Weakness and nausea 4 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 38 users are following.

well it's been 4 months since I had the gallbladder removed on Tuesday and I'm no better. Still persistent nausea no appetite dry wretching or sometimes vomiting in the morning and horrendous weakness. It's been the worst 4 months of my life. Waking up in the middle of the night every night with the nausea sometimes at 230am and can't go back to sleep. Some days it eases off by lunch time some days it doesn't. Have been in and out of hospital and have been told it's a side effect of the surgery and it's very rare. Have found other people who had gone through similar experiences and it can take 6-9 months to recover. Have posted on this before but got little feedback. Just posting again in case there's anyone this has happened to or that they may know of this happening to. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

2 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can't believe you are still suffering!!  I do wish you could speak to others who have experienced this, but it does seem quite rare.  Lucky you!  Not the kind of lottery anyone wants to win.

It's a long struggle for many of us and it can get discouraging, especially as you have been in hospital for lengthy periods with no relief.  You continue to be in my thoughts.  You deserve to get better soon!!

• Posted

Hi ndm thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you are feeling better and the diarrhea has settled down for you and you can eat a bit better. Haven't vomited in 6 days so am praying this is the beginning of my recovery. If the vomiting stays away I feel my body will recover. Only problem Is my bowel is acting up a bit now. Hopefully it will all settle too. Anyone I have spoken to that has gone through this or similar said it took 6 months for it to settle so hopefully only 2 months more of this to go! Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Ace, glad to have an update on you and hope you continue to improve. I am now 1 month since surgery and have begin to feel like, I am actually better.  Still have aching and generalized pain. Though I am post-op, I still tried your suggestion of apple cider vinegar and I believe it really helped with bloating and gas, as well as pain. Good luck and be better!
    • Posted

Hi Phil thank you for your mail. I am delighted to hear you are nearly recovered. It's good to hear a positive story. I haven't vomited in a week today so fingers crossed things are improving. I still have the horrendous nausea but hopeful in time that will go too and I can get back to some normal life. This has been very hard on my family especially my 4 year old son. Had I known this was going to happen I definitely wouldn't have had the surgery. Take care and keep me posted on your progress. X
  • Posted

Hi Ace

sorry to hear you are still suffering after having your op,I have been told by my gp that having the op might not stop the pain,don't know if he was trying to put me off but the pain is too great at the moment.I do hope you find someone who has suffered in the way you have as talking to some one who knows where your coming from really helps

Take care

best wishes

Pat

• Posted

Hi pat thank you for your kind words. I wish I had of spoken to my gp prior to the operation. I just dealt directly with my surgeon who told me I would be much better without that stone. What's killing me is my gallbladder wasn't inflamed at all was just having the pain from the stone. I wish I could turn Back time. The only thing I will say is that the pain from the stone has gone since the operation. I haven't vomited in a week but still have this horrendous nausea. It's difficult when you haven't really anyone to talk to who has gone through this although I did meet a woman in hospital who went through this too and she has text me a few times to say it will settle in time. I am beginning to have a little hope as I haven't vomited in a week and no dry heaves in a few days either. I am very very low and this is taking its toll on me. My husband is a fantastic support and keeps telling me I will get better and they I have improved even in the last week. I am very frightened that I'll never recover from this. The nausea and weakness that comes with it is horrendous. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. Have you many gallstones and is your gallbladder inflamed? X
    • Posted

Hi Ace

my doctor never told me how many gs i have or if my gb is inflamed.I think I will ask the surgeon when I see him on the 27th April.I due to go back to work tomorrownow and am just wondering if I'ill beable to cope,might take my mind of the pain,i hope.I'm sorry you feel that you would turn back time if you could and not have the op but at least you say your pain has gone away but feeling sick all the time is no joke I'm sure.

