went after that and had the surgery in December. X
    • Posted

thanks for the advice,will try it.I thought scrambled eggs would be ok to eat if they were cooked in the micro wave,still got a lot to learn,I see you didn't have to wait to long for your op.hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Keep away from eggs and the usual fatty foods and also broccoli and green veg As they are hard to digest. Yes eggs are full of fat and they triggered my one and only long attack. Take care. X
  • Posted

PS what you should take after the op ...
    • Posted

Stick to very low fat diet. No dairy any red meat or any green veg broccoli in particular. Keep it very plain. Your doctor will probably tell you that you can eat normally but stick to the low fat for a while. Some hospitals give you A diet sheet. Mine didn't but I couldn't eat anyway! Best of luck and let us know how you get on. Will be thinking of you. X
  • Posted

Yes aceJohnson this has also happen to me I really thought it wad my hernia but my doctor told me also is the side affect of my surgery don't no how long it will take to wear off but gud news to me it will and I'm up all times of the night to but I have found pepto bismol helps very well
    • Posted

Thank you Fergus. Glad I've found someone who knows what I'm going through. It's horrendous isn't it. When did you have your gallbladder removed. Are you vomiting as well or do you just have the horrendous nausea too? Any dry heaves at all? Sorry for all the questions. Are you getting any sleep and have you seen any improvement? I'm wide awake now at 2am and have the nausea. Only took the anti sickness tablet a few hours ago. Are you taking any of them either? Thanks
    • Posted

Yes Ace I am up all times of the night with just the nausea no I'm not vomiting I feel like I wanting it's like it be right in my throat but don't wanna come out and yes it is horrendous and no I'm not on Amby meds for it besides the pepto bismol no improvements and yes my gallbladder had been removed about 2 1/2 months ago it seems very agonizing I can't stand it and my apatite is very slim to none and when I do eat it makes it worse so I try to find things dat don't make me nauseous and don't worry about asking question ask on I don't mind I wish I had some I would ask you quite a few bit I'm just sitting back waiting patiently for it to gradually vaporate because it is really irritating and aggravating I'm sure you understand what I mean but feel free to ask all the questions you like I'm here we will get threw dis together ok I pray God take this away soon but we ate gonna get the this you got to go threw to get threw and dat myth alone helps me get threw these hard times with out my gallbladder because sweetie let me tell you its not all what is cracked up to be Keo you head up and be strong let me how you male or I pray we both start to feel better😎😎😳😳😓😓
    • Posted

Hi Fergus am so sorry your going through this as well. I'm awake since 2am with the nausea. Have you got it all day too? I can't eat much either. What have your doctors said and do you know anyone else whose gone through this as well? No haven't slept for weeks and dint know if I can take much More of this. It's hell on earth. Are you extremely weak too? I can hardly get out of bed some days it's that bad. I met a woman who went through something similar and she said it took over 6 months to settle down. I see no signs of it going yet? Are you dry heaving at all? I find the middle of the night and the morning the worst and can't function at all. Some days it eases off after lunch and I can eat and feel normal for a few hours. It's great to finally talk to someone who understands. I don't think we are alone either as I have heard of other people who were the same for 6 months and then it started to settle. Did you have the diarrhea at all? I had it for 6-8 weeks was absolutely dreadful. I feel a shadow of my former self and am so frightened it won't go away. It's hard to stay positive but at least I can talk to you now if that's ok with you. God bless you.
    • Posted

Yes you can talk to me Ace and I'm up all times of the night I hafta take sleeping pulls to get sleep I c av therapist bcuz my doctor tells me I hafta go threw this and it is nothing I can do I felt like it wad going to drive me up the wall my husband was upset bcuz I want going to bed with him at night we didn't have a night life together he would go to bed I would stay up bcuz of my feeling awful and I don't have the dry Heaves I just have the nauseas feeling and weakness and cold sweats at night and light headed as well they say is the gallbladder and I just had another surgery for a hernia from the gallbladder surgery the doctor that did my surgery for my hernia told me that the surgery for my gallbladder caused my hernia and it could of ended up really bad for me if the hernia would of cut the circulation off to my biles it could of squeezed my biles and killed them and I would of really been bad of but I didn't hafta go threw that I just had a hernia repair and now I'm recovering from that which is hell with the nausea and stuff but God's will help us get threw everything. Let me know how you're doing and keep me posted you can always talk to me sorry I didn't get back to you right away I had to have this surgery so anyway I'm back Ace and I'm here to talk to ic you need me God bless you
    • Posted

