Weaning off Xarelto to aspirin?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've been on Xarelto going on for about 1 and 1/2 year, since May of  2014. I was placed on it for having a second case of PE's in the lung. I've had two cases of PE in total due to taking birth control. After running other blood tests, I don't seem to have any serious blood cloting condition other then my blood cloting from the birth control. Soon after having my second case of Blood clots and being placed on Xarelto I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid.

Anyways, I wanted to ask is it possible to wean off of Xarelto and being placed on an aspirin instead?

I was told I had to be on blood thinners the rest of my life. I don't think I want to risk being on Xarelto the rest of my life, especially since there have been cases of interal bleeding, no way of rapid reversal (like warfarin) and also the fact there's not a lot of studies on the effects of taking Xarelto long term. I've been on Warfarin for my first case of PE's but it gave me alot of UTI's so I don't think I want to go with that either.

I live a very healthy lifestyle now with my diet. I'm on a gluten free, dairy free, soy free diet, and have no problem getting in a lot of foods and vitamins that help to thin out the blood. 

Would a lifestyle of a daily aspirin and some Vitamin A and E pills be good enough at thinning out the blood in exchange for Xarelto the rest of my life?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

For what it's worth, I have researched the NAOCs and would not consider Rivaroxaban due to bleeding risk (even before the latest doubts) .  If you really do need an anticoagulant, Apixaban currently seems to have good efficacy with the least risk.     
  • Posted

I had my bilateral pes in November 2016. I came off apixaban in may and now on baby asprin and fish oil. My last ct scan in August was clear and no permanent damage they can see. I still get paranoid that i will get another one but try to take it one day at a time. They are not 100% aure what cause mine possibly kicking a door over 20 times and being in a psych hospital for 8 days. Not sure tho. Hopefully thwy dont xome back.
    • Posted

Hi samantha, 

I had a re-occurrence after being off the NOAC's for 7 months. Mine is from damaged veins in my leg. Take care of yourself and if you suspect any issues get yourself to hospital, just in case.

• Posted

Hi Samantha

how have you got in with your blood clotting? Everything still ok?

• Posted

So far so good. Sometimes I think I've got another one but I think it's just anxiety. Because it goes away.

• Posted

God, yes, it does get the old anxiety going :-(

Fantastic to hear that all is well with you :-)

• Posted

How are you doing? You still on thinners?
    • Posted

Yes, I am. I haven't been able to make it a priority until recently. All my GP says is that I must stay on them. I did manage to persuade them to let me switch to Warfarin lat year but when I found out the testing regime. it wasn't going to fit with my plans for that year which involved being off grid, to a certain extent, in the wilds of Spain. So, I've got to sweet talk them again. At the moment I am battling their interference with my thyroid and another auto-immune condition which I don't feel I have got a handle on managing yet. Also, trying to sort out a problem with an old injury to my knee :-(  So, it may not be this year. 

I met someone recently who mentioned her husband got himself off blood thinners but she seems reluctant to tell me what he did. I'm not pressuring her but I have reminded her she was going to talk to me about it. Hopefully soon.

• Posted

What caused your pe that you where put on thinners and are still on them? Mine may have been from kicking a door so many times but there not for sure. I didn't have anything in my legs just pes. But here's the funny part. I never saw a pulmonologist when I initially had the pes. But when I had a reaction to a beta blocker in October of 2017 I went and saw one because it cause a weird breathing issue. I asked him to take a look at my old ct scan from my pes. Which when I had my pes it was not the greatest hospital. He looked at it. Came back but 15 minutes later said honestly I can't confirm or deny you had pes because the ct was not good. So. With that said. I'll never really know.

• Posted

I had long standing varicose veins, followed by phlebitis in 2007 and that is where my DVT was born, 2016, in that same area. My first PE's were from this DVT that broke up and distributed itself in my lungs causing extreme breathlessness but no pain. I was on the thinners for 6mths after that one.

5 Months after coming off the thinners I get another clot in the left lung which was massive, painful and came on without warning. The Drs have not been able to find a cause but given that a clot the size of the second one can give you a heart attack or damage the valves they quite rightly suggested permanent use of thinners. All my blood tests before this all started were spot on, except my thyroid was under-medicated, GP said i passed the MOT. 6 mths later I got my first clot while in a very stressful situation that went on a while, very high blood cortisol and extreme lack of mobility, basically tied to my laptop and a sofa or driving. that's my story :-)

I am still hoping to manage my way on to more natural alternatives but not sure when yet, more info needed.. 

• Posted

Wow. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 36.

• Posted

58 years young :-)

It seems you still have questions about your health. I found that getting a full copy of my medical records, inc. letters from hospitals etc was very eye-opening and enabled me to take some action about issues which my GP's obviously didn't think were important or not their area of expertise i.e nutrition. I believe that from May they have to give you a copy of it, if you ask and there is no payment due. At the moment you have to pay. 

:-)  

• Posted

Hi there, just wondered whether you found a way?

I've been on xarelto for 5 years now...and I'd love to find an alternative.

Thanks

• Posted

I would advise against withdrawing from your Anticoagulation therapy, given your history - which places you in a high risk category.

I would advise that you switch to Apixaban, as I did two years ago, on the advice of my Consultant Haematologist.

Significantly reduced risk of an internal bleed that Rivaroxaban.

As for an Antidote - the antidote has been developed and passed through the rigorous testing and its release is imminent.

In addition, all UK hospitals are aware of the process to manage a significant bleed. Fortunately, should such a bleed occur, the ‘half life’ of Apixaban is twelve hours, which means that the drug is eliminated from the body relatively quickly.

• Posted

Thanks, I'll look into it. It's hard for me to do two pills daily on a constant schedule wthout fear of missing a dose. Doctor has also recommended switching to pradaxa. So I'm not sure which to go with

• Posted

Hi I have been on Pradaxa since August of 2017. It's hard to remember to take 2 pills a day. The only problem I have with it is one of the side effects is a rash. I have blotches here and there. It does not itch. But its ok just having to learn what not to eat. Has anyone broke out with a rash?

• Posted

Hi charlene, I had a rash when I was first prescribed Rivaroxiban but it went away after a bit. 

2nd time around, when I was told I need them permanently, I was given the Apixaban but I had terrible pain in my veins and like you, twice a day is more difficult to manage.I asked to go on the rivaroxiban due to those issues. I struggle as it is to do the once a day because I have to have it with a good size meal and when that happens varies. Vein pain did continue for a while so maybe it was going to happen whichever NOAC I was taking. 

I still plan to get myself onto Warfarin and gradually reduce dose, as my liver enzymes have deteriorated since starting on the NOAC's .

:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.