Weakness and nausea 4 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 38 users are following.

well it's been 4 months since I had the gallbladder removed on Tuesday and I'm no better. Still persistent nausea no appetite dry wretching or sometimes vomiting in the morning and horrendous weakness. It's been the worst 4 months of my life. Waking up in the middle of the night every night with the nausea sometimes at 230am and can't go back to sleep. Some days it eases off by lunch time some days it doesn't. Have been in and out of hospital and have been told it's a side effect of the surgery and it's very rare. Have found other people who had gone through similar experiences and it can take 6-9 months to recover. Have posted on this before but got little feedback. Just posting again in case there's anyone this has happened to or that they may know of this happening to. Any feedback welcome. Thanks

2 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

well its 4 and a half months since my gallbladder was removed. I haven't vomited in 17 days thank god. I still have the horrendous nausea on a daily basis and now i have pain were the gallbladder was under my ribs and in my back. It's a similar pain to the gallstone pain. So am now wondering what is causing this pain. I haven't had the pain since before the op but now I have it and it's very painful. Am now convinced More that ever that I didn't need to have my gallbladder removed. I have also had some indigestion but know this is common and hopefully it will go away. I am still eating very plain low fat food and haven't added anything back into my diet. Had some bile diarrhea last week and am taking psyllium husks which seem to be helping absorb the bile. I don't know how much longer this nightmare will continue. Hopefully things will settle down soon although I feel I have a long road ahead. X
    • Posted

Oh my sweetheart!   Sorry your having so much trouble again!   Maybe you need to have some more investigations to see that your liver's working ok.  Please keep in touch and let me know what's what.  Thinking about you every day, but can't alway send a message, as my computer plays up!    Lots of love and hugs!   Grandma val.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Val for all your kind words and support. Woke up this morning with no pain thank god but my bowel doesn't like this bile at all. A lot of pain in the bowel and a lot of loose stools. Think it's inflamed from the bile. Going to see my doctor tomorrow about it. The nausea went early yesterday morning so I felt normal for a good few hours and brought my son to the park. It's back again this morning. He had an ice cream which he insisted I share with him. Spent the evening on the toilet. I just wish someone could wave a magic wand and I'd be normal again but I am starting to accept that I'll never be the same again and the things I took for granted (eating normally!) I'll never be able to take for granted again. I hope your doing ok too. Take care and thanks again. X
    • Posted

Glad to have the update, Ace.  Hope you continue to improve. Let us know what the doc says. I am still having abdominal pains, but they have been better today.  
    • Posted

Thanks Phil. Glad you are improving too. Are you taking digestive enzymes? Might be worth a try. They are recommended for people who have had their gallbladder removed. They help to break the fat down in the food. Could help the tummy too. I just started pysllium husk with digestive enzymes Today so will let you know how I get on. Take care. X
    • Posted

Please do let me know, Ace.. I will check out the digestive enzymes.  Sounds like it might be a good solution.  Keep getting better!

• Posted

Hi Ace, I've also had this unpleasantness happen to me quite recently. I had my gallbladder removed in August 2014, took two weeks of work, felt sore for the third week and I hadn't had any problems until nine months later.

When I went to the emergency room they told me it was leftover sludge from the surgery, I've been out of the hospital for about a week now but I'm still feeling nausea, tired, zero appetite, and a general uncomfortableness where my bile duct would be.

I'm thinking it's less of a side effect and more of my body still acting as if it has a gallbladder, because the way it was explained to me the liver would take over its duties.

I'm going to see my family doctor in a few weeks so hopefully I can get better answers then.

For now I hope the pain/nausea is at least tolerable for you.

• Posted

Hi amandamadeline sorry to hear your experiencing this nausea. It's horrendous isn't it and very debilitating and the weakness that comes with it is horrendous. I've had this for 14 weeks now! It started 6 weeks after my operation. Am starting to have good days where the nausea goes early in the morning and I feel normal for the rest of the day. It's strange because it seems to be every 2nd day I feel ok and the other days I have the nausea nearly all day. I hope it settles down for you soon and you feel better. Take care
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear all the post surgery stories. I am 4 months post and today I was researching to see why I'm so tired, but mine is minor compared to what I am reading. I do feel much better after surgery. I had a cryst and pylop on my gallbladder so my dr took precautionary measures. I do have minor discomfort and I miss my GB but I glad it was taken as several dr said it could have turned in something worst. I had a friend and yes hers couldn't be removed as it was GB cancer. I think in time I hope all of you recover soon. Just know that it could have been worst like my friend. My only problem is a little constipation and a little tiredness. No problems with sleeping or major nauseous. I try to watch my diet but I eat everything and very little trigger my stomach. If I need to relieve myself after 2 days I will eat a trigger food. I hope my story is testimony that good days are soon to come. Always remember "this too shall pass". Good luck all.

• Posted

I am currently suffering from gallstones and a fatty liver im not sure if they are combined but i found that drinking organic apple juice 8oz twice a day helps with the symptoms and also with breaking down the gallstone the acidity in the apple juice helps . And dont take omeprazole it does more damage than good it stops the production of acid which your body needs to break down food so your body stops producing as much and when you stop that medication symptoms are worst after the 5th day of stopping that medication the pain comes back with a vengeance. And also goji berry juice helps in aid with liver and gallbladder problems. I hope this helps .
  • Posted

Hi 

I know its been over 2 years, I was wondering if you got any better, cause I had my ga

• Posted

Hi there yes I got better and can eat normally again. I tend to get constipated a lot which is a common side effect of the surgery. I hope things settle for you soon. 
  • Posted

I just read your comments about how you feel after your gall bladder surgery. I can't believe how similar your symptoms are to my daughter. She had hers out 5 weeks ago and she's miserable. She also has had every test possible. Did you find any relief and how Long did it take? My daughter  has put her life on hold as she was going to college and couldn't get through clicials due to feeling sick. 

• Posted

I know how your daughter feels, had mine removed in Feb and feel constantly nauseous yet putting weight on....just want to feel well again!!
    • Posted

Hi there yes I recovered but it took a long time. For most it settles in 3-6 months and there are some of us who take a bit longer to recover. It took week over a year before it started to settle down but I'm fine now and can eat normally again. I hope your daughter feels better soon. It is horrendous. My own daughter is now being tested for gallbladder disease. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.