Hi Fergus I'm so sorry you had to have a hernia operation after your gallbladder removal. That's horrendous. As if recovering from the gallbladder wasn't bad enough. I am 4 months post op today and it's been hell on earth. Wish I could have my gallbladder back would prefer the pain from the gallstone to this nightmare. I have vomited since Monday which is good but have been dry heaving all week and can't sleep with the nausea. I can totally relate to how your feeling. It's very difficult to deal with physically and mentally especially when you didn't have these symptoms prior to the surgery. Are you able to eat at all and do you have the nausea 24/7. I have it bad in the middle of the night and the morning and sometimes it eases off by lunchtime. Had your doctors seen this before and are they telling you it will settle down. I have heard of this happening to a number of people but they all recover eventually. They don't know why this happens to some people and not to others. All our bodies react differently to things and it's a big adjustment to the digestive track that takes time in some of us to heal. I am exhausted from the lack of sleep as I am sure you are too. Hopefully this nightmare will end for us soon. If the vomiting would stop I'd feel a lot better. Take care. X
    • Posted

Hi Ace I can eat soft stuff nothing to Solis or it will just sit on my stomach and take forever to digest I don't eat that much I eat very Yes the doctor tell me it will settle down but don't know how long it will take just as you say it seems like a never ending feeling and nightmare that I feel will never go anywhere, I'm glad we can talk to one another but as I said I am recovering from this hernia surgery I just had it on 4/7/15 so I'm gonna try and eat this pot pie and sleep a bit I send many prayers and wishes for our better health and keep writing me I'm reading them all the time I write you when I'm able ttyl 😉😉😉😊😊😊😆😆 keep a smile threw the pain and agony. ...
    • Posted

Hi Fergus how are you doing? Hope your feeling a little better. Have you had the nausea since the gallbladder operation? I had mild nausea afterwards and diarrhea for about 6-8 weeks and then the nausea got worse and I started vomiting and dry wretching as well. I haven't vomited in 6 days so please God I am turning a corner but still have the horrendous nausea and weakness. My bowel feels inflamed now from the bile so am waiting for my surgeon to do a scope to see what's going on. I am so sick of feeling like this. I just want this nightmare to end and fast but unfortunately I've been told it will be a gradual thing. Please God the vomiting has stopped and the nausea will start to ease soon. I'm thinking it will be another 2 months of this as from what I've read it's anywhere from 3-6 months in most people with some having nausea for a little longer (9 months) I hope you are managing to get some sleep. I am still not sleeping great at all with the nausea. Take care x
    • Posted

Yes Ace I am getting a little sleep but I believe it's only bcuz of the pain meds from my 2nd surgery and the nausea had subsided for the moment again I believe it's bcuz of all dats going on with dis surgery I'm greatful for it but I'm in some great deal of pain as well what I think is going on is my mind isn't on the old problem it's on the new problem so I'm just dealing with everything right now I still don't have much of an apatite I am eating very little and being very picky about what I eat I'm glad your vomiting had stop and I'm so sorry dat your not getting any sleep I'm so happy dat you are finally turning your corner to recovery is a wonderful thing isn't it I pray dat you have a 100% full recovery we both deserve it we all deserve it I'm still praying for both of us to get dat Ace dis had been a very challenging thing and I pray your bile don't be to much trouble for you I'm sure it's very uncomfortable for you I pray for your comfort to get well soon and please keep me and everyone on this forum in your prayers talk to you soon😉😆😆
    • Posted

Hi Fergus am glad to hear you are getting some sleep and the nausea is gone. That's good news. Am sorry you are in pain but it's early days from your second operation and you will recover from this. I agree we both deserve to recover 100%. It sucks we are in the small few that have had side effects. I am trying to stay as positive as possible and keep thinking about the people I have heard of who have gone through this too and came out the other side 100%. I hope it won't be too much longer for us as I don't think I can take much more of this. I just want to be me again. My husband thinks I have made a little progress as I haven't vomited in 6 days but I can't stick this nausea and the way it makes you feel. I know a man who had it for 4 months and he had it 24/7. He couldn't eat or sleep with it and nearly lost his mind. It gradually went away for him too and he's perfect now. Hope is all I have to hang onto now. Who could have thought a straight forward operation could leave you like this. Take care x
    • Posted

Hello. I know it’s been 3 years since your post but you as just wondering how you are doing? Please send an update. I am going through something similar after having my gallbladder. I hope you’re doing well. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi

I had mine out 8 weeks ago

I have morning nausea and a bad taste in my mouth that gags me. Some days diarrhea others almost normal. I had no idea this would happen. I am glad to know it should go away but in the mean time ive lost about 15 pounds. Im so discouraged, I just want my life back. Im sorry i had it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.