Hope you are on the mend

keep in touch

take care

Pat 

• Posted

Hi pat wishing you the best of luck in work tomorrow. Hope it goes ok for you And the pain isn't too bad. Take care
    • Posted

Hi acijohnston!  its val here!   Really sorry your going through so much.   Thank god like me you have a good husband who supports you!   Hope you get better soon sweetheart!   Thinking of you always.   Take care, and god bless.  my thoughts and prayers are with you.   Val.
    • Posted

Hi Val thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so scared I'll never get better even though I know it's an improvement that I haven't vomited in a week. I just want to be me again and afraid I won't be. How are you doing now? X
    • Posted

Hi acijohnson! I'm not too bad,  but still get the occasional nosia and the d!   I get my self into a state when i get the nosia, because as i've already stated in this forum, i've got a fear of vomiting, and i panic when the nosea comes incase it leads to the dreaded V.  my doc has given me buccastem to try and help.   Sorry to be going on like this, as you've got enough troubles of your own!   Take care, and keep us posted.  mail me anytime, i'm always willing to listen.  I think when you know that there's always someone willing to listen to you and talk to you, you don't feel so alone!   Take care sweetheart!   Big hugs!   Val.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Val. I agree the nausea is the most horrendous thing ever. I could cope with diarrhea but this nausea and how weak it makes you feel is terrible. I am trying to remain positive but I feel I shouldn't have had the operation at all. I had pain from the one large stone but my gallbladder was Fine. I'm thinking that is why I'm so sick cos a healthy organ was taken out of me. I know my surgeon thought he was doing right as I had the pain but I would give anything to have my gallbladder and stone back because I feel my life is over. I just want my life back. I cry every day wishing I could turn the clock back but I can't. Please please God I won't be left like this. My husband keeps telling me I'm improving as I haven't vomited in a week but I just want to be better. Unfortunately from what I've found out it will be a gradual thing. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you x
    • Posted

Hi sweetheart!   I know things seem real bad at the moment, but it won't always be like that!   When you start to feel better, you'll be glad that you got the g out.   I had to get mine out under emergency as it was very badly diseased, and the pain and everything else was awful.   Try not to cry and get too down darling, and do keep me posted.  Lots and lots of hugs, and thinking of you all the time.   Don't forget, i'll always be here if you want to unload yourself.   Take care sweetheart.   Val.  xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your very kind words and support. I think I'm just at the end of my tether with it all now. How long since you had the operation? Are you fully recovered? I just want my life back. We take so much for granted in life. The simple things like eating! I'm eating all low fat plain Food and have no appetite. My husband knows of someone who went through the same thing but also had the diarrhea too. She couldn't get out of bed before 2pm everyday as she were so sick. It went on for 6 months. She fully recovered and can eat what she wants now. That gives me some hope. I am very anxious because of this and can't sleep either. Thanks again for your support. It means a lot to me. X
    • Posted

Hi Sweetheart!

I  got my g removed on the 21st November 2014.   I'm just starting to really get my appetite back, but still sometimes scared to eat incase it brings on that awful nosea, and vomiting.   Take heart sweetheart things can only get better, and hopefully that won't be too long.   In the first few months of my recovery, I used to get very depressed, and thought i'd never get my life on track again!   I don't know what i'd have done if it hadn't been for the support and encouragement of my wonderful hubby.  I really don't think i'd have got through it without him or my very dear friend Dawn who calls me Grandma!  Take encouragement from the support and encouragement your husband's giving, and don't forget, i'm always here for you.   lots of hugs, and you will get there!   Please keep in touch with me.   Val.   xxxx

• Posted

Hi Val did you have nausea and vomiting after your gallbladder was removed? I didn't realise that. At least you understand what I'm going through. The nausea is horrendous isn't it and the vomiting is violent. I had mine out on 9th December so not too Long after you. Great to hear your appetite is coming back. I don't think mine will come back until this nausea goes away. It's great to have a supportive husband. Am so lucky. He is heartbroken this has happened to me but keeps reassuring me that I am making progress and will get better. Thanks again for your support. X
    • Posted

Hi sweetheart!  I didn't have the vomiting, but had the dreadful nosea and the d and bloating!  My doc who is wonderful, and knows about my fear of vomiting, gave me buccastem to help with the sickness.  I still get the nosea occasionally and hate when it comes!  When it does, i'm so scared to eat!  Keep hanging in there, and things will get better for you, i'm sure of that!   Keep smiling, and keep in touch.  God bless, my thoughts and love are with you.  Keep in touch.   Hugs.  Val.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Val. That's good to know someone else who had the nausea and diarrhea. I hope the diarrhea has settled for you now. You take care of yourself too and thanks so much for your support. Love and hugs x